15 Inch 3 way

Hello,

I want to make a large 3 way using professional drivers.
These speakers will be used for home audio and will be powered by a Class D Iraudamp DIY amplifier ( made by a friend).

Midbas from 55hz to 400hz range i will be using B&C 15NDL88
B&C Speakers

For mid from 400hz to 2000hz i will be using B&C 8PE21
B&C Speakers

And from 2000-18 000hz i will be using B&C DE250+ B&C ME20
B&C Speakers
B&C Speakers

The enclosure is about 85 liters tuned to 45 hz.

I know that DE250 is a verry good driver but i never saw any measurements with ME20 horn. Has anyone used this configuration?
The same for 8PE21, i didn't find any reviews about this driver and o chose it for it's hi spl and liniar response.

If you have any recommendations or advice on the drivers i am here to listen.

Best regards.
Mihai

Attachments

• 3way.jpg
    3way.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 4,654
Typically a 3-way would have a midrange that doesn't get crossed at 2000hz because that is in the middle of the human voice band. I suggest looking for a driver that goes a little higher. I'm not familiar with the specific drivers you are looking at, but nowadays with active crossovers so cheap there is a lot more freedom in driver selection IMO.

Can you recommend me another midrange?

The crossover will be passive, and for eq (if needed) i will be using DCX2496.

Because you have dcx2496 go all active 3 way. This way you can try out unlimited crossover points. This is what i always do when i try to build my own speakers. If i have found the ideal crossover points then i try to build a passive filter.

Why 3way? woofer and tweeter will do the job.

Last edited:
I personally use two Dayton Dome Midranges for my 3-way build.

Other excellent options includes the NEO drivers, some of the Full Rangers would make excellent midrange drivers too. I'd classify any speaker with at least a range from 500 hz to 4khz. Price doesn't equate quality either so I suggest you look around and see what other folks have used with success.

If it were my project, I would be tempted to use a 6" B&C midrange.
I would cross it wherever the radiation angle matches your horn.
I believe that's about 2 kHz for 90 degree for a 6 inch and 1.4 kHz for an 8 inch.
IMHO, there is no perfect crossover point.
I do like 3 ways. The problem is you need to compromise either high frequency directivity with a larger mid, or efficiency or max SPL for a small midrange.
Even with the compromises, 3 way speakers can be stunning.

I would do my initial testing using an AV amplifier and the digital crossover.
Warning, you may never go back to passive.

Good luck with your build.

Looks like a good selection for high efficiency, with limited bass(-F3 ~55Hz). The 8PE21 should match the 90H polar of the ME20 horn between 1800 and 2000Hz, but look for polar measurements to comfirm this. Both the ME20 and 8PE21 are 3.6" deep, and you may be able to get acceptable time alignment from phase shift differences with the proper crossover circuits.

With Fs=87Hz and Qtc=0.19, the B&C 8PE21 sims to -F3=350Hz in a sealed 0.1cuft volume with Qtc=0.47 and sensitivity near 98db.
=========
I have seen better driver combinations with the low Le Faital speakers like 10PR410 midrange ... wider bandwidth but at slightly lower efficiency.

Attachments

• 1in shallow horns.jpg
    1in shallow horns.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 1,328
Thank you for all of your replies

globalplayer the Faital 6FE200 looks good but the spl is only 95 db. I need a midrange to be as loud ( or louder ) as the midbas, that has 99 db.

Koifarm i don't have enough amplifiers to use active crossover, also i would like the speakers to be used on any amplifier.
The class D one and the DCX sometimes i rent it to events so i have to use the speakers with a Harman Kardon AVR132 that has 40w per channel ( enough to get to 114 db at full power on these speakers)

lsiberian Why 3 way? Because in a 2 way there is something missing, i have made 2 way speakers and listen to many brand name, and there is no comparison to a good 3 way. In a 2 way i need a driver to go as low as at least to 1 khz to have a good polar response, and i never heard a 15 inch driver to sound good so high. Its hard to make a 15 inch to have bass and also sound great with mids.

DougL Can you recomend a 6 inch driver that has 98 db for my project? The datasheet of the DE250 says that the recomended crossover is at 1.6 khz with 12db/oct. I think that at that frequency even the 8PE21 has good dispersion.

LineSource I have a DBX measurment mic but i cannot measure the driver only after i buy them, and buid the enclosure. An F3 of 55 hz is ok ( i have 2 subs with 18NW100 for 60hz and lower)

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Its hard to make a 15 inch to have bass and also sound great with mids.
In this case you choose the 15" for the highs, not the bass. Your room should make sure you can't leave this woofer on its own to do bass duty.
The datasheet of the DE250 says that the recomended crossover is at 1.6 khz with 12db/oct.
It will go much lower than this, if you have the waveguide to support it.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Is there some reason you can not use TWO faital 6FE200 per speaker?
It's a bit difficult to find 10" and 12" with high sensitivity also, the 6.5" can be placed close together and wired in parallel for higher sensitivity. There is also a 16ohm variant of it, in case you need/want impedance matching drivers.

Sounds like a great plan :)

Attachments

• 6fe200-2.jpg
    6fe200-2.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 912