Little yellow cab ? (monacor sph-200ke+ dt-254)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pretty well designed, don`t make the build price fool you - this will be a very good loudspeaker. The kevlar Monacor drivers have fantastic low end extension in small cabs. I didn`t know the DT-254 fits the WG300. You can do even better with the DT300 but it requires a different crossover and has a dip at 15Khz (not a big issue).

@ Mario: yes, the kevlar Monacor look very good on paper. It's good to know they also work in practice. I'm surprised they aren't more commonly discussed.

Actually, I found that webpage by searching what was available for the sph-200ke. Notax had suggested a combo sph-200ke+ dt-28n in this thread. But this is fully detailed and the size looks right for me.

The designer also has a big floorstander with the same tweeter but the sph-250ke. Initially, it used the xt25 as tweeter but found the dt254 less strained.

There are some nice designs on that website. The small 2.5 way called the quintessenz could be a future project.

Any opinion on this design ?
Hi,

It is a very well done design and it will perform also very good, no doubt about that.

I have one consideration concerning the low frequency response and the overall sensitivity.

This Monacor woofer has a basic sensitivity of 87.5dB @ 1m, 2.83Vrms on infinite baffle (calculated with TSP).
The closed box design has about a F3 = 55Hz ( in 17L ).

To realize a flat SPL in full space (anechoic room response) with a F3 = 55Hz, the overall SPL should be designed to about 81.5dB.
Now the overall sensitivity seems to be 85dB. So in full space the SPL is 6.5dB down at 55Hz.
So this design seems to have a slow roll off to low frequencies. Maybe it will perform well in a room, no discussion about that.

Personally, I should prefer to make the design flat in full space with a F3 = 55Hz and a overall sensitivity of 81.5dB. But again, this is a choice I should make for it.

Regards, Paul

The SPH-250KE has all the ingredients to deliver strong bass fundament from a small box, mids comparable to the midrange reproduction of a speaker intended for public transport and will start to become directional so low that without a large waveguide to match directivity, you`d approximate the Klingon mothership Bird of Prey, basically the one that can destroy Earth with two shots, when you measure the final speaker`s off-axis response. Pairing it with a tweeter like the XT25 is even more...well you get it.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have one consideration concerning the low frequency response and the overall sensitivity.

This Monacor woofer has a basic sensitivity of 87.5dB @ 1m, 2.83Vrms on infinite baffle (calculated with TSP).
The closed box design has about a F3 = 55Hz ( in 17L ).

Regards, Paul

Hello Paul,
My German is not the best but it's a GHP (Geschlossen mit Hochpass) Bass driver is high passed with 470-680µF making it I guess-3db slightly under 40Hz.

I use GHP with Visaton AL170, it moves -3db from 65Hz to 50Hz and flattens the bump (due to smaller box) around 100Hz also. I just followed Hobby Hifi's Visamon 170 box volume...

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.