15" 2-way Ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What about the FaitalPRO 18HP1010 its not that much more expensive, heres a link to it. FaitalPRO 18HP1010 18" Professional Subwoofer 8 Ohm

Here's a way cheaper 18" Dayton Audio PA465S-8 the link is
Dayton Audio PA465S-8 18" Pro Subwoofer 4" VC 8 Ohm

Would the Dayton be that much worse in SQ? Sensitivity is down quiet a bit though.

I'm back to the 18" idea I need to find a 10" midrange then and it will break my budget but that just means Ill by parts not all at once and build as I go.

That 18" fatal though is my favorite so far.

So my plan is to make a 15" 2-way very dynamic massive speakers. Im new to building so would love any feedback.

Driver I'm think of would be a Beyma SM115/N 15" woofer
Beyma SM115/N 15 inch low frequency loudspeaker 400W | Loudspeaker freaks

and a Eminence N314T-8 CD
Eminence N314T-8 1.4" Neo Compression Driver 8 Ohm 4-Bolt

with a Eminence H14EA horn
Eminence H14EA 1.4" Cast Aluminum Exponential Horn 60x40 4-Bolt

For the crossover I would add an L-Pad 13 db or so on the CD and using a 3rd order crossover point of 1000 hz. the reason why I chose 1000 hz is because distortion on the CD seems to rise very fast see attached image and at 1000 hz I figured the woofer wouldn't have a real issue with beaming. I also choice a 2-way so that there would be less error in the crossover.

For the enclosure it would be around 6 cubic feet vented and hope to get at-least around 40hz before my 3db drop off. I also want to design the enclosure around the vintage JBL monitor look.

A few questions I have is is am I being realistic with my expectations of these drivers? I also have a mini dsp I use for my dual 21" subs I could use for this project at least for the woofers don't like the idea of using a dsp on the tweeters. I'm not keeping the subs so why not.

Here's a link the an artical on the CD Test Bench: Eminence N314T-8 with H14EA Horn and N320T-8 with H2EA Horn
Bob, I started a similar thread a few days ago in the full range thread.

Like you I want to build a 2 way with 15" subs. I am going open baffle as I have been using magneplanars and ribbons for 25 years and I can't listen to boxes anymore (box resonances stick out like a sore thumb since I am so unaccustomed to them).

I have been inspired by the layout of the PureAudio Project speakers. Damn easy to make as a diy project.

New ! PAP-Horn1 Trio15 Speakers – PureAudioProject

For woofers, I was considering buying a set of OEM Eminence drivers that PureAudio sells but shipping to Australia makes them expensive. I have found that I can buy FaitalPro 15PR400 from local distributor for a significantly lower price, and as you can see in this thread, many people consider these better then Eminence drivers so its a win win for me. So they are on my shortlist. Beyma woofers are good I am sure but there is no Australian distributor and they are too expensive to import.

I have considered CD. Disadvantage I see is that crossover is going to be around 1k and I prefer to limit the woofer somewhat lower. So I am looking at a full range driver (6 to 8 inch) for the mid/tweeter driver. Still looking at lots of alternatives for this, have you thought about FR drivers or are you committed to CDs?

I already bi-amp my magneplanars panels, with a passive line level crossover at 660Herts to my diy ribbons. So I will keep this for the new system, good thing about my crossover is that I can change it in minutes with a few cheap caps. No need for big inductors or large caps.

Will be interested to see how your design pans out.

Id like to go open baffle but I need low end. The music I listen to has a lot of low end bass.

Tbh I'm not to familiar with CDs, I have built 2 pairs of speakers and they both used Fountek ribbons. Although they sound fantastic I always though they struggled in dynamics same with the woofers and mid range. I figured this is the path to solving the issues. I have heard JBL titanium tweeters before and liked them a lot so I think ill be fine with a Titanium CD. I also like beryllium tweeters better but to expensive.

I do plan on crossing an 18 lower then 250 hz.

The Fane does seem to go out to 20k which is surprising for a big 12inch FR - but the off axis response looks terrible! How does it sound?

Very good, pleasant smooth natural paper sound.
Also lots of detail and baffling highs for a 12 inch.

I use it with a "waveguide" and "phase-plug" to even out response and increase high freq dispersion.

xo 110-130hz.

Fane 12" FR

Very good, pleasant smooth natural paper sound.
Also lots of detail and baffling highs for a 12 inch.

I use it with a "waveguide" and "phase-plug" to even out response and increase high freq dispersion.

xo 110-130hz.
And of course there is no dealer in Australia :mad:

Did you cut out the dustcap and install waveguide yourself? How did you make the waveguide?

Regards

And of course there is no dealer in Australia :mad:

Did you cut out the dustcap and install waveguide yourself? How did you make the waveguide?

Regards

Quick and dirty sketch.

i4jg9jlw.png

Doing it like this you will have a wide soundstage, good highs dispersion and won`t need any eq.

I couldn`t do anything to this beautiful sounding driver, so I tried using "external" methods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.