Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

KEF Q150 T/S parameters
KEF Q150 T/S parameters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2018, 04:07 PM   #1
mauroa is offline mauroa  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default KEF Q150 T/S parameters

Hello all,
i'm just getting back into DIY speakers after quite some time away. This is my first post on this forum.

I am planning a project using drivers from the KEF Q150B. I'm taking the drivers out and making a Tline (or similar) with low level Xover with bi-amping.

I just bought a pair of Q150Bs and need to get the T/S numbers. I have done a bunch of searching but have not been able to get the T/S parameters online.

Does anyone have them or seen them online?

I bought a Dayton Dats system but it wont ship for a few weeks and wanted to start doing some design work.

thanks
Mauro
Old 30th April 2018, 10:15 AM   #2
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Make sure to post the measurements
Old 30th April 2018, 10:26 AM   #3
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

They take little time in the market for T/S measurements I think.

Meanwhile, would not it be more logical to first try to improve, spending little, the crossover and the furniture like me with KEF Q100?

And after, if you want, add one or two subwoofer.
Old 30th April 2018, 03:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgunder View Post
Make sure to post the measurements
will do! stay tuned. Measurements are done.
Old 30th April 2018, 03:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maty tinman View Post
They take little time in the market for T/S measurements I think.

Meanwhile, would not it be more logical to first try to improve, spending little, the crossover and the furniture like me with KEF Q100?

And after, if you want, add one or two subwoofer.

Hi Maty,
yes that makes sense as an easy improvement, and i will probably do that as well to see if my cabinet makes any improvements. The goal for the t-line is not to extend bass significantly, but rather to make a different kind of cabinet. the design is still in process. as it becomes more mature i will share here. it will definitely have a sub or two.
Old 1st May 2018, 09:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here are the parameters i measured for the drivers in the Q150B using delta mass. I used very sticky slime i stole from my daughter. Also i did the measurements multiple times with weights spanning about 2x the weight i included here. Vas came out at the same value within +/- 5% across all masses and multiple measurements at each mass so i think that means the measurements are reasonable.

driver was placed with the magnet down - ie cone was horizontal. not sure if that makes a difference or not.

let me know if these look reasonable.

thanks,
Mauro
Attached Images
File Type: png Q150B.PNG (236.4 KB, 206 views)
Old 12th January 2019, 11:03 PM   #7
aarons915 is offline aarons915
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroa View Post
Here are the parameters i measured for the drivers in the Q150B using delta mass. I used very sticky slime i stole from my daughter. Also i did the measurements multiple times with weights spanning about 2x the weight i included here. Vas came out at the same value within +/- 5% across all masses and multiple measurements at each mass so i think that means the measurements are reasonable.

driver was placed with the magnet down - ie cone was horizontal. not sure if that makes a difference or not.

thanks,
Mauro
Any updates on thi? It's definitely an interesting project. Do you happen to have raw measurements of the drivers or a combined response? There isn't much out there of the Q150 yet.
Old 13th January 2019, 03:07 AM   #8
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroa View Post
They're awfully close to my LS50 driver measurements, so I'd say "reasonable."
Old 13th January 2019, 08:42 AM   #9
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

@Mauro: Piston diameter seems too low for 5.25" midwoofer. Did you derive it measuring from 1/2 of the surround ?
Old 9th November 2019, 11:25 AM   #10
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

Just got the KEF Q150. I'm impressed! by Laurent231Qc Oct 5

Just got the KEF Q150. I'm impressed! - Album on Imgur

Optimized pictures.

[ Sound:

First, I must say that I'm very impressed by these speakers. The bass they produce is unexpected for their size. It is deep and very present, but it is not the punchiest bass I've heard. Even if they produce a good amount of bass for a 5 1/4 '', it is very precise. Sometimes it sounds boomy, but it really depends on the song. They have a very very good midrange. Vocals are sound rich and full. It is their strong point. I don't have much to say on the midrange honestly, it just sound good. The highs extend very well and are well balance. It doesn't sound harsh at all. They sound relaxed if I can put it that way.

Soundstage:

They produce a phenomenal soundstage and imaging. It's by far the best I've heard. They do need to be placed correctly though.

Build/finish:

They seem well built. At this price it's obviously a vinyl finish, but it looks very good and well made.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new purchase. They sound way better than my last speakers. I got the at a discount (398$ CAD) and at that price it is worth it. I tried other speakers at that price point and the KEF Q150 simply sounded better than the others.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the frequency response of the my KEF Q150 in my room. They have a small foam that I can put in the back port to change their bass response. In purple, there is no foam. In red their is half of the foam. In green there is all the foam.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the frequency response separated. In purple, there is no foam. In red their is half of the foam. In green there is all the foam. ]

Last edited by maty tinman; 9th November 2019 at 11:35 AM.

KEF Q150 T/S parametersHide this!Advertise here!