KEF Q150 T/S parameters

Hello all,
i'm just getting back into DIY speakers after quite some time away. This is my first post on this forum.

I am planning a project using drivers from the KEF Q150B. I'm taking the drivers out and making a Tline (or similar) with low level Xover with bi-amping.

I just bought a pair of Q150Bs and need to get the T/S numbers. I have done a bunch of searching but have not been able to get the T/S parameters online.

Does anyone have them or seen them online?

I bought a Dayton Dats system but it wont ship for a few weeks and wanted to start doing some design work.

thanks
Mauro

They take little time in the market for T/S measurements I think.

Meanwhile, would not it be more logical to first try to improve, spending little, the crossover and the furniture like me with KEF Q100?

And after, if you want, add one or two subwoofer.

Hi Maty,
yes that makes sense as an easy improvement, and i will probably do that as well to see if my cabinet makes any improvements. The goal for the t-line is not to extend bass significantly, but rather to make a different kind of cabinet. the design is still in process. as it becomes more mature i will share here. it will definitely have a sub or two.

Here are the parameters i measured for the drivers in the Q150B using delta mass. I used very sticky slime i stole from my daughter. Also i did the measurements multiple times with weights spanning about 2x the weight i included here. Vas came out at the same value within +/- 5% across all masses and multiple measurements at each mass so i think that means the measurements are reasonable.

driver was placed with the magnet down - ie cone was horizontal. not sure if that makes a difference or not.

let me know if these look reasonable.

thanks,
Mauro

Attachments

• Q150B.PNG
    Q150B.PNG
    236.4 KB · Views: 736
Here are the parameters i measured for the drivers in the Q150B using delta mass. I used very sticky slime i stole from my daughter. Also i did the measurements multiple times with weights spanning about 2x the weight i included here. Vas came out at the same value within +/- 5% across all masses and multiple measurements at each mass so i think that means the measurements are reasonable.

driver was placed with the magnet down - ie cone was horizontal. not sure if that makes a difference or not.

let me know if these look reasonable.

thanks,
Mauro

Any updates on thi? It's definitely an interesting project. Do you happen to have raw measurements of the drivers or a combined response? There isn't much out there of the Q150 yet.

Just got the KEF Q150. I'm impressed! by Laurent231Qc Oct 5

Just got the KEF Q150. I'm impressed! - Album on Imgur

Optimized pictures.

[ Sound:

First, I must say that I'm very impressed by these speakers. The bass they produce is unexpected for their size. It is deep and very present, but it is not the punchiest bass I've heard. Even if they produce a good amount of bass for a 5 1/4 '', it is very precise. Sometimes it sounds boomy, but it really depends on the song. They have a very very good midrange. Vocals are sound rich and full. It is their strong point. I don't have much to say on the midrange honestly, it just sound good. The highs extend very well and are well balance. It doesn't sound harsh at all. They sound relaxed if I can put it that way.

Soundstage:

They produce a phenomenal soundstage and imaging. It's by far the best I've heard. They do need to be placed correctly though.

Build/finish:

They seem well built. At this price it's obviously a vinyl finish, but it looks very good and well made.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new purchase. They sound way better than my last speakers. I got the at a discount (398$ CAD) and at that price it is worth it. I tried other speakers at that price point and the KEF Q150 simply sounded better than the others.

index.php

Here is the frequency response of the my KEF Q150 in my room. They have a small foam that I can put in the back port to change their bass response. In purple, there is no foam. In red their is half of the foam. In green there is all the foam.

index.php

Here is the frequency response separated. In purple, there is no foam. In red their is half of the foam. In green there is all the foam. ]

Last edited:
KEF Q150 for $300 - Kefdirect.com, Amazon.com and Crutchfield.com

by poseidonsvoice

In the graphs you posted, the 320dB vertical range makes the curves look purposefully and artificially flat. Great for marketing, but poor for engineering and seeing the truth. Tell the OP on Imgur to set it to a 50dB scale and try again. 1/12th or 1/6th octave smoothing for the horizontal range should give us a decent idea of the FR in a room which is the best you can do. Or tell the OP to take it back to KEF’s anechoic chamber to get it properly measured!
by maty

I know it is artificially flat softned, like many others graphs. The major difference with KEF Q100 is they have "V" response, easily modified with a new crossover taking advantage of the original components to spend money (Zvu) or with minimum-phase PEQ.

* Minimum Phase vs Linear Phase | Page 7 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

* Minimum Phase vs Linear Phase | Page 16 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Let us see if someone is encouraged and makes complete measurements, without softening the frequency response like Zvu or Danny Richie.

But for now...

Last edited:
KEF Q150 measurements, by Danny Richie

KEF Q150... can it get any BETTER?
KEF Q150... can it get any BETTER? - YouTube

It seems to be worse than the previous model, the one I have, the KEF Q100, in measurements and in quality of woofer filter components. For a long time I have covered the Q100 front bass-reflex, recovering the bass with the equalizer. And other EQ + rePhase -> convolution.

Last edited:
KEF Q150... can it get any BETTER?
KEF Q150... can it get any BETTER? - YouTube

It seems to be worse than the previous model, the one I have, the KEF Q100, in measurements and in quality of woofer filter components. For a long time I have covered the Q100 front bass-reflex, recovering the bass with the equalizer. And other EQ + rePhase -> convolution.

I want to use a Q100 or Q150 driver as a basis for a DIY project. Will cross likely at 200Hz and drive everything active.

Is the driver from the Q100 or from the Q150 better and preferable? I can get a pair of used Q100 fairly cheap, but would buy a new Q150 pair if the expense would be worth it.

Thanks, I'll pay 160 Euros for a pair (with slightly damaged corner of one box -- which I don't mind when only using the drivers...)

Curious if I will succeed in making a custom R3-like speaker for my nearfield desktop use. I will be going active and pair it with a Wavecor WF182BD09. :)