Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Anyone built speakers using real wood?
Anyone built speakers using real wood?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2018, 03:36 AM   #31
bbp is offline bbp  China
diyAudio Member

15WU/8741 plus D3004/664000, 2-way small vented box design, made with real walnut wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0525_resize.jpg (426.9 KB, 103 views)
Old 14th March 2018, 06:18 AM   #32
hal55 is offline hal55
diyAudio Member

Look lovely, your happy with the sound?
Old 14th March 2018, 07:22 AM   #33
bbp is offline bbp  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
Look lovely, your happy with the sound?
Yes, by spending weeks of time for adjust the sound. I finally make it smooth and lively. Especially for the bass, you can't believe the sound is produced by a 5.5" mid-bass unit. distortion as low as 1% @ 1m, 100dBSPL, fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: png 3D CSD 3.png (133.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: png 1M merged.png (50.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: png 100dBSPL.png (57.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by bbp; 14th March 2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 14th March 2018, 11:50 AM   #34
Bon is offline Bon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
Rubber wood is a composite hardwood made from felled rubber trees and, I think, kiln dried. If anyone has built a speaker from real hardwood how did it work out, and would you do it again?
I bought some large cutting boards of end-grain laminated blocks of rubber wood to construct a turntable plinth. Thankfully I left them up on a shelf in my workshop for 6 months and when I took them down to work on them I found that blocks had unglued in many places and was unusable. From my experience, rubber wood is not dimensionally stable and will split apart as it dries out.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:09 PM   #35
Johnny2Bad is offline Johnny2Bad  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
I bought some large cutting boards of end-grain laminated blocks of rubber wood to construct a turntable plinth. Thankfully I left them up on a shelf in my workshop for 6 months and when I took them down to work on them I found that blocks had unglued in many places and was unusable. From my experience, rubber wood is not dimensionally stable and will split apart as it dries out.
That may well be true, but have you considered the specific product you purchased and it's suitability for the purpose?

Cutting boards are expected to be treated with food grade oils / waxes / sealants. Had they been so treated, perhaps they would not have delaminated, as they would not have been exposed to environmental conditions that dried /shrunk or absorbed moisture / grown the individual pieces. You may have purchased non-commercial grade butcher blocks and only bought what might be called commercial grade appearing butcher blocks (ie cosmetically appearing butcher block). Perhaps the construction of the butcher blocks you purchased was made from green wood innapropriate for lamination and without attention to whether the pieces were properly oriented or whether they were heartwood versus sapwood. And maybe a few more possible caveats others might be able to bring up.

My only point is I don't think your experience properly sums up the possible considerations for suitability. It may well be you are right but for the wrong reasons, or maybe your conclusions were hasty and incorrect. I think it would take more than your experiment to have me dismiss a species for consideration.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."
Old 14th March 2018, 12:20 PM   #36
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

If you are using blockboard avoid the beech stuff from Romania.It seems to have something nasty in it.My brother and I both both felt really unwell after working with it despite having pretty good dust extractors on my woodworking machinery and sanders.Probably U.F. glue but who knows what else ?

Anyone built speakers using real wood?Hide this!Advertise here!