Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Miller & Kreisel S-1B satellite crossover update
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2018, 04:41 AM   #41
kenwood61 is offline kenwood61  United States
diyAudio Member

You got me. It was the end of a busy work day and obviously I was talking out of the side of my head

Makes sense on the 5% tolerance. The stock caps were 10%, so that should make easier.

As a general rule, don't most really good brands tend to understate their values a little?
Old 17th April 2018, 04:42 AM   #42
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Tolerances are tighter in film than electrolytic. Almost every film cap I ever bought, regardless of marking, was within 1%.
Old 17th April 2018, 05:18 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

I think some of this is sinking in. I have a thread going over at AK, so now I have you and another guy giving me some good insight, and I should add, telling me the same thing, which is reassuring. So thanks!

What I'm now realizing is that the original design used 10% tolerance components (caps/resistors), which means I have a bigger range of values to choose from even if I limit myself to values within +/-5% ... since many of the MKP caps I'm looking at are typically 1%. So C1 can be +/-0.8uF for the 16uF cap. Am I'm getting this now?

Since the price of Audyn Q4 0.01uF, 400v MKP's at Parts Express are only $1.37, I could grab a batch of those ... unless I can find a smaller same value "bypass" cap. I need to look around since C1/C2 are tight spots and I don't know how close my bypass cap can be to the contour adjust pots or inductors.
Old 17th April 2018, 06:06 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Yes.

Depends how fancy you want to get. Some makers measure every driver individually, and adjust the crossover parts independently.

I mean, just because they used 10% parts doesn't mean they didn't cherry pick. However, upgrading, giving yourself a 5% leeway in nominal part values is reasonable.

Best,

E
Old 17th April 2018, 06:25 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Thanks Erik!

I hope to have time to figure my parts list out today ... I'll post to see if I'm missing something, or ordering something I don't need. L8r
Old 18th April 2018, 09:56 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Well, didn't get parts yet. Waiting for some recommendation's from Parts Connexion. Hoping to hear back today or tomorrow. I'm curious to see if I can get all or most of my parts from them. I've always had good service and product from them.

Erik, have you tried the Vishay Roderstein MKP1837 0.01uF bypass caps? There are more than a few favorable reviews. They are squarish, rather than round, but if the leads are long enough to reach around to the "main" cap, I can see them working.

Cleaned the back side of one crossover board. You can eat off it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MK_S1B_crossover-clean.jpg (200.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 19th April 2018, 12:24 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Crhis at PC is fabulous.

Nope. Never tried them.

Best,

E
Old 19th April 2018, 01:26 AM   #48
electrafixion71 is offline electrafixion71  Canada
diyAudio Member

I updated a pair of M&K S-1B's a few years ago, including the crossovers . I used Mundorf electrolytics sourced from Parts Connection; these aren't exotic, but they were reasonably priced and came in the correct values. One of those terrible speaker wire pinch terminals was broken on mine, so I cut them out, and glued a piece of ABS in their place. I installed modern 5 way binding posts in the ABS, and squeezed a wire from them to the back of the PCB. The final result worked out well. I was never able to find a purpose for the second set of inputs on the speakers, so I never connected them at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MK S-1b - crossovers.jpg (271.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg MK S-1b - new posts.jpg (284.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 19th April 2018, 05:38 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Nice work Elextra! How did they sound afterwards?

I've never heard the Mundorf electrolytics.
Old 19th April 2018, 03:38 PM   #50
electrafixion71 is offline electrafixion71  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Nice work Elextra! How did they sound afterwards?

I've never heard the Mundorf electrolytics.
Unfortunately the speakers weren't functional when I first acquired them, so I can't provide a before and after report on the sound of the recap. Each side had a bad mid, and someone had "tinkered" with one of the crossovers replacing caps with a combination of different electrolytics and film caps. I bought used mids off eBay, and restored the crossover caps to factory values based on a schematic posted elsewhere on this site. The sounded very good once I got them back together. I also had the matching sub which was 100% original, and matched very nicely.

One more thing that just came to mind...I had to cut down the length of the binding posts to get the crossover board back in place. It was a bit if a hassle, but those factory pinch terminals are so horrid it was worth the effort.

Last edited by electrafixion71; 19th April 2018 at 03:41 PM.

Miller & Kreisel S-1B satellite crossover updateHide this!Advertise here!