Want to buy a Bluetooth speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JBL Charge 2 Plus

This exact model is not the newest, loudest or bassiest, nor does it have the latest bluetooth codecs, but it does have the most natural and balanced frequency response I have heard from a little bluetooth speaker. It also has a aux input and a large battery that you can plug a USB cable into to charge your phone. It's about $100 US.

JBL Charge 2 Plus

This exact model is not the newest, loudest or bassiest, nor does it have the latest bluetooth codecs, but it does have the most natural and balanced frequency response I have heard from a little bluetooth speaker. It also has a aux input and a large battery that you can plug a USB cable into to charge your phone. It's about $100 US.

I agree, after listening to a dozen models and buying 4. The Denon Envaya mini had slightly better sound (only when sitting directly in front) but broke 3 times, with almost no battery life.

This is by far best bt speakers reviewer on YT...YouTube
Yes, absolutely the best! With frequency response measurements!
Subscribe and donate, he deserves it, and more!
YouTube

Oluv made the magnificent comparison tool, the "Switcher" - there you can find binaural recordings of all bluetooth loudspeaker he reviewed, so you can A/B any of them!

Last edited:
Make no mistake, do not by any bluetooth loudspeaker before you visit the Oluv's YouTube channel:
YouTube

There is allot of useful info there but I would approach his reviews with some caution. I used his guidance to buy the Denon and it was complete trash. So many thing wrong with it that he didn't ponder on:
- off axis, even slightly, was unlistenable with no high end and the stereophonic processing sounding very phasey. You had to sit right in front
- he misrepresented how low frequency compression works in these, saying its tied to volume control setting (its not, its tied to output level)
- terrible battery life rendered it nearly useless
- construction quality was poor, it broke first trip I took it on. I've taken my JBL on a dozen without a scratch.

I spent a summer without a bluetooth speaker with constant return & repairs after buying his recommended denon.

I owned the Bose (gift) and the bass was completely resonant and overdone. I returned it as I found it very coloured. Same with the JBL model above the Charge in price, nasty peaky boomy on its low end.

I've designed many speakers and favour neutral sound, someone that likes boomy has many other options.

I bought the JBL Charge 2 Plus on this Oluv fellow's advice (from his blog)
I agree with his conclusions. This one is a keeper. Every time I hear another BT speaker I am struck by how bad it sounds, and that includes every BOSE and the bigger JBL.

Oluv's Gadgets: Review: JBL Charge 2+ where's the plus?

There is also the Riva Turbo X. If I were going to replace my JBL and didn't mind it being bigger and more expensive I would try it. I haven't heard one though.

Oluv's Gadgets: Review: RIVA Turbo X - Vrrooommmm!!!

There is allot of useful info there but I would approach his reviews with some caution. I used his guidance to buy the Denon and it was complete trash. So many thing wrong with it that he didn't ponder on:
- off axis, even slightly, was unlistenable with no high end and the stereophonic processing sounding very phasey. You had to sit right in front
- he misrepresented how low frequency compression works in these, saying its tied to volume control setting (its not, its tied to output level)
- terrible battery life rendered it nearly useless
- construction quality was poor, it broke first trip I took it on. I've taken my JBL on a dozen without a scratch.

I spent a summer without a bluetooth speaker with constant return & repairs after buying his recommended denon.

I owned the Bose (gift) and the bass was completely resonant and overdone. I returned it as I found it very coloured. Same with the JBL model above the Charge in price, nasty peaky boomy on its low end.

I've designed many speakers and favour neutral sound, someone that likes boomy has many other options.
No one is perfect. In a view of that, Oluv's reviews of bluetooth loudspeakers are simply the best on the net. His reviews are packed with relevant information and measured frequency responses. And the best: everyone can listen himself to binaural recordings of all reviewed loudspeakers and A/B them. Some may object this kind of comparison, but for now there is no better way - except direct hands-on listening.
- Heavy DSP processing is a norm in a bluetooth loudspeakers, and very often it is overdone and the sound can very phasey, indeed. If there is a "3D mode" I wouldn't use it.
- On many loudspeakers there is a sync problem between loudspeaker volume control and smartphone volume control. I don't know about Denon, but I have BT loudspeaker (cheap Chinese stuff) which low frequency shape is tied up to the speaker volume control setting, not the actual output volume.
- Oluv on several occasions warned about short battery life of Denon.
- Construction quality and durability can be accessed only after some time of actual (mis)using. Too much for a free review.
- All portable bluetooth loudspeakers have boomy bass (and some are just terrible). They are not hi-fi loudspeakers.

No one is perfect. In a view of that, Oluv's reviews of bluetooth loudspeakers are simply the best on the net. His reviews are packed with relevant information and measured frequency responses. And the best: everyone can listen himself to binaural recordings of all reviewed loudspeakers and A/B them. Some may object this kind of comparison, but for now there is no better way - except direct hands-on listening.
- Heavy DSP processing is a norm in a bluetooth loudspeakers, and very often it is overdone and the sound can very phasey, indeed. If there is a "3D mode" I wouldn't use it.
- On many loudspeakers there is a sync problem between loudspeaker volume control and smartphone volume control. I don't know about Denon, but I have BT loudspeaker (cheap Chinese stuff) which low frequency shape is tied up to the speaker volume control setting, not the actual output volume.
- Oluv on several occasions warned about short battery life of Denon.
- Construction quality and durability can be accessed only after some time of actual (mis)using. Too much for a free review.
- All portable bluetooth loudspeakers have boomy bass (and some are just terrible). They are not hi-fi loudspeakers.

I think I agree with almost everything you say. However, it doesn't invalidate my points:
- Oluv's help is amazing and selfless but read with caution (probably no different than many audio reviews). He also stated battery wasn't problem. I couldn't get 30 minutes out of it, its a huge problem and makes the unit almost useless. He also dramatically underplayed the negatives of the signal processing.
- Charge2+ doesn't have boomy bass, as a few of us have stated. It's worth looking into. I've measured its frequency response, that of the Bose, Denon and and a higher end JBL.
- DSP algo (compressor or stereo enhancer) isn't defeatable unfortunately. I'm very familiar with these algos, I used to develop similar ones professionally. JBL did a fantastic job on the compressor in the Charge 2+

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have the JBL Charge Extreme (got it as a gift). I like the sound; seems to has lots of bass but that's probably a 100-200 Hz hump.

Overall the sound is pretty good; better than any portable speaker I have heard so far (UE, BOSE and my old B&W). Haven't used it outdoors yet since it's too cold.

It can also charge a phone or tablet twice and it's splashproof.

Well, considering this is a DIY forum:

It's easy to make your own bluetooth speaker. I have a pile of these and I use them all over the place:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For $80, they get plenty loud and you can use them to power anything. In my garage, I have them hooked up to a Kef concentric that I got off eBay for $80, but I also have them hooked up to my testing rig. (The Sabaj has a remote and about 3 inputs iirc.)

About six months ago I tried to build a Bluetooth Synergy Horn, but wound up killing the project because the midranges didn't work in the design.

Embarrassingly , correction:
- Charge 2 was boomy to me. Not as bad as most but it had a localized bass peak that made it drone if the song had that note. All my JBL recommendations are for the Flip3, but its a small unit. They elevate the top end a bit but its not bright.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.