MTM and Two Chanel amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I understand the way you mean but wouldn't you be losing a lot of wattage doing it that way? The amp is rated at "50 watts" a channel so that's split between the two mids and the other 50 all for the tweeter, some of which will be reduced with the crossover

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I understand the way you mean but wouldn't you be losing a lot of wattage doing it that way? The amp is rated at "50 watts" a channel so that's split between the two mids and the other 50 all for the tweeter, some of which will be reduced with the crossover

At normal listening level, you will likely be using 0.5 watts...

The amp is the TDA7492 (not familiar with it BTW)?

Running the MTM woofer in parallel will give 3 ohm which will probably kill the amp and in series will give 12 ohm where the amp would have lower power.

Suggest a TM or TMM or TM 2.5 way with one amp driving the TM and the other driving the second woofer M. This will place a better load for the amps.

You still need a crossover and the crossover to the midwoofers would be different from a MTM to a MT+M. The tweeter would be the same but each woofer would now need it's own crossover with the original values changed..... inductor x 2 and cap divided by 2 (see pic).

Attachments

• MT+M.jpg
    MT+M.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 190
By separating the 2 woofers and the 1 tweeter it also gives you the ability to adjust the volume of the 2 sets individually. The tweeter will probably be different volume than the woofer. The woofers should be the same to each other. So put the woofers together on one channel and then put the tweeter in its own channel. Now you can use a volume control of some kind (like a diy preamp) to adjust the “left” (woofers) & “right” (tweeter). And if the amp has a volume control, it probably adjusts both together which is fine once they are trimmed independently.

By separating the 2 woofers and the 1 tweeter it also gives you the ability to adjust the volume of the 2 sets individually. The tweeter will probably be different volume than the woofer. The woofers should be the same to each other. So put the woofers together on one channel and then put the tweeter in its own channel. Now you can use a volume control of some kind (like a diy preamp) to adjust the “left” (woofers) & “right” (tweeter). And if the amp has a volume control, it probably adjusts both together which is fine once they are trimmed independently.

Have a look at the impedance of the woofers (see post #1&6). That's the reason for the odd bi-amp arrangement.

No, the xo takes care of that. It's when you start to parallel woofer drivers or run them in series you can place unreasonable loads on the amp or have the impedance too high for best amp performance.

BTW.... nice job on the speaker.

Last edited:
My woofer's are rated 65-6500hz 6ohm and the tweeter 1000-20,000hz 8ohm. I wanted to cross them over at 3000 but also lower the tweeter by 7db.

What's the best way to go about it?

I've waxed the oak and sprayed it black now

Attachments

• 15228656598241732992120.jpg
    15228656598241732992120.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 87
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.