thin gauge air core inductors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like that woofer drops to minimum of about 7.8ohm at 200Hz. Three in parallel gives 2.6ohm. If you added 1ohm series resistance that gets you to 3.6ohm which would generally be accepted as a "nominal 4ohm" design. Adding the 1ohm series resistance drops the level by 2.83dB @ 200Hz, less at frequencies where the impedance of the drivers is higher e.g. there will be virtually no change in level where each drivers impedance is >>7.8ohm such as at the resonant peak. You should sim this as it'll make quite a dramatic difference to the response.

Since two drivers gives +6dB and three drivers gives +9.5dB, you might find two drivers is a better design since you won't need to suffer any attenuation from adding excessive series resistance (the impedance is already 3.9ohm) giving flatter response.

Last edited:
thanks TMM and everyone for replies. For a couple of reasons I will still try with 3, I can see its a bit of a challenge and may not be perfect. The 20awg jantzen aircore inductor looks to be around 1.3ohm. So will trial different inductors and move the crossover point and see what works best

Last edited:
According to DIN standard, nominal 4-ohm loudspeaker should have minimum impedance higher or equal to 3.2 ohm. Inductor with 0.6 ohm resistance (normal, usual value) gives total minimum of 3.2 ohm between 150 and 400 Hz with three woofers in parallel. That is perfectly acceptable load for Arcam or Luxman amplifier, so no need for thin wire (high awg) inductor.
Anyway, I would use two, rather than three woofers in parallel.

Ok, so a fair amount to think about.
Pls don't think I'm asking and not taking advice given(which I know happens alot); being a product designer, I want to see if I can overcome these problems to a degree that can be workable. I've also got a soft spot for these speakers..
TIDAL-Akira-021.jpg

Ha, if you are designing high-end loudspeakers, than ridiculously low impedance is the most desirable feature! :D

This is true! It makes the speakers more "discerning" of amplifier drive capability, leading to the false impression they are better in any way at producing music.

The idea goes like this: If a speaker can tell which amplifier is better, by sounding different, then it must be able to extract every iota of musical detail from a recording.

The only honest low-impedance speakers I know of are ESL's and the Apogee ribbons.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.