ScanSpeak Revelator 15W/4531-G00 and Classic D2905/9500 + Visaton WG148R waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
attachment.php

Hi everyone,

I've published a new loudspeaker design called "Revelation Two - M4 WG".

It uses the ScanSpeak Revelator 15W/4531-G00 mid-woofer and the Classic D2905/9500 tweeter paired with the Visaton WG148R waveguide.

It turned out to be a really nice combination. It has a LR2 cross-over topology and the cross-over point is 2.2kHz

For further details see: Revelation Two - M4 WG

Best regards

/Göran

Attachments

• RT-M4WG_15.JPG
    RT-M4WG_15.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,287
The symmetric crossover option is interesting,never seen that before,did you try it and what was different to the conventional layout.

There is no measured electrical or acoustical difference between the two cross-overs, but some claim that a symmetrical cross-over sounds better because of the presumed easier load for the amplifier.

Yes I've tried it, but I stand neutral in this topic and I say it's amplifier dependent if you notice any difference.

I gave it as an option because I thought it could be a nice touch for anyone to test and experiment with. This cross-over was suitable because it wasn't so complex and didn't require too much additional cross-over components.

Here is a commercial loudspeaker company using Symmetrically Balanced Cross-overs. Gauder Akustik

Regards

/Göran

Hi,
I was wondering how you feel this version performs compared to the flat baffle versions?
I understand the benefits of better power response and time aligning the two drivers, but how would you describe the difference in real world terms?

Hi,

I'm not sure I fully understand your question?

Since, I used a flat baffle enclosure from Dayton Audio for the Revelation Two - M4 WG you need to tilt the enclosure backwards by ~2 degrees in order to get a perfect phase integration between the drivers.

You can also turn it upside down and have the mid-woofer at listening height or even better make a custom built enclosure with a 2 degree sloping baffle.

Regards

/Göran

Hi Göran,
I think I'm just convincing myself not to build these he he.
I have heard the SS woofer in many different designs but only on a flat baffle and I guess high order and/or assymetrical crossovers.
They have had some great mids and incredible deep bass for a given volume, but none of them have been as coherent as I would like them to be. Low order crossovers with time aligned drivers are pretty addictive if you are lucky enough to hear it in a well implemented system.
I might just set off for your new design!
Regards
Christer

Hi Göran,
I think I'm just convincing myself not to build these he he.
I have heard the SS woofer in many different designs but only on a flat baffle and I guess high order and/or assymetrical crossovers.
They have had some great mids and incredible deep bass for a given volume, but none of them have been as coherent as I would like them to be. Low order crossovers with time aligned drivers are pretty addictive if you are lucky enough to hear it in a well implemented system.
I might just set off for your new design!
Regards
Christer

As I said in my other post, this particular driver has a unique split personality. It's a bit lush and warm on the mid and lower mid but as it moves to higher frequency it's a bit elevated so it may sound warm below and bright up top, so as you said, it may appear to have integration issue. I have worked with this driver before, so what I do is instead of trying to integrate the design, I learn to integrate my hearing and enjoy its midrange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.