Lets collect: Tips on Sound-Design (How to make speaker sound like...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi guys,

This isnt about something specific but specifically generic on sound design.
Let me give you an example by throwing in my current head-scratchy-topics into the room:

- stage distance (how to influence the phantom source projection position and perception of "depth")

- dynamics (how to make a speaker sound more dramatic than the compressed music allows)

- color (perception of more emotional tonal variations while not being coloured)

Lets get onto the first maybe. Stage depth. I belong to the ones that own a small room but are used to xperience live music from the last row, meaning with big distance. So the typical low on budget person :) Those 2 scenarios stand in a conflict. And i desire more distance to the stage at home.

I found it so far useful to have wide dispersion. Early strong reflections contribute to perception of distance, as some phsychoacoustic articles confirm.
But that only pushes it back. The difference in depth (some centimeter compared to meters) between sounds can be also stretched when the speaker stands closer to the walls. With all that stage i still felt sometimes a limitation of space to my walls: when having echo in the recording which belongs to bigger rooms this sounds unnatural, like through a door. Having a more narrow vertical dispersion and keeping wide horizontal was the best to "unleash it".

Pls feel invited to add some ideas!
Did you experience a response deformation that contributes to the distance ?

cheers
Josh

PS: also feel free to start about the other 2 untouched topics or add your own

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.