Should I modify ADS L570/2 or Yamaha NS 670 speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PAIR ADS SPEAKERS MODEL L570 / 2 MADE IN USA Photo #818023 - Canuck Audio Mart

or

Rare Vintage Yamaha speakers NS-670 Photo #348553 - Canuck Audio Mart

I like the Yamaha speakers build quality.
But having trouble crossing over Dayton RS52AN-8
Have Dayton RS270S-08 for the low end and bunch of tweeters for high end
Can also go with RS125 and RS150 for 3-way, but I don't know how to do a simple x-over for it

Or I can put a Wavecor TW30 tweeter and Silver flute 8" woofer into the ADS L570/2 and call it done, that should be much easier
Then later I can modify the enclosure
ADs appeals to me because it has a metal grill
I need metal grills on my speakers
Making grills is almost 50% of the enclosure work for me

But the Yamaha is build really well

What should I do?
Does this make any sense?
It's a lot more complex, but I don't want to over complicate my questions.

I feel the RS52AN-8 has very limited use, maybe more for hard core audiophiles and I just want to keep things simple
Hardest thing to figure out is how to cross-over RS125 or RS150 to RS270
I also have other midrange drivers

Using the RS52 I have 2-3 cross-overs to copy/modify
Putting in a RS125/RS150 and crossing to RS270, I can't find any cross-overs to modify slightly

I'd like to do a 3-way with all 6db/octave cross-overs, but it seems next to impossible

Attachments

• yamaha NS 670.jpg
    yamaha NS 670.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 289
  • ads L570-2.jpg
    ads L570-2.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 342
1) Yamaha cabs are nice
2) I need grills, therefore RS52AN-8 seems like a good choice
3) ADS comes with grills, so I don't need a grill(s) and less cross-over work and woodwork

I think I might try Yamaha with RS125 to RS270, if I can find an existing cross over for this type of setup

Yamaha (except for the back) is 1" plywood and braced
Back is 1" particle board, that I can replace if it bothers me

Funny thing is I have a suspicion I won't like the yamaha with a RS52 because the woofer (RS270) is too big to match with the RS52

I had a ADS 3.5-way in my living room and it sounded good, but that's because it had two 6.5-7 inch woofer per speaker, I think

I really just like drivers that come with (metal) grills attached

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You have a lot of conflicting desires, and it sounds like you need to build a few different speakers.
Your rs52s and rs270s can be built into Tony Gee's Blackbox.
Your desire for a 6db 3way will require genuinely appropriate drivers(see the seas 303 for examples of suitable behavior to help you find new similar), or some skillfull dsp work to pull off actual 6db acoustics.
Or you could build an ADS style 3way under your ADS's grills.

You've got too many choices, time to build some speakers and learn what your actual listening preferences are.

Yeah, I think I made my original post too confusing
Please any one let me know if you find a 3-way published schematic using RS125 or RS150 and RS270

Black Box cross over is way, way too complex
Needs to sound 10 times better over simpler cross over for me to build it
I'm generally not crazy about most Dayton drivers anyway, so if I was going to put that much work/effort into something it would be with ScanSpeak or SB Acoustics drivers or similar quality

I guess I just have no time to build what I want
I'm pretty sure RS52 and RS270 is not a good match, but not 100%

Hardest thing to figure out is how to cross-over RS125 or RS150 to RS270
I also have other midrange drivers...
I'd like to do a 3-way with all 6db/octave cross-overs, but it seems next to impossible

Hi, 1st order filters could hardly be considered anything more than just an illusion of a decent filter. I could try to simulate a simple filter with Dayton drivers since these come with ready made measurement files, I'd simply need to add baffle diffraction and box loading, if you don't have any objection to that, once I know what the baffle measures might be.

Ok boss, here's what I have
Doesn't sound too bad
I like speakers with potentiometers
Don't know what the cross-over frequencies are
Sound pretty good, maybe I can just add a notch filter for the mid-dome?
Haven't hooked up the woofers yet

Maybe I should get XT25 and copy Falcon cross-over:
Peerless 830869 and RS52AN @ AmpsLab

Kind of a waste to get a mid-dome and not go with ribbon tweeter, but I love the XT25
You can hear so much silliness with a ribbon and a XT25 for that matter, but seemingly not as much as a ribbon

Attachments

• IMG_20180212_135536.jpg
    IMG_20180212_135536.jpg
    737.9 KB · Views: 161
Those enclosures appear to be in gorgeous condition. Why not just tune up the original Yammy crossovers, rub in some Howard’s Orange Oil finish, and enjoy them while designing your all new 3Ways?
And don’t be surprised if the 670s are musical enough to want to keep unmodified.

Those enclosures appear to be in gorgeous condition. Why not just tune up the original Yammy crossovers, rub in some Howard’s Orange Oil finish, and enjoy them while designing your all new 3Ways?
And don’t be surprised if the 670s are musical enough to want to keep unmodified.

I agree with you 100%. Stock is far better than any botch job he is attempting to do.

And I find it funny that throughout the entire thread, he has completely ignored every single post I've made here. Apparently, he has no valid response.

It would be like someone buying a brand new C7 Corvette ZR1, getting it home, yanking out the 755 hp supercharged 6.2L motor and throwing in the base Stingray's naturally aspirated 460 hp 6.2L motor. Why? What's the point? It's not improving anything.

Meh... Whatever. :rolleyes:

Of it was not for an ocean between us, I'd come over and smack him on the head! :mad:

Who me?
or chops?
or both?
I tend to get cheeky too :D
I think it's all in good fun, well for me it is :angel:

Chops is kind of right, but I'm not into vintage drivers
A lot of things age in 40 years, even far less
Materials aging; therefore suspension compliance changing is the biggest problem
But there are many others

Very very nicely built speakers though, drivers, woodwork grills
I just want to reuse the cabinets because you can't buy wood this nice locally

But it seems to be a lot of work; well a lot of thinking, then a lot of work probably

I just want to slap something together quickly
With the ADS I could be done in a day and then take my time changing the cross-over

Jimmy - how much time have you actually spent listening to either the Yammys or the ADS in their "stock" condition?

While admittedly only passingly familiar with only some of the smaller ADS, I did own a pair of the 670s - among dozens of others "back in the day" - and quite liked their performance, and compared to many similarly priced US brands of the era, their build quality was vastly superior.

Just slapping something together, and then fudging around with the cross-over later is certainly an interesting approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.