Great Plains Audio 604?

The 604's are pricey. If they are really the holy grail the price is not an issue and I'd happily pick one up; but if they are not and one has to listen from some distance - well - for the same money perhaps I can go buy separate more optimized horns and bass drivers like Troels' The Loudspeaker.

Of course, if you have to buy a new house, like Cal, well that's brings 'pricey' to a new level !

Again, it was designed for [near field] studio monitor/radio broadcasting control rooms, which in the USA was 4 ft till the '80s, so ideal for 'in your face'/small room apps. The long distance was in reference to the Stanley Screamer's speakers that used dual 604s with no HF horn tapering.

Be forewarned though, used for such apps its horn can 'pick' a recording to pieces [so to speak], making some of my really old recordings unbearable to me due to my ~ lifelong/strong tinnitus, so another reason I don't have them.

GM

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 11.57.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 11.57.29 AM.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 267
Hmm, 'in for a penny, in for a pound' ;) I've done mains in the middle with four woofers circling it with different size drivers to create a large 'FR' driver, even did some on 'dish' baffles, though of course if the XO is low/steep enough and/or focal point is far enough away, then MWW can work just as well.

GM

Then grossly under priced! For instance, in 1954 a 604C w/network was $164 = $1568.95 today, so factor in how technically superior overall the GPA is, it's still a bargain, just not the incredible deal it once was, though 'damned' at the time as too expensive.

Other products I checked over time were right on track with inflation, so now way overpriced in comparison.

GM

Does the math really apply to nowadays though? A 1954 Altec coaxial vs the 2019 offerings of other company's with different techniques of manufacture etc. Robotics, cheaper wages now in other countries since 1954 compared to the US made offerings of then and now. So it's basically $4000 USD for two GPA 604s, are they really going to be that much better in that price range compared to some other regarded 15" coaxial drivers that are out there for well under that price point? Dunno if I explained what I mean right but that's a lot of money for 2 drivers minus the cabs and all that expense as well etc.

sometimes I'm dreaming about 604 but then, being on wrong side of Big Splash for Altecs, I'm content with Tannoy 15''

:clown:

though , it'll be nice enjoying them both

Yeah, Tannoy Silver 15” and your RCA LC-1 are a few notches up, but the ultimate has to be Jensen G610, though they are much more expensive. :D

Joined 2005
Paid Member
i sold a pair of 604E in angled Altec Hillcraft furniture cabinets that I’ve never seen that style since for about $250 USD in the late 70’s - oh the shame of it all...........

Today I run 2 pair of JBL 4350 studio monitor plywood clones at work. Not the quite same, but it works.........

Last edited:
Does the math really apply to nowadays though? A 1954 Altec coaxial vs the 2019 offerings of other company's with different techniques of manufacture etc. Robotics, cheaper wages now in other countries since 1954 compared to the US made offerings of then and now. So it's basically $4000 USD for two GPA 604s, are they really going to be that much better in that price range compared to some other regarded 15" coaxial drivers that are out there for well under that price point? Dunno if I explained what I mean right but that's a lot of money for 2 drivers minus the cabs and all that expense as well etc.

But they are among the best. I often listened to a set of 620 cabinets with GPA 604H’s in it (owned by close friends) and did only hear one better in my life. And that was the big Tannoys coaxals in the westminster gr’s. And those are way more expensive as they are only sold in the cabinets, wich cost 60k or so... you got way cheaper coaxals that sound very good, but not on that level.

^
I get it but at USD 4000 a pair by the time all is said and done plus you still need cabs etc. Hmm?

I understand that GPA has gone the route of Boutique offerings and that's okay.. Just I have to wonder under different management if the opposite course could have worked?..Meaning a pair of GPA 604's for say $800 a pair including xover to ignite those on the fence contemplating spending that kind of money on 2 drivers.. Then offer at the boutique prices the Alnico drivers to the deep pockets crowd and the asian etc market..

Heck my meaning is if reading many of your favorable reviews on a reasonable priced set of introductory entry level 604's from GPA, then I think many would pull the trigger.. Plus the company is basically a one man show so hence the way out there price of entry. $4000 USD can buy a lot of oomph with regards to what you hear at the end of them speaker cables etc.

Last edited: