Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Validating LA transmission line box in Hornresp: how to simulate line stuffing?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2018, 02:18 AM   #1
altie is online now altie
diyAudio Member

Default Validating LA transmission line box in Hornresp: how to simulate line stuffing?

I have a transmission line(-ish) box designed for a Peerless 830883 in Leonard Audio Transmission Line. It requires about 0.5lb/ft^3 of stuffing before the response flattens out enough that it looks like something I would want to use though.

The box is not precisely a transmission line: it has a fairly large open volume behind the driver, followed by a tapered tube is quite a bit shorter than the intended quarter wave tuning.

Because the box does not fit the precise definition of any particular type of enclosure I know of (would this qualify as a TH or BLH?), I wanted to validate this in another program. When I set up a similar enclosure in Hornresp, the peaks and nulls seem to show up right around the same frequencies as they do in LATL, they're just so tall that it doesn't look like a usable response. Is Hornresp able to simulate stuffing? It looks like it used to have an option to that's not there anymore. And anyway, who do I trust here?

Last edited by altie; 11th April 2018 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11th April 2018, 02:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like MJKing of quarter-wave.com fame posted some measurement results of his empty vs. stuffed cabinets here: IMF Transmission Line Stuffing? | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums that would seem to agree with what Leonard Audio is telling me, so that's good.
Old 11th April 2018, 03:34 AM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

From the description you have a saline — Augspurger has a more descriptive name, can’t recall it. Can you post a sketch?

dave
Old 11th April 2018, 03:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Something in this ballpark. Rms and Mmd aren't correct because they're not given directly in the spec sheet and I haven't backtracked through T-S formulas to figure out how to compute them.
Attached Images
File Type: png peerless830883-hornresp-1.png (16.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: png peerless830883-hornresp-2.png (8.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: png peerless830883-hornresp-3.png (12.7 KB, 132 views)
Old 11th April 2018, 03:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The idea for construction being that the tube could be folded down behind the cabinet and then forward so that it exits in a thin, wide front-facing slot.

Last edited by altie; 11th April 2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11th April 2018, 04:32 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Note that if you are going to read the AudioKarma thread that keilau is way out to lunch.

In a daline Scott has recently shown that mounting the driver not at the end, but on the side where the line starts will decrease the ripple.

dave
Old 11th April 2018, 07:03 AM   #7
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altie View Post
Rms and Mmd aren't correct because they're not given directly in the spec sheet and I haven't backtracked through T-S formulas to figure out how to compute them.
1. Double-click on the Sd input text box in Edit mode to enter driver Thiele-Small parameter values as shown in Attachment 1.

2. Resulting equivalent electro-mechanical driver parameter values should be as shown in Attachment 2.

3. Select the Loudspeaker Wizard tool to add absorbent filling material as shown in Attachments 3 and 4.

You have specified radiation into eighth space (Ang = 0.5 x Pi) - is this what you want?
Attached Images
File Type: png Attach_1.png (31.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: png Attach_2.png (53.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: png Attach_3.png (43.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: png Attach_4.png (55.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 11th April 2018, 01:28 PM   #8
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

Augsperger called a TL that had a large chamber at the beginning appended by a longer section with a constant but smaller area a Coupling Chamber design. If you taper that appended section, which I have done quite successfully, I'd still call it a coupling chamber design. George indicated the coupling chamber "should" contain about 1/3 of the total line volume, but my experience says it can be more, like 1/2.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
From the description you have a saline ó Augspurger has a more descriptive name, canít recall it. Can you post a sketch?

dave
Old 11th April 2018, 04:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Awesome, thank you all, especially David for your contributions and help with hornresp. What you're showing in those attached images looks very close to what I was seeing in LATL, so that's encouraging. I'll try plugging those numbers in and playing around with it.

@planet10, yeah, I get that about the AudioKarma thread. It's kind of morbidly amusing to see someone just dig in deeper when the person they're accusing of fabricating ideas posts their own measurements that confirm their theories which in turn have been confirmed by someone else's master's or PhD thesis, as well as by others using their software. It seems pretty clear to me reading that thread who is participating in good faith and who is not.

@pkitt, thanks for the recommendation on Augsperger and coupling chambers. That looks like a rich topic to dig into. In the meantime, any designs of yours that you can share?
Old 11th April 2018, 04:54 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx Paul.

dave

Validating LA transmission line box in Hornresp: how to simulate line stuffing?Hide this!Advertise here!