Scanspeak 4 Way Active DSP Build with Illuminator/Revelator Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Minidsp 4x10HD only has one digital output and if you use it with a different DAC than inside the Minidsp device it may not match up so good.
---
Yes, the DACs are not fantastic, but good enough for testing. Been testing for 5 years now. :p

#metoo !
I am totally happy with the sound quality of minidsp 4x10HD, when used as xo for 4-way speakers! It actually was voted for the best sounding system at a national diy-aydio event! http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...aborative-speaker-project-49.html#post4335652

I haven't heard DEQX but I doubt that it is wort the investment. Najda is a possibility too.

I am totally happy with the sound quality of minidsp 4x10HD, when used as xo for 4-way speakers! It actually was voted for the best sounding system at a national diy-aydio event!
Glad to hear. The way I see it, with dsp's although they have been around for a while, they are gaining more popularity as active is becoming more common, as is digital. Hypex have on their website that they are going to release a new range of dsp's soon too. With using an external dsp (v plate amp or other inbuilt) means that it can be upgraded in the future when the technology advances or I want to upgrade.

DEQX is rubbish. Its old and outdated. Stick with your minidsp or better yet go for the Ultimate Preamp.
They are expensive and from what I can see only support a 3 way so ruled them out.

Contacted analog-precision a few days ago, still waiting for a response...

Glad to hear. The way I see it, with dsp's although they have been around for a while, they are gaining more popularity as active is becoming more common, as is digital. Hypex have on their website that they are going to release a new range of dsp's soon too. With using an external dsp (v plate amp or other inbuilt) means that it can be upgraded in the future when the technology advances or I want to upgrade.

They are expensive and from what I can see only support a 3 way so ruled them out.

Contacted analog-precision a few days ago, still waiting for a response...

Hi Mikes,

I've been overseas for 3 weeks and just got back. I was not able to access email via Webmail due to the two factor authentication not working properly. I am going through the emails now. What is your email address ?

regards
david

Simulations to refresh your memory on MTM vertical polar patterns for:
1) BW3 - wide
2) LR2 - narrower, less room interaction
3) LR4 - narrow at listener, but with expanded nearfield room interaction
4) BW3 tweeter + LR2 midranges - wider than BW3-BW3
5) The power response of odd-order crossovers is more uniform than that of even order crossovers
6) Active crossovers provide time alignment, so the equalized SPL and polar pattern determines the sound quality.

Attachments

• MTM polars.jpg
    MTM polars.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 376
A bit more progress this weekend. Have painted the inside with Bitumen Rubber paint. Seems to make a significant difference to the dampening when I knock on the box. If nothing else i certainly seals everything up nicely.

Also cut out the 32W woofer hole and finished all 3 chambers of the first speaker.

Cutting out the 21 mm wedges to make the speaker lean back and forward again at the top was a challenge. After attempting to cut and chisel out of a piece of solid mdf using multiple methods without an acceptable result ended up building up from 3 mm mdf slices glues together like a staircase. Divided the dimensions by 7 and cut progressively larger pieces and glued together so at one end it is 21 mm and 3 mm at the other. Then sanded to a wedge. The laminated result with all the glue seems to be a lot stronger and more uniform than my attempts with a single piece.

Photos here

Attachments

• IMG_8039.jpg
    IMG_8039.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 338
Simulation Software Query

Over this weekend I (almost) finished a side-side counter-force woofer cabinet with front-rear ports using two AES TD15S woofers, and was amazed at how little vibration remained.

If you dream about building a BIG Duntech WMTMW topology speaker, give some consideration toward two 12" side-side counter-force woofers instead of one front facing 15. Baffle simulations continue to support using deep shaped edge bevels like the pbn Montana.

Hi LineSource, could you state what software package you used for the simulation please? I am also preparing for a new project and your screen shots look very interesting.
Best Regards
Howard

mikes875
Flat baffles with BW3 on tweeter and LR2 on midrange.
If you are using a CAD tool like Vituix which accurately simulates both driver time step effects and crossover phase shift effects into the polar response, give some consideration to CAD experiments for flat baffles with BW3 on the tweeter and LR2 on the two midranges used in a short Center-to-Center MTM. The basic math predicts a broad polar pattern.

Finally listening to one of the speakers. Still lots of work to go, but couldn't wait to hear them. After a day with the test mic and REW I managed to get a respectable response curve, and already very impressed by the sound. Still a way to go though. See more progress photos here

Pleased with the 22W 8851's the response curve is as flat as a ruler. Was worried they wouldn't integrate well with the 12MU and that I should have used a 18WU instead, but from initial tests looks like they will be fine.

The sound of the 4 way is so different than my previous 2 ways, initially I was put off, something didn't sound right, but after listening for a while going back to the 2 way sounded lacking in the mid range and muffled in comparison once I got used to them. I think that is the trouble with DIY, you keep second guessing yourself. When you buy brand name they are what they are.

When I played Keith Don't Go by Nils Lofgren my wife started commenting on how if she closed her eyes it felt like he was in the room, and how much she liked the guitar work. I play that song all the time and it was like it was the first time she had heard it. So far so good...

Attachments

• IMG_8061.JPG
    IMG_8061.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_8063.JPG
    IMG_8063.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 336
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.