Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Which 2.1 drivers for a 10kg boombox (24v)?
Which 2.1 drivers for a 10kg boombox (24v)?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2018, 08:34 AM   #11
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbe View Post
What do you think about the Dayton Audio sub fitting this project? It will have an own compartment with a reflex port.
I didn't sim it, but an 8" hi-fi subwoofer drivers seems to be about right to reach 50 Hz in 10-15 L. Higher efficiency isn't possible when it has to reach 50 Hz in that volume. Coated paper or poly are good choices for cones that do not get damaged easily. Uncoated paper might get damaged by water or beer. Ported is a logical choice for reasonably high efficiency and bandwidth up to > 150 Hz.

The crossover frequency can be altered when you do some soldering and replace some caps or resistors on the amplifier board. You have to know the (relevant part of the) circuit though, which requires you to trace the circuit around the opamp. Not too difficult to do if you know electronics, quite hard if you don't.
Old 16th March 2018, 11:02 AM   #12
erkki1 is offline erkki1  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTL View Post
The crossover frequency can be altered when you do some soldering and replace some caps or resistors on the amplifier board.
That depends of the amplifier model, if the hard way is needed. There are amplifiers that really have potentiometer for adjusting sub crossover frequency ( I have one ). Most of the TPA3116 2.1 amps have just fixed frequency though.
But I don't know any such amp which has high pass for main channels.
Old 16th March 2018, 11:55 AM   #13
MartyMG is offline MartyMG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here's a 2.1 with adjustable high pass. I've just bought one myself but haven't got around to playing with it yet! Not much use on a beach sadly as it's purely mains powered.
100-240VAC Bluetooth 4.2 HIFI TPA3116 2.1 Digital Power Amplifier 50WX2 100W | eBay

Last edited by MartyMG; 16th March 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 16th March 2018, 04:01 PM   #14
Justbe is offline Justbe  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTL View Post
I didn't sim it, but an 8" hi-fi subwoofer drivers seems to be about right to reach 50 Hz in 10-15 L. Higher efficiency isn't possible when it has to reach 50 Hz in that volume.
What exactly do you mean by "higher efficiency" being not possible to get in that volume? That 50 Hz is the lowest I should aim to in that enclosure size? If so, I think 50 Hz is definitely lowest I need to reach anyway. Do you think I should preferably port it a bit higher than 50 Hz (55? 60?), would I get noticeably more SPL? I can probably simulate that on WINISD.

Should I also make a highpass filter for the subwoofer, i.e. to the speaker wire or the same way as you mentioned earlier - by replacing some caps or resistors on the amp board? I don't really know electronics but I'm eager to learn, I do have a soldering iron and a multimeter..

TBTL: you mentioned in your first post that the 4" FaitalPros make a narrow beam. What kind of a fullrange driver would be more suitable? Or could I just try to make the sides of the front panel a bit curved for the sats to get a wider dispersion. I really like the idea that they are so light weight and very similar in sensitivity with the subwoofer(?). But I also like to have a control of the music, where it is directed to, so 360-systems are a no-no for me. I really appreciate the help here, thank you so much!

erkki1: I bought this particular amp: WINGONEER TPA3116 2x50W + 100W 2.1 Dual Channel Power: Amazon.de: Elektronik
It says it would have a bass volume and bass frequency potentiometer, but I'm always a bit sceptic towards things that sound too good to be true..
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th March 2018, 11:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Would you recommend the 4 ohm or 8 ohm version of the 4" FaitalPROs with the earlier mentioned TPA3116? What about the woofer, as it can also be driven with 4 ohm (parallel) instead of 8 ohm..
Old 22nd March 2018, 02:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Where would you suggest to make the high pass filter for the 2x FaitalPRO 4FE32 (4ohm) when driven with the 8” Dayton audio sub, and could someone guide me to a link or say how do I know where to replace what condensator with which value on the amplifier? Should I also make a HPF for the sub at 45 hz or something (the box will be ~20l reflex tuned to 45hz-55hz)? Appreciate your reply!

Driver specs:
Dayton Audio Sub: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ions-47084.pdf
FaitalPRO 4FE32: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf

Which 2.1 drivers for a 10kg boombox (24v)?Hide this!Advertise here!