Building my first speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day
I'm going to build my first speakers
I have read many information about drivers and stopped on
HF-mid driver radian 950
LW- radian 2216???
Labyrinth eclosure for LF( I have a friend who can calculate it)
I want to begin with two-way system because i'm new and 3 ways may be too difficult for me
I would be very grateful if you answer on my questions and help me with this
I know that radian 950 is great driver, but I know nothing about radian 2216(they were recommended by radian's support)
What low frequency driver would you recommend as best match for radian 950?
I can buy radian 2216 woofer but there are no distributors of radian in my country, so shipping and taxes will cost me extra 300-400usd
Budget for woofers is up to 800usd, maybe 1000 if they are significantly better

What horns would you recommend for 950?
Do they need super tweeter?

Sorry for my English)
Thanks in advance
p.s. following speakers are available in my country:
B&C, faital pro, beyma, eminence
There is sale on Beyma 15P80Nd(350usd)
Have someone tried them?

Last edited:
Hi. The beyma 15p80nd is very different to the radian 2216. Still, what are you planning? It looks like PA. Professional audio is very different to home audio. Perhaps ask in the PA sub-forum? I'm sure there would be more experience about these kinds of speakers there.

Hi. The beyma 15p80nd is very different to the radian 2216. Still, what are you planning? It looks like PA. Professional audio is very different to home audio. Perhaps ask in the PA sub-forum? I'm sure there would be more experience about these kinds of speakers there.
Hi
At first I wanted to build classic jbl system(for home use with tube amp)
Hf jbl 2446+ 2360 horns
Lf jbl 2220 in original 4560 cabinets

Then I have read that radian is better than 2446 and 2220 with 4560 doesn't play lower than 60hz so I decided to try project on new parts
But I've understood that pro audio woofers are not suitable for home use

There are few high end systems with radian 950 in my country
Now I can't decide to go with radian 950(1200usd in my country) or jbl 2446(I can buy in ideal condition for 400usd + horn 100usd)

I want to use single amplifier and don't want to add second pro amplifier for woofer
At first I thought that it will work fine but ukrainian dealer of beyma, faital and b&c told me that it will not work properly and 50-100watt average amp simply will not be enough

Pro speakers will have much higher efficiency than your normal hifi speakers.
~ 90-100dB vs. ~ 80-90dB.
So you will need much less amp power for the same loudness.
Of course with a 50-100w amp you won`t push them to their limits, but indoor this isn`t exactly "healthy".

Right now I use a 5w amp I ripped out of a old computer speaker sub enclosure with a 6th order kickbin as sub just for the fun. When I turn it all the way up until it clips and then a bit down I can feel the bass in my stomach and it will shake the house.
5w can be a lot with pro speakers and a efficient enclosure.

On that same 5W amp I used a very efficient Fane 12-250TC pro fullrange. Those 5W are enough to cause hearing damage after a short amount of time. Although it might be reversible if you back off the volume "in time".

On high efficiency speakers (around 100db) 50-100w is enough to cause permanent hearing damage in a short amount of time.

With pro speakers indoor I would rather worry about my hearing and not about amp power.

Honestly, this is very interesting for home. I've given the idea a thought myself, but it's not easy. If you really want bass out of these big drivers, they're best suited for bandpass enclosures. You can use them in an electronically managed (DSP perhaps) system because of the power they can handle, but it's not really what you're looking for.

Both the Beyma and the Radian will have their difficulties. These pro drivers are actually similar to full range drivers, just with heavier cones, and therefore lower resonance and no high frequency response. They will generally have a strong response in the mid range where voices are, and this is for good reason.

Honestly, I would recommend (for this sort of home use) an 8" like the Beyma 8P300Fe or 10" like the Beyma 10G40. Both will be perfectly fine on a 1 W amplifier (and I'd lean more to the 8"). :)

For that 8", a 10L box should be perfect (you can port it at 53Hz or keep it sealed), and for the 10", make it a 20L with a 45Hz port.

Still, remember that pro audio is generally targeted at volume, not quality, and to get the sensitivity and power handling requires compromises in other areas. I also think in this game it's a matter of liking the sound of a particular driver and using it, not deciding according to specs or price.

Oh, yes, and I wouldn't go for such a big tweeter. A 1" (even a 0.8") should be perfect.

Beyma 10G40
I have heard many good reviews about this speaker
So I should try beyma 10g40 and something like radian 745?
Or beyma in labyrinth plus jbl 2446?
Or jbl 2446 and altec 515g?

For home? I'd (personally) stay with the 10" over the 15". It's not my application, not my choice. At the end of the day, you have to make a decision and start your build. My main reason would be enclosure size. You're looking at 150L for the 15" and only 25L for the 10".

How about reading through this?

For home? I'd (personally) stay with the 10" over the 15". It's not my application, not my choice. At the end of the day, you have to make a decision and start your build. My main reason would be enclosure size. You're looking at 150L for the 15" and only 25L for the 10".

How about reading through this?
Thank you
I had read this topic
What do you think about this
Radian 465+ Radian 950/745 crossed at 8khz
Beyma 10g40 in labyrinth closure crossed at
800hz
Do I need high order filters?

Ok, thank you
What do you think, will beyma 10g40 be able to play 50hz -3db?

Probably not, but in a 25L with a port frequency of 40 Hz, they'll probably respond to about 40 Hz -10 dB.

I've done a dirty simulation on something like that driver - PAW 25 from Visaton, but I modified the parameters a little - they're quite similar in specs. In frequency response they're also not far apart - just a bit of a peak at about 2.2 kHz on the 10G40, but that can be dropped using the notch (4.7 uF and 1 ohm in the XO image).

As you can see, it's possible to flatten the response a bit where it would normally rise after 200 Hz. This uses a strong baffle step compensation (1.8 mH and 10 ohm). The bass response below 100 Hz is a slow roll-off until it just about dies at around 43 Hz. The baffle is 28 cm wide and 43 cm high.

Please note, this is a crude example. Proper electronics would need to be designed, this just shows what can be done with that driver, in terms of frequency response.

Attachments

• XO baffle step.png
    XO baffle step.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 150
  • FR.png
    FR.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 148
  • FR influences.png
    FR influences.png
    11 KB · Views: 147
Probably not, but in a 25L with a port frequency of 40 Hz, they'll probably respond to about 40 Hz -10 dB.

I've done a dirty simulation on something like that driver - PAW 25 from Visaton, but I modified the parameters a little - they're quite similar in specs. In frequency response they're also not far apart - just a bit of a peak at about 2.2 kHz on the 10G40, but that can be dropped using the notch (4.7 uF and 1 ohm in the XO image).

As you can see, it's possible to flatten the response a bit where it would normally rise after 200 Hz. This uses a strong baffle step compensation (1.8 mH and 10 ohm). The bass response below 100 Hz is a slow roll-off until it just about dies at around 43 Hz. The baffle is 28 cm wide and 43 cm high.

Please note, this is a crude example. Proper electronics would need to be designed, this just shows what can be done with that driver, in terms of frequency response.

I don't understand
I have pmc twenty 22 and they play 40hz -6
I had revel performa m22 and they played 38hz -3
Both are stand-mounters with 7 inch driver
How 10 inch 400watts woofer in labyrinth closure isn't able to play deeper then they do

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.