Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Building my first speaker
Building my first speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2018, 11:52 AM   #11
Mrcloc is offline Mrcloc  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Honestly, this is very interesting for home. I've given the idea a thought myself, but it's not easy. If you really want bass out of these big drivers, they're best suited for bandpass enclosures. You can use them in an electronically managed (DSP perhaps) system because of the power they can handle, but it's not really what you're looking for.

Both the Beyma and the Radian will have their difficulties. These pro drivers are actually similar to full range drivers, just with heavier cones, and therefore lower resonance and no high frequency response. They will generally have a strong response in the mid range where voices are, and this is for good reason.

Honestly, I would recommend (for this sort of home use) an 8" like the Beyma 8P300Fe or 10" like the Beyma 10G40. Both will be perfectly fine on a 1 W amplifier (and I'd lean more to the 8").

For that 8", a 10L box should be perfect (you can port it at 53Hz or keep it sealed), and for the 10", make it a 20L with a 45Hz port.

Still, remember that pro audio is generally targeted at volume, not quality, and to get the sensitivity and power handling requires compromises in other areas. I also think in this game it's a matter of liking the sound of a particular driver and using it, not deciding according to specs or price.

Oh, yes, and I wouldn't go for such a big tweeter. A 1" (even a 0.8") should be perfect.
Old 12th February 2018, 11:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The Radian 745NeoPB-8 looks like a thing of beauty.
Old 12th February 2018, 12:01 PM   #13
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1211 View Post
doesn't play lower than 60hz
This isn't bad. More efficiency for your woofer. Need subs here for your room anyway.
Old 12th February 2018, 12:08 PM   #14
Andrew1211 is offline Andrew1211  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Beyma 10G40
I have heard many good reviews about this speaker
So I should try beyma 10g40 and something like radian 745?
Or beyma in labyrinth plus jbl 2446?
Or jbl 2446 and altec 515g?
Old 13th February 2018, 05:33 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Beyma 10G40
I have heard many good reviews about this speaker
So I should try beyma 10g40 and something like radian 745?
Or beyma in labyrinth plus jbl 2446?
Or jbl 2446 and altec 515g?
For home? I'd (personally) stay with the 10" over the 15". It's not my application, not my choice. At the end of the day, you have to make a decision and start your build. My main reason would be enclosure size. You're looking at 150L for the 15" and only 25L for the 10".

How about reading through this?
Old 13th February 2018, 09:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcloc View Post
For home? I'd (personally) stay with the 10" over the 15". It's not my application, not my choice. At the end of the day, you have to make a decision and start your build. My main reason would be enclosure size. You're looking at 150L for the 15" and only 25L for the 10".

How about reading through this?
Thank you
I had read this topic
What do you think about this
Radian 465+ Radian 950/745 crossed at 8khz
Beyma 10g40 in labyrinth closure crossed at
800hz
Do I need high order filters?
Old 13th February 2018, 09:51 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't know. I think the drivers will work, but I don't know about the enclosure or electronics here.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:54 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wouldn't know. I think the drivers will work, but I don't know about the enclosure or electronics here.
Ok, thank you
What do you think, will beyma 10g40 be able to play 50hz -3db?
Old 13th February 2018, 10:39 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok, thank you
What do you think, will beyma 10g40 be able to play 50hz -3db?
Probably not, but in a 25L with a port frequency of 40 Hz, they'll probably respond to about 40 Hz -10 dB.

I've done a dirty simulation on something like that driver - PAW 25 from Visaton, but I modified the parameters a little - they're quite similar in specs. In frequency response they're also not far apart - just a bit of a peak at about 2.2 kHz on the 10G40, but that can be dropped using the notch (4.7 uF and 1 ohm in the XO image).

As you can see, it's possible to flatten the response a bit where it would normally rise after 200 Hz. This uses a strong baffle step compensation (1.8 mH and 10 ohm). The bass response below 100 Hz is a slow roll-off until it just about dies at around 43 Hz. The baffle is 28 cm wide and 43 cm high.

Please note, this is a crude example. Proper electronics would need to be designed, this just shows what can be done with that driver, in terms of frequency response.
Attached Images
File Type: png XO baffle step.png (4.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: png FR.png (15.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: png FR influences.png (11.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 13th February 2018, 01:38 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Probably not, but in a 25L with a port frequency of 40 Hz, they'll probably respond to about 40 Hz -10 dB.

I've done a dirty simulation on something like that driver - PAW 25 from Visaton, but I modified the parameters a little - they're quite similar in specs. In frequency response they're also not far apart - just a bit of a peak at about 2.2 kHz on the 10G40, but that can be dropped using the notch (4.7 uF and 1 ohm in the XO image).

As you can see, it's possible to flatten the response a bit where it would normally rise after 200 Hz. This uses a strong baffle step compensation (1.8 mH and 10 ohm). The bass response below 100 Hz is a slow roll-off until it just about dies at around 43 Hz. The baffle is 28 cm wide and 43 cm high.

Please note, this is a crude example. Proper electronics would need to be designed, this just shows what can be done with that driver, in terms of frequency response.
I don't understand
I have pmc twenty 22 and they play 40hz -6
I had revel performa m22 and they played 38hz -3
Both are stand-mounters with 7 inch driver
How 10 inch 400watts woofer in labyrinth closure isn't able to play deeper then they do

Building my first speakerHide this!Advertise here!