Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Achieving full range sound in typical British living rooms - IPL Speakers S2TLK CD3.0
Achieving full range sound in typical British living rooms - IPL Speakers S2TLK CD3.0
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2018, 11:10 AM   #41
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just a little further documentation regarding the 3kHz dip in the IPL speakers. Linkwitz does the same:

Linkwitz the Psycho-acoustic 3 kHz dip

"Our perception of loudness is slightly different for sounds arriving frontally versus sounds arriving from random directions at our ears. The difference between equal-loudness-level contours in frontal free-fields and diffuse sound fields is documented, for example, in ISO Recommendation 454 and in E. Zwicker, H. Fastl, Psycho-acoustics, p. 205.
Diffuse field equalization of dummy-head recordings is discussed in J. Blauert, Spatial Hearing, pp. 363, and headphone diffuse field equalization by G. Theile in JAES, Vol. 34, No. 12.
Reference to a slight dip in the 1 to 3 kHz region for loudspeaker equalization is made in H. D. Harwood (BBC Research Department), Some factors in loudspeaker quality, Wireless World, May 1976, p.48.

Around 3 kHz our hearing is less sensitive to diffuse fields. Recording microphones, though, are usually flat in frequency response even under diffuse field conditions. When such recordings are played back over loudspeakers, there is more energy in the 3 kHz region than we would have perceived if present at the recording venue and a degree of unnaturalness is introduced.
This applies primarily to recordings of large orchestral pieces in concert halls where the microphones are much closer to the instruments than any listener. At most listening positions in the hall the sound field has strong diffuse components.
I use a dip of 4 dB (x1.gif, 2760NF) to equalize for this. The circuit consists of R, C and L in series, forming a frequency dependent ladder attenuator in conjunction with the 5.11k ohm source resistor. You may choose to make the notch filter selectable with a switch for different types of recordings.

I have found through my own head-related recordings of symphonic music that the dip adds greater realism, especially to large chorus and to soprano voice and allows for higher playback levels."
Old 1st July 2018, 06:57 PM   #42
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Useful link

Boundary effects
Old 1st July 2018, 10:52 PM   #43
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think it's quite plausible that the dip at 3Khz is a diffraction effect from the cabinet edges. I got something almost identical doing a sim for Wilbur-x with a tweeter placed at the top of a 20cm wide cabinet.

Your IPL is close to the driver placement I was using. S2tlk Ribbon

Moving the driver down and putting it off centre seemed to fix it in the sim. 10 cms is approx. a wavelength at 3kHz.
Old 1st July 2018, 11:31 PM   #44
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here's the sim restored to all its horrible glory.

Tweeter in middle of 20cm tower cabinet, 10 cm from top.

I really wondered what was going on with an ostensibly flattish tweeter! 3kHz, 6kHz, 9kHz.

I don't really understand why whole wavelengths cancel, but I am sure it is easily explained.
Attached Images
File Type: png 3kHz dip on 20cm cabinet..PNG (14.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 11th October 2018, 04:17 PM   #45
Nativebon is offline Nativebon
diyAudio Member

This thread I just came across, just read through and actually agree with @Stretchneck. My problems of bass boom are gone after buying the IPL S2 TLK speakers. So much deeper so much deeper with almost no bass boom. I don't know about the BBC deep at 3kHz but these also sound less shouty not sure if Has anything to do with that. I have tried a lot of mass produced speakers nothing has sounded as even hand to me as the IPL S2TLK speakers. My Opinion of course.

Achieving full range sound in typical British living rooms - IPL Speakers S2TLK CD3.0Hide this!Advertise here!