New "Kinoshita" type build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. So decided to share my build, as it was my first speaker build, and I'm quite proud of it.
So, after much research, and checking "Kenrick Sound" videos, I decided that I wanted to build a "Big ***" speaker, that would compete very high up the ranks. I decided something along the size of a Kinoshita RM7, as this would just fit.

Did a lot of further research, and went through the build by Nicholas C, on a French forum, drew up my plans, and I was ready.

Now for the drivers. I ended up buying the Beyma SM115 15", as It was not in the budget to get the TAD. Landed a deal on a pair of JBL 2425 compression drivers with Bi-radial horns and was ready to start.

Purchased large amounts of Ply, and laminated to the thickness that I required. Front baffle ended up 60mm thick, and all other walls at 40mm

After the baffles were done, came some more challenging work. The exact measurement of the hols cutouts for both speaker drivers, and ports. This took a long time with a router, and circle jig I made, but came out alright.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,868
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,820
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,799
So, as I found more time, started putting the rest of the cabinets together. Please note, that I am not a master craftsman when it comes to woodwork, and rely on logic to get me through. I know the basics. So, used biscuit joins all round. They weigh a ton.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,723
Don't worry about the look at this stage, as they were going to get veneered in Walnut, with edge beading. The ports also to be lathed out of solid walnut, and the base stand in solid walnut.

The port sizes are at this stage, 110mm in diameter and 80mm deep. this was my starting point and would progress from there.

Right, now for the veneer. This was tricky, as this was my first ever speaker build, but when done, came out quite nicely

Attachments

• IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 343
I like the woodwork on these.
Did you have any help moving them ? Mine are definitely less thick-walled but I once damaged a muscle while moving them.

It is never a bad idea to use large Horns that can be crossed low with large MTMs.
Even mine are on the rather small side for this configuration:

Two way with PA drivers

On the picture you can also see a 2344 type horn - it is mounted to the "speaker stand". ;)

Regards

Charles

Hi guys. Thanks for all the comments. They weigh in at around 200 kg each, so yes, very heavy. I am fortunate enough to employ 14 staff, so had help moving them. I agree that it is a far cry from an original kinoshita. I have been trying to work out how to manufacture a large horn like , but had the jbl so used them in the interim. I have worked out a system now on how I think I can do it, and will try over the next 3 weeks and see how it goes. I picked up a pair of jbl2445 and will use them on it when done.
So. Onto the crossover, I am using a minidsp 4x10. Used it on everything initially, but initial impressions left me crying. I have never done crossover before, so has been a huge learning curve for me. Eventually used the minidsp for the bass drivers only, and Marchand in-line crossovers for mid and top
I am crossing over at 900, due to the specs of the compression driver. Have it fairly well integrated at the moment, but know it can be better

Nice project.

What exactly do you mean "initial impressions left me crying" (with the DSP)?

I agree that it is a far cry from an original kinoshita. I have been trying to work out how to manufacture a large horn like , but had the jbl so used them in the interim.

Will you build a router guide, something like this?

Sunshipaudio: 2" horns > Part 3 > Routing the main profile

These ply horns look great.

...but I think if I was building (approximately) this configuration of speaker myself, I'd use a horn that didn't have those sharp edges / 'lips'.

Two way with PA drivers

In the meantime I was working on my large MTMs. [...] here they are, standing in my workshop.

What model is that horn? A Seos? It looks good.

I do not have any unfortunately (mine do not follow measurements of a Kinoshita model), but when I stumble accross them I will link them here.

One has to know that Mr, Kinoshita's Company is called Rey Audio in order to get some more original info. Here you can at least find the outer dimensions:

RM Monitor

In the meantime some more nice pictures from France. This time from a commercial builder who is offering the wooden horns alone as well (price on request):

Realisation – A.L.G. Audio-Design

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.