Tekton is using up all the Beryllium!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no idea how it sounds, but I can't really stop laughing. Thoughts?

With DSP using tweeters like that for the midrange could be used to control beamwidth but the drivers look too far apart vertically to do likewise when crossing between the types of driver. But I haven't done the sums and may be wrong.

Of course it is most likely the usual audiophile nonsense but DSP is enabling one or two interesting new things.

Actually I like the hexagonal array of tweeters. I think it's a pretty clever solution to the coaxial vs. separate drivers. In past designs, this array was both tweeter, and mid.

I'm not sure how he's using them here. Are the hexagons now just mids? If so, I cannot imagine they'd be better than cones of similar diameter, just a lot more expensive.

Best,

E

Last edited:
Mmm. I see since launching this Be dome model the following priceless drivel has mysteriously vanished from the page of the cheaper silk-dome version:

Important Note: did you know sound waves travel through beryllium over 37 times faster than sound waves travel through air?! Talk about a mismatch and a serious conflict of musical interests! Sounds travel through pulps and textiles at or less than the speed of sound through air so air always wins the race over the transverse propagation of the vibrations through the cone. In my opinion, beryllium pistons are a giant no-no as the vibrating source of your sound.

​For example: in a beryllium-based acoustic device, the vibrations travel through the beryllium transversely and internally from the voice coil source to the outer cone edge 37 times faster than the sound can radiate from the inner-center of the cone to the outer edge of the cone through the air. Anyone care to listen to a solid beryllium or magnesium violin? Highly doubtful.

Give me strength. :rolleyes: Give me strength.

Do those tweeters achieve constant directivity or are they just marketing gimmick??

From the Double Impact page:

Proprietary controlled directivity - acoustically superior proprietary polygon-oriented, triple-ring radiator high frequency array. This array disperses a precisely focused acoustical power pattern of that of a horn or waveguide without the audible ringing influence of horn flare walls constraining the soundwave for acoustically superior mid-range high frequency performance

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of course he deserves to be ruthlessly mocked for his techno-poetry. But!
Pinheads mocking him on the internet SELLS.
Patents SELL.
Marketing drivel SELLS.
Speakers that are easy loads and play loudly SELL.
He's not unhappy with a dis-favorable rating from us tire kickers.

The website is full of bizarre designs

So long as people are daft enough to pay that sort of money for those speakers they will keep making them.

I am perfectly happy with my 1980 Fane 12-50WRMS in a W bin.
Paid £20 for the speaker second hand and whatever it cost to build the w bin out of plywood.

Attachments

• folded.jpg
    folded.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 447
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.