Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

TL cabinet rear port
TL cabinet rear port
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2018, 05:27 AM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

TL cabinet rear port
The Radford S90 really made an impression on me when i 1st heard it in the early 1970s and lead to a facination with TLs.

Bt throw that all out. None* (well not much) of classic TL is worth anything. Get a hold of Leonard Softwares TL Modeller (thread here) or HornResponse and model the line.

*for intstance, the Sd of a driver has nothing to do with designing a TL. Like all other boxes Fs, Qts, Vas are what impact the line.

Start by reading everything here: Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

dave
Old 28th March 2018, 01:39 PM   #12
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

A 1/6-wavelength line length! Why?
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams Audio View Post
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the answer. Very nice of you.
The idea is from RADFORD S90 I built long ago.
This one, is very basic calculation of 1/6 wave length, the TL is about 2m long, 2x6=12 , 340/12=28.3 Hz; just like this, the size of the port 1/3 of the woofer effective surface which is 220 cm², so is 14x5.5 cm, I don’t have any other calculations.
The enclosure is tapered like a trapezoid, not to complicate it too much suppose it is rectangular, will ease the calculations.
If you know what software is available, or basic calculus, it can help me very much.
Best regards.
Williams
Old 28th March 2018, 03:57 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

TL cabinet rear port
Paul, i missed that… A pipe is only ever a half wavelength resonator (both ends open or closed) or a quarter wavelength resonator (one ends open, one end closed).

dave
Old 28th March 2018, 04:20 PM   #14
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hopefully it's not that 1/6 wavelength twaddle from a few years back. I remember sitting that one out, mainly because I was unable to type due to rolling on the floor.

For the OP: just to repeat what Dave said & Paul hints at. You can't have a 1/6 wave TL in this physical reality.

-A pipe open at both ends is a 1/2 wave resonator.

-A pipe open at one end and closed at the other is a 1/4 wave resonator.

Those are what the laws of physics dictate. You can certainly have one of those general types of pipe tuned to 1/6 wavelength of a particular frequency, but that's just an unnecessarily complicated way of saying you've a pipe of either type tuned to a higher frequency.
Old 28th March 2018, 05:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

That's exactly what caused me to ask the question about why 1/6 wavelength line. I do remember the same twaddle and couldn't believe what I was reading from that idiot.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Hopefully it's not that 1/6 wavelength twaddle from a few years back. I remember sitting that one out, mainly because I was unable to type due to rolling on the floor.

For the OP: just to repeat what Dave said & Paul hints at. You can't have a 1/6 wave TL in this physical reality.

-A pipe open at both ends is a 1/2 wave resonator.

-A pipe open at one end and closed at the other is a 1/4 wave resonator.

Those are what the laws of physics dictate. You can certainly have one of those general types of pipe tuned to 1/6 wavelength of a particular frequency, but that's just an unnecessarily complicated way of saying you've a pipe of either type tuned to a higher frequency.
Old 28th March 2018, 06:25 PM   #16
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Except that the line shortens when tapered for the same tuning correct? Maybe that's the source of the 1/6 length notion, as that would be close to what a 8:1 line does (I think).
Old 28th March 2018, 06:38 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

TL cabinet rear port
But this is a pre-chamber + a very slightly tapered pipe. With a restricted terminus and a driver offset. Too complicated to even guess. Needs to be modelled.

dave
Old 28th March 2018, 07:17 PM   #18
Williams Audio is offline Williams Audio  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

I found the 1/6 wave calculation in a kind of article, with tapered line as I wrote.
But I really like to see a real made project with basic calcs, that can enlighten me.
I think that always is a pre chamber and then the TL, can be linear or tapered, no? My woofer is Scan-speak 21W/8555-00 8'' .
I was reading the
Perry S. Marshall
A Derivation and Analysis of the Transmission Line Speaker Enclosure
A Report for Electrical Engineering 498M Topics in Acoustics and Audio
University of Nebraskaת Fall, 199
He is talking about 1/4 wave TL, so the 1/6 wave TL is some wrong choice.
Very difficult finding an easy formula, for a given woofer.
Williams
Old 28th March 2018, 07:31 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

TL cabinet rear port
The real TL models came in Fall 1999, everything before that should be tossed.

Prechambers are little used in modern TLs, usually you see a tapped line, often lines (usually straight-ones) will have a restricted terminus (ML-TLs).

Your concept does lend itself to a pre-chamber.

For some real-worl examples, read the stuff at quarter-wave.com (linked earlier). This from the guy that has done the basic work that has completely modernized TL design. Then look for modern TL designs from Scott Lindgren (Scottmoose*), Paul Kittinger (pkitt), Greg Monfort (GM), and Bob Brines to name the 1st ones that pop off my head.

*(i — planet10 — will often be associated with Scott’s work since i do the drawings)

dave
Old 28th March 2018, 10:17 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for including me in your last paragraph, Dave, along with the others, but just to clarify, my full last name is Kittinger, and I have two user names, depending on the forum, pkitt and Paul K.

I've used quite successfully a couple of times what might be called pre-chambers, but better defined by George Ausperger as coupling chambers.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The real TL models came in Fall 1999, everything before that should be tossed.

Prechambers are little used in modern TLs, usually you see a tapped line, often lines (usually straight-ones) will have a restricted terminus (ML-TLs).

Your concept does lend itself to a pre-chamber.

For some real-worl examples, read the stuff at quarter-wave.com (linked earlier). This from the guy that has done the basic work that has completely modernized TL design. Then look for modern TL designs from Scott Lindgren (Scottmoose*), Paul Kitt (pkitt), Greg Monfort (GM), and Bob Brines to name the 1st ones that pop off my head.

*(i — planet10 — will often be associated with Scott’s work since i do the drawings)

dave

TL cabinet rear portHide this!Advertise here!