Infinite Baffle to the outside wall of the house?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, almost. I have a situation, where my desk backs up to an exterior wall, in my man cave. It would be awesome. if I could install a pair of 6.5" IB coax speakers in the wall, to each side of the desk. The man cave is a converted pre fab building, so the walls are only 1" thick. Making IB to the outside perfect ... almost.

I do not want my neighbors hearing the sound however. So here is what I am wondering; If I were to build a large enough enclosure, really large, on the outside of the exterior wall, and line it with enough sound insulation, can it still work as IB, if the enclosure is large enough ? As large as say 2'x6'x6'

Also, what if the enclosure is a 8 ft long 8"x2 foot long rectangle, with a couple of bends in it, and completely stuffed loosely with polyfill, and left OPEN on the end? Will this act as IB, and kill the volume of the backwave?

IB is about good very low bass, how much can your 6.5" coax produce? What is nice is that mounting flush to the wall means no front wall reflections and can give good imagery

I only need my Coax's to reach around 80hz. They will be crossed to a sub below that.

The beauty for me, is not having speakers physically on my desk.

BUT, I need to know if I can somehow tame the backwards sound, without it affecting the forward firing sound, if done properly ? And were my above mentioned ways, proper enough ?

I'm impressed by over-the-top builds, but the IB you propose is not worth it. 6" and 80Hz doesn't need that big an enclosure.

If I was gagging to vent a midbass externally, I'd keep the box volume small by using a heavily stuffed length of pipe to eat the rear wave. If this pipe went outside, I'd use PVC and put a downward bend and bug screen on it, for obvious reasons.

It'd be much less work than building (and weather proofing) a large, heavily lined box.

The beauty for me, is not having speakers physically on my desk.

Why not get them off the desk a much simpler way? Just suspend them from the ceiling, or mount them to the wall, and angle them appropriately.

The man cave is a converted pre fab building, so the walls are only 1" thick.
[...]
I do not want my neighbors hearing the sound however.

Seems like your listening room will be acoustically leaky no matter what you do; any bass you hear, your neighbors will hear.

...but see here for an externally firing IB sub.

William Cowan's Homepage

"Since the sub only operates below 50Hz, the output off the back of the drivers is not offensive, and so far has not been responsible for any neighbour complaint."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.