15" 2-way Ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm back to the 2 way idea and have decided and am about to buy a FaitalPRO 15FH520 for the 15" woofer.
FaitalPRO 15FH520 15" Neodymium Professional Woofer 8 Ohm

I chose these because of the low f3 I can achieve, it should be some where around 43hz and the reputation FP has of good quality. Thanks to the posters here I hadnt even though of them before.

Now I need CDs that will go low enough.

I am way to excited to start building these speakers!!!!!!

Last edited:
Im new to building...

How about designing?

Although easier than ever considering the wealth of online resources, a solid speaker design still needs more than a few keystrokes to come together.

I'd suggest something already designed for that you could put together. DIYsoundgroup seems to have a lot of good things that could fit your bill. No affiliation, but I do lean towards large constant-directivity designs and they offer a few of these for what seems to be a fair price. Have a look at F-12 or F-15.

Just for fun, here is another interesting 15” class residential woofer alternative. The main emphasis being on a balance of driver cost – availability, at least 93 db half space efficiency, minimum enclosure size appropriate for a residential environment(s), ability to achieve a F3 in the upper 30’s, durability, flat +/- 3 db frequency response to 1,200 Hz with steep roll off thereafter and substantial output capacity.
Minimum enclosure size is important. Smaller enclosures, all things equal, are easier to build, cost less, more space efficient, easier to dampen, as in reduced box talk and easier to handle. There are few “quality” 15” woofers that do really do all the above in a "small" enclosure. The only one I am aware of is the Eminence Definimax 4015LF.
Using Thiele QT alignment(s) and assuming an RG in the .2-.4 ohm area, this 15 is a great performer in ported boxes as small as 2.6 Cu. Ft. 2.8-3.2 Cu. Ft. can get you an F3 at or below 40 Hz. 4” or 6” ports of reasonable lengths work just fine. Add an x-max of 9 mm peak, real 93+ db/watt half space efficiency, vented undercut pole piece with faraday ring and a cast frame, it is tough to do better. Power handling is a real 1,000+ watts. 4” voice coil and so on. Not too bad for $230.00 each.
The above can be easily crossed over around 500 Hz (2nd or 3rd order) which practical for several horn loaded H.F. mates.

ALTHOUGH - I'm still a BIG FAN of 3-way designs........

The Faital 15FH520 is a good 15" woofer for a 2-way. I attached SPL plots for ported cabinet volumes of 6-8-10cuft you can review.

With an 800Hz crossover point, you can use your original 1.4" CD choice, the Eminence N314T-8, with a horn like the Faital LTH142 Tractrix for 60H x 50V polar pattern, or a physically larger horn like the SEOS-24 for a 90H x 40V polar pattern.

If you decide to EXPERIMENT and push the 15FH520 up to a 900-1kHz crossover point in order to get high frequency extension over 18kHz, the recommended 1" BMS 4550 CD is probably your best choice with a physically larger horn like the SEOS-18 for a 90H x 40V polar pattern. The 23" diameter JMLC-350 horn has STYLE. You will need steep LR4/LR4 crossover circuits to attempt a 900-1kHz crossover. You can experiment with a smaller horn like the Faital LTH102 Tractrix for 60H x 50V polar pattern, but I suspect you will be disappointed with the abrupt polar pattern shift.

Again....the 23" diameter JMLC-350 horn has STYLE.

Attachments

• Faital 15FH520 Box Volume.JPG
    Faital 15FH520 Box Volume.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 630
The Faital 15FH520 is an interesting driver... like the Neo magnet... and light weight. Too bad no rear vent. What I often wonder is why a pro outfit like Faital would lie about the drivers true usable efficiency - sensitivity down where you are actually going to use the thing, FS to 1Khz? True (usable) sensitivity is more like 95 db, not the 98 claimed. Up at 3Khz you may see the 98 db claim met, but not too many folks would use it up there. It's a 15 inch! Don't get me wrong, 95 is quite good given the rest of the specs. And Faital is certainly not alone, others do the same including Eminence.

This driver will, in a ported 4 Cu. Ft. or so box deliver an F3 of around 37 - 38 Hz with a 6" dia X 9" long port. Not bad either. But at $325 or so each, pretty steep for a 15". Neo is expensive.

I agree I haven't bought it yet, just because I'm struggling to find a CD that will go that low that I like. Seems like you sacrifice top end for a low crossover point. Something that I thought of today was a AMT? Maby something like this Aurum Cantus AST25120 Aero Striction Tweeter 8 Ohm
Aurum Cantus AST25120 Aero Striction Tweeter 8 Ohm

That would get low and loud enough I think. I know I'm deviating again. But if I'm gonna throw down this kind of money I want to figure this out for the best way. That Eminence looks interesting I'm gonna look into that.

I have my doubts about that AMT.

It is a bit lightweight. The Beyma AMT weighs 3x as much with neo mags.
The beyma however has a slightly higher recommended xover point but those who used it say it does much better if crossed at 2k. The reason being highish 3rd order distortion.
I doubt this is superior to any of the Beymas except may be the small TPL75.

Also without a horn the dispersion is all wrong to mate it to a 15".

In my opinion a good cd with horn is a much better option.

Reactions: 1 user
Addressing the H.F. aspect.... If you need at least 18K on the high end (flat really) with a two way, you usually end up with a 1.4" exit compression driver. The flattest one at a decent price I know of also happens to be from Eminence.

N314T-8. Good from 800 Hz. up with a horn that will load down to 600 Hz or less. This is a light weight Neo magnet driver with a full 3" diaphragm. So it can handle the low end well enough. Faraday motor set up too. So very low distortion. Mates well with the Eminence H14EA exponential or similar.

Just for the record, I am not associated with any speaker manufacturer or distributor.

There are a couple of 2" exit compression drivers I have used that will work from 500 Hz to over 18K. The P.Audio BM-D750 for example. But I think it is no longer available. And to get it to work down at 500 Hz takes a very large horn not practical in a residential environment.

So the compromise is a 800 Hz low end cut off. And a 60 deg. horizontal X 40 deg. vertical radiating pattern. Kind of the bare minimum for residential applications. There are a few Constant Directivity horns out there that can reach down to 800 Hz, but they get a bit ragged at cut off. As usual, it's all about making the best compromises. The cost of the above is about $260 or so each speaker.

Addressing the H.F. aspect.... If you need at least 18K on the high end (flat really) with a two way, you usually end up with a 1.4" exit compression driver. The flattest one at a decent price I know of also happens to be from Eminence.

N314T-8. Good from 800 Hz. up with a horn that will load down to 600 Hz or less. This is a light weight Neo magnet driver with a full 3" diaphragm. So it can handle the low end well enough. Faraday motor set up too. So very low distortion. Mates well with the Eminence H14EA exponential or similar.

Just for the record, I am not associated with any speaker manufacturer or distributor.

There are a couple of 2" exit compression drivers I have used that will work from 500 Hz to over 18K. The P.Audio BM-D750 for example. But I think it is no longer available. And to get it to work down at 500 Hz takes a very large horn not practical in a residential environment.

So the compromise is a 800 Hz low end cut off. And a 60 deg. horizontal X 40 deg. vertical radiating pattern. Kind of the bare minimum for residential applications. There are a few Constant Directivity horns out there that can reach down to 800 Hz, but they get a bit ragged at cut off. As usual, it's all about making the best compromises. The cost of the above is about $260 or so each speaker.

What would you suggest the N314 or the N320. I figure the 320 would be better on the low end and the 314 better on the high.

Drivers pretty much inevitably beam at 90deg when frequency = diameter, for a 15" that is about 900Hz.

So that is the preferred xover frequency if you use a 90deg horn which is the most common for horns. Both woofer and cd need to be able to reproduce 900Hz with ease.
Smaller compression drivers will have a higher extension than larger ones hence my suggestion of the BMS 4550 which will reach 900hz at one end and 20k at the other.

You might be able to find a 1.4" cd that goes high enough for you but it may cost you more.
I'd also recommend a fairly steep xover slope to keep the cd stress free and the woofer out of break up modes.

The crossover however will be a bit of a challenge and require an additional notch filter for a flat response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.