Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

My OB Project
My OB Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2018, 01:08 PM   #11
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I'd just hand twist what's there . Thanks for the link
Old 11th April 2018, 09:58 AM   #12
hazard500 is offline hazard500  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
Thanks for sharing your OB Project, I bet they sound fantastic! I pretty much followed your same path – at an audio show last fall I heard the Pure Audio Project system and was blown away with the clarity and purity, and its simplicity.

My research lead me to the OBL-15 too and choosing the FP 15PR400 for the bottom end, though I’m only using one per side (couldn’t imagine needing a second-must be impressive!). I chose the MarkAudio 12P for my mids (full range) and so far don’t hear a need for a tweeter, time will tell once “broken in” and design finalized.

“At my age”…(I got frustrated with the free on-line design programs) I didn’t do a lot of design simulation or pouring over spec’s and numbers, but more of a “seat of the pants” design approach. Inexpensive plywood and experimenting with what “sounds good” is my design tool.

My system will be bi-amped so one “high-tech” gadget I sprung for was the MiniDSP as an active crossover. An awesome tool and very easy to setup and use, allows me to play with different crossover points and EQ.

Did you do any dampening or treatment to the back side of your baffle? I’ve heard some builders do that but haven’t tried any myself.

Thanks again for sharing and enjoy your speakers… Dave
Hi Dave, have you posted any pictures of your system on the forum? Mark Audio drivers were on my short list before I found the Boyd drivers, I bet they sound fine.

With regards to damping of panels - I have given a little thought to this but I have a few other projects I need to attend to first. On thing I might try is building a sand box in the bottom of the cabinet. The base of the cab is 600mm by 600mm, and loses about 75mm on the front and similar on sides due to wings. I could pour about 1 or 2 inches of sand in there, and would need to find a way to keep it from blowing around but that should help with vibration (not that I can feel a lot of vibration in the front baffle). In an ideal world with unlimited time and funds and better woodworking skills I would build another cabinet with sand filled baffles but that is probably not gonna happen.

Regards
Old 28th May 2018, 04:42 AM   #13
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post
On thing I might try is building a sand box in the bottom of the cabinet. [...] I could pour about 1 or 2 inches of sand in there, and would need to find a way to keep it from blowing around
Probably easier to keep the sand in containers (coffee sacks / pillow cases / stuffed owls / whatever) rather than have it loose. Especially if you'll ever cat sit for a friend.

A 20kg sack of rice will work just as well as a 20kg layer of sand, and will be a lot more handy during the next zombie outbreak.

My OB ProjectHide this!Advertise here!