Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Loudspeaker volume
Loudspeaker volume
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2018, 06:54 PM   #1
nomis514 is offline nomis514  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Loudspeaker volume

Hi all!

I have a question concerning needed volume for a driver. There is something I don't get, I read on the internet that floorstanding have a deeper bass response as it's bigger than bookshelves. At the same time there are many box volume calculator like this one: Speaker Box Enclosure Designer / Calculator using Vas, Fs, etc. and compute the optimal volume. I even see floorstanding design using internal chambers to respect that volume. So what's the difference of that volume being in a bookshelve vs a floorstanding?

Also tell me, what we want to achieve is a balanced speaker with a uniform freq. response... right? If there would be more bass response that mean low freq would be louder in db..in a SPL graph???

Thanks!!!
Old 10th March 2018, 07:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anybody? I am sure you guys have the answer to it...
Old 10th March 2018, 07:30 PM   #3
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Haha, I read it yesterday but couldn't work out what the question was.........
Old 10th March 2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Loudspeaker volume
If it is to be a bookshelf size and you have book shelf to place it it on, you most often do. If you have to place them on the floor, you may use chambers to ensure the correct volume and raise the drivers so they are closer to ear level.
As far as extra bass, the room along with the speaker placement plays a large roll in how the direct and reflected waves arrive at your ear. Together they will add to the perceived bass, but where they arrive at your ear out of phase, there is a cancelling of the perceived bass.
Every room is different and you have to find the right location in your own environment. Often the so called right location is more how you personally like the sound than achieving accurate reproduction.
Old 11th March 2018, 01:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey! Thanks for the reply.

So Cal, you said that we use chambers inside floorstanding to ensure the right volume. So here are my questions:

Should we aim to have a balanced SPL curve in speaker construction?

If we use the same driver and same volume why many persons are saying that floorstanding have more bass response?

I see many floorstanding with 2 woofers ex. the kits bellow. What's the purpose?
Scan-Speak Ultimate Revelation, 2way Kit Pair w/ 2x15W/8530K01 & 9700
Old 11th March 2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Due to Hoffman's Iron law (you can have low bass, small cabinet or high efficiency, pick two) larger volume speakers can go lower or be louder. Floorstanders are usually larger and thus can potentially go louder or lower than a bookshelf. Sometimes a designer makes a bookshelf with an integral stand, and this will not garner the merits of a larger cabinet volume. It does mean that the designer can more finely control the height the speakers are finally located at - they will make an assumption about how high your ears are when seated and adjust box height to point the design axis at that.

Speakers with multiple drivers often do it to be able to go louder, and also for pattern control. The MTM has a symmetrical directivity pattern perpendicular to the baffle, whereas a speaker with one woofer might have a nonsymmetric pattern at a different angle to the baffle.

Most people believe a balanced frequency response is a good goal. Floyd toole at the NRC in canada developed a series of tests that show that listeners prefer flat frequency response with smoothly narrowing directivity.

Here is a speaker with a textbook "good" response.
SoundStage! Measurements - Energy Connoisseur C-3 Loudspeakers (6/2002)

Here is one with a colored response.
SoundStage! Measurements - Talon Audio Khorus Loudspeakers (11/2000)

Here is one that is fine above 1kHz, but has problems in the bass and lower midrange
SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: Vivid Audio B1 Loudspeakers

Many more here:
SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com

Last edited by Ron E; 11th March 2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11th March 2018, 04:22 PM   #7
twinter is offline twinter  United States
diyAudio Member

Good basic to med level loudspeaker design books:

Speaker Building 201, Ray Alden
Introduction to Loudspeaker Design, John L. Murphy

Link for reference reading material list:
The Speaker Building Bible - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum
Old 12th March 2018, 10:15 AM   #8
Mrcloc is offline Mrcloc  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis514 View Post
Should we aim to have a balanced SPL curve in speaker construction?
It's a good design goal, but design doesn't end there. It is possible that you want a raised response from high-mids to highs on-axis, so that you have a balanced response slightly off-axis, for example.
Old 12th March 2018, 01:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I did not know about the Hoffman's Iron law. Makes a lot of sense.

I am now thinking what can be done for my current bookshelve. Obviously, I won't be able to touch the enclosure volume. I am wondering if I can replace the woofer by one producing lower bass. I guess I'll have to compromise on the sensitivity. I curently have a VifaPL11WH09. The guy is suggesting this one.

What do you guys think?

Scan-Speak Discovery 12W/8524G00 ; 12W/8524G00 - Solen Electronique Inc.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:59 PM   #10
Presidentovich is offline Presidentovich  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis514 View Post
I even see floorstanding design using internal chambers to respect that volume.
Sorry for my question but what loudspeakers are this???
I think it is a waste of resource, why want we to build large loudspeaker with poor WAF and use maybe only half the speaker volume???

Loudspeaker volumeHide this!Advertise here!