Coaxial drivers for ultimate speaker?

Love this thread... Happen to have a pair of what I consider the ultimate Hi-Fi coax... The P-Audio 18CX. I so want to do a seal box and ported configuration for this driver. Have designed and demonstrated a couple of OB versions. Quite interesting.

Getting ready for the Lone Star Audio Fest coming up in Dallas the first weekend in May.... but once I am back... will work on getting this wonderful driver doing the best it can in some sort of reasonably sized box, but remember, we are talking about a 98.5 DB/Watt 18" woofer section.

Done a lot of research and I have come to the same conclusion that The P-Audio 18CX would suit my needs, have been searching for a while but cannot find a pair.

I am UK based so this could possibly pose a limitation on what is available to me. I have looked at alternatives but nothing comes to mind except Tannoy units. not sure if there are other 15" units that could work in 200 litres or so

Last edited:
Coaxial compression drivers on large horns are getting good reviews. Consider a 24" wide SEOS-24 waveguide with the new BMS 4594HE_ND or the newer B&C DCX464 coaxial compression drivers to cover 400-19,000Hz with excellent pattern control. Complete the 4-way with one sealed 12" or 15" mid bass down to 70Hz, and two side-side 15" subwoofers down to 24Hz in one large... but easy to build sealed compatments cabinet.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi LineSources,

I always have been appreciating your advices and sketchs here about diy speakers (thanks for that :) )

About treble frequncies, is there any good reasons using compression drivers that are not so linear (lot of peaks & dips) instead low efficienty tweeters with horns to acheive good efficienty enough and to reduce movements for lesser distorsions ? Do people need more 100 db efficienty at home, whatever their amp - 3 w SET for illustration- ? when seing the efficinty of the pa drivers in mid and bass frequencies !

We see a lot of short horns/lenses for dome tweeters or little ribons but not bigger horns for them? Any reasons? Market not ready yet for that ? Does one take a horn because he want to have a compression driver in the treble or vis versa : wanting a big horn for its radiation patern so have to pick up a compression driver to suit the horn ?

Last edited:
So....trying to revive an old thread. I have some 5 cubic foot ported enclosures made to JBL spec. I would like to put a nice 15 coax in them. Any suggestions? I've looked at BMS, Eminence, but would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks everyone, all of you are always a great help.

Nate

this is THE ultimate:
Voxativ Loudspeakers: AC - XHB Hybrid Field Coil
Voxative are the ultimate in cost, but can you play complex classical music or Pop, loud using them? Not from what I have heard.
Naah man
Fullrange is not coaxial in anyway performance metric and polar response
Due to bigger SD of driver, the driver becomes highly directional and starts to beam and whizzer cone also cant save it.

The biggest advantage of coaxial is to avoid beam forming, give perfect symmertical horizontal and vertical dispersion while reducing IMD..

The only issue is, coaxial can distort treble if they are just played as fullrange...because if cone moves a lot, the waveguide for tweeter(the cone) will change response creating weird form of sound pressure changing distortion (frequency response not stable) and IMD products.

Also, tbh, i dont think time domain and phase domain is an issue with coaxial and they dont need all pass time domain correction as both voice coil is pretty near.
Saving some milli second will just give you like 1 or 2% improvement.

Also...

I think, the best way to do coaxial is
(Cardiod coaxial + cardiod woofer) + woofer.

Might actually give you a controlled directivity which might help everyone avoid room till 200Hz... Get you the most perfect linear polar response in vertical and horizontal domain

:)

Still reading through the thread and might update this text