When to use Zobels and Notch filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IME with fitting Zobel (RC) networks across both drivers of an 8" two way with the box consequently measuring flat impedance to past 40kHz is that the low bass and upper highs extensions were both improved.
Image depth and LR positional accuracy were both improved, as was the overall sound with reduction in 'fatiguing' factors.

One point not discussed so far is that such zobel networks fitted directly across driver connection terminals will serve to 'quench/dissipate' RF pickup, and this may be of direct benefit in itself....most loudspeaker internal wiring presents significant loop area.
I have not bothered to measure/investigate RF pickup of drivers/loudspeakers.....anybody tried this ?.

Theory/simulation states that driver 'impedance correction' is of nil benefit, my experience indicates that the extra expense is subjectively very much worth while.

Dan.

Has this been mentioned yet?

One of the times you might want to use an LCR impedance flattening notch is on a woofer in a 3-way when the inductor is large enough and the xo frequency close enough to the woofer's Fs that the interaction produces an unwanted peak just above Fs.

Have a look at some of Troels' big multi-way builds as he's probably the person I see using it the most. DIY-Loudspeakers. The downside is that the component values will likely be large and expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.