Bookshelf Driver Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, All.

So currently I have 2 Rockit 5's and a Rockit 10s sub in my office. The 10s sub is WAY overkill and since I don't play music that loud, I'm looking to replace this system with something that offers more fidelity but does not need to go as loud.

I already have one so I was thinking...
two of these: Dayton Audio AMTPRO-4 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter 4 Ohm

Crossed over at 800hz and above.

Also I'm using this Amp: Amazon.com: Nobsound MS-10D MKII Hybird Tube Amplifier with Bluetooth/USB/Headphone for Hi-Fi (Black): Home Audio & Theater

I'm looking for a 4 or 5" 4ohm driver to pair with these. What would you guys recommend? I really like these: Dynavox LW5004HR-N 5-1/4" Honeycomb Cone Woofer but can I pair a 6ohm driver with a 4" tweeter?

Also would need a good recommendation on a crossover.

Thanks!
Joey

What do you mean by "more fidelity"? Often with sub + sat systems, fidelity is bad cos the sub is too loud or crossed too high. Maybe you just need to get a measurement mic and tweak your current setup.

-----

I have those Dayton AMT drivers. They are good within their limitations:

- narrow vertical dispersion. Fine for desk use, not good for someone moving aroung (sitting and standing).
- very non flat response.
- not much response above 10kHz. Not a big deal in my opinion, but some people want a system with HF that goes beyond their ability to detect it.

Measurements (not mine) shown here.
AMT tweeters - explored by Critofur - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum
From memory, mine showed a bigger hump at 10kHz. Possibly they are inconsistent products, or maybe we just had a different measurement setup.

A good passive crossover will be hard work with these. I think you need to measure them (in the cabinet you'll use), and I'd suggest either:

- use a basic passive crossover & apply eq with your computer to flatten the response (assuming you will only use a PC as a music source)
OR
- use an electronic crossover and 2 amps.

miniDSP in a BOX : miniDSP 2x4

What do you mean by "more fidelity"? Often with sub + sat systems, fidelity is bad cos the sub is too loud or crossed too high. Maybe you just need to get a measurement mic and tweak your current setup.

-----

I have those Dayton AMT drivers. They are good within their limitations:

- narrow vertical dispersion. Fine for desk use, not good for someone moving aroung (sitting and standing).
- very non flat response.
- not much response above 10kHz. Not a big deal in my opinion, but some people want a system with HF that goes beyond their ability to detect it.

Measurements (not mine) shown here.
AMT tweeters - explored by Critofur - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum
From memory, mine showed a bigger hump at 10kHz. Possibly they are inconsistent products, or maybe we just had a different measurement setup.

A good passive crossover will be hard work with these. I think you need to measure them (in the cabinet you'll use), and I'd suggest either:

- use a basic passive crossover & apply eq with your computer to flatten the response (assuming you will only use a PC as a music source)
OR
- use an electronic crossover and 2 amps.

miniDSP in a BOX : miniDSP 2x4

Thanks for the tips. I'll return the AMT driver, I think we can find something better for the setup. I want something that can handle more of a range, but maybe you're right I can just electronically EQ my speakers with a measurement mic and call it a day.

Maybe I'm better off with something like...
2x of these for the tweeters https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/fountek-neo-x-20-specifications.PDF

And 2x of these https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/297-435-hi-vi-f5-specifications-44671.pdf

But I probably don't have enough wattage from the Amp correct?

I'll return the AMT driver

If you did keep the AMT, it might work well with drivers you already own (from the conical thread).

That 3" was smooth only to ~2kHz, so it wants a tweeter that crosses low. The AMT would be good for that.

maybe you're right I can just electronically EQ my speakers with a measurement mic and call it a day.

A mic will certainly help. The same link I gave for the DSP crossover also has a good mic, easy to set up and hard to kill (I've dropped mine, no harm done). You could probably onsell it when you're done.

I'd suggest measuring your current gear + loose drivers before churning $$$ components and starting on >1 projects simultaneously :)

Also: if a ribbon + midbass is what you want, there are several kits in that format - you don't have to roll your own.

If you did keep the AMT, it might work well with drivers you already own (from the conical thread).

That 3" was smooth only to ~2kHz, so it wants a tweeter that crosses low. The AMT would be good for that.

A mic will certainly help. The same link I gave for the DSP crossover also has a good mic, easy to set up and hard to kill (I've dropped mine, no harm done). You could probably onsell it when you're done.

I'd suggest measuring your current gear + loose drivers before churning $$$ components and starting on >1 projects simultaneously :)

Also: if a ribbon + midbass is what you want, there are several kits in that format - you don't have to roll your own.

True ok good point. By the way I am going to use those Focal components in my new car when it comes. So i've decided to go in a different direction with those.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Cheers,
Joey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.