Problem with refoaming EV speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had my first set back in refoaming speakers. I have done a set of BA A60's with no problems. Worked on a set of EV Interface 1 8 inch woofers today and one went great, but the other had a buzzing sound. So I tried to move the already glued on surround to center things better, but of course, I tore the new surround.

Now for the questions.
Is it possible for a speaker to develop a buzzing?
Can it be repairable?
Is there a replacement speaker that would work?
What are my possible courses of action beyond trashing them?

Thanks for any help and advice!

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
A driver does not 'develop' buzzing sounds from itself. Something has happened, now it's time to find out what it is. The coil should be able to move freely if you move it back and forth. If there's scratching on the pole core or pole plate, the coil is deformed or out of center. The former usually can't be fixed, you'd have to recone it or be very skilled and experienced with reconing.

A buzzing sound can also come from parts of the coil comming off of the VC former, same there. Buzzing can also come from dirt and particles in the air gap or some crap behind the dustcap. That can be fixed.

There are reasons for doing the refoaming the old school way, which involves removing the dust cap and centering the voice coil with slim shims: crud and corruption in the gap, which might - might - be extractible with a vacuum. Some Polk sub woofers taught me this lesson. Mass produced drivers have a bunch of potential problems, like tinsel leads that slap, cold solder joints like where the tinsel leads meet the voice coil wire, shifted magnet structures due to the box being dropped...that one is a deal breaker...sometimes we have to toss drivers into the recycle bin and I HATE when that happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.