Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Miller & Kreisel S-1B satellite crossover update
Miller & Kreisel S-1B satellite crossover update
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2018, 09:13 PM   #31
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Also, you don't necessarily need to replace every resistor there around the switches. Truth is those are set and forget.

Personally, I would bypass the switch entirely, reducing the possibility of arcing and added resistance through a dirty switch. Later models used SPDT type switches instead.

Best,

E
Old 15th April 2018, 11:13 PM   #32
kenwood61 is offline kenwood61  United States
diyAudio Member

I use a Hakko FX-888D with T18-D24 chisel tip.

I normally don't replace resistors when they are functioning, unless there is a sonic benefit, so if you are suggesting I just leave those alone, I can do that. It's not like I can't come in later to update those, but my plan is to do this once on these.

I appreciate your suggestion of bypassing the switch, but since there is a chance I will move these on down the road, I feel it's important to keep that functionality. Call me old fashioned.

So two last questions. Were you confirming that I need to remove the solder on those speaker terminals at the pcb to remove?

Do you have recommendations on C1/C2 ?

Thanks for your time and help!
Old 16th April 2018, 12:22 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

I am pretty sure yes, you need to remove the speaker terminal solder.

For the size, Mundorf MKP are really hard to beat. I prefer Clarity, but again, physical size is a limiting factor.

You could also try replacing with a bi-polar electrolytic, leaving the last uF or so film.

Best,

E
Old 16th April 2018, 02:31 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

All the caps are bi-polar, but I'll look at the prices/sizes on Clarity and Mundorf.

I'm confused by your comment "leaving the last uF or so film" ... I assume you are referring to C5 which is 4uF ... but the "or so" part got me.
Old 16th April 2018, 06:45 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Sorry, no.

I meant to put a non-polar electrolytic with a film in parallel whose sum is the necessary uF you need.

So, perhaps a 15uF NPE + 1 uF film. Saves money, and space.

Best,

E
Old 16th April 2018, 04:47 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Gotcha.

Thanks. I'll work up my parts list today and post.
Old 17th April 2018, 01:34 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

I can't believe that none of the brand capacitors I'm looking at have any of the values I'm looking for. I guess speaker design made a change somewhere along the line where 4/8/16/18/32 ohm values were no longer used.

It sure is easier to work on amps
Old 17th April 2018, 02:21 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I wondered about that. Those are some odd values. Still, that's an advantage. YOu can find 15uF, and add 1uF in film to get 16, or add 3.3uF to get 18.3uF (close enough)
Old 17th April 2018, 02:55 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Yeah, I wondered about that. Those are some odd values. Still, that's an advantage. YOu can find 15uF, and add 1uF in film to get 16, or add 3.3uF to get 18.3uF (close enough)
You just hit on a point I was going to ask about. Is there a variation to ohm rating that is acceptable, or universally agreed that it will not negatively effect sound quality? And if so, I assume that it's better to be "just over" the stock value as opposed to "just under". Sorry for all the questions, but this is helpful for me to learn.

I have been looking at a few different online shops and I may end up buying from two places, which I wanted to avoid paying shipping twice. Parts Express has some cheap Audyn Cap Q4 1.0uF 400V MKP for only $1.77 each

Audyn Cap Q4 1.0uF 400V MKP Metalized Polypropylene Foil Crossover Capacitor

... of course, they are almost three times the size of the stock value caps in there now, but if the leads are long enough, I might be able to set on top of NPE's and put wire insulation on the leads.
Old 17th April 2018, 04:20 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Caps are in microfarads, not Ohms. Written with a mu ( like a little u ) and an F.

I try to get as close as I can, but look at the cap values. Usually there will be a tolerance, like 5%.

That tells you the caps are +- 5% and you can use that as a guide. Many like Audyn, just keep an eye on physical size!

Best,

E

Miller & Kreisel S-1B satellite crossover updateHide this!Advertise here!