Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

15" 2-way Ideas
15" 2-way Ideas
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2018, 05:12 PM   #121
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out the 18 Sound ND3ST on Test Bench. Looks even better....very reasonable price as well.
Old 9th February 2018, 05:19 PM   #122
BobtheBuilderMLG is offline BobtheBuilderMLG  United States
diyAudio Member

Will do.
Old 9th February 2018, 05:29 PM   #123
BobtheBuilderMLG is offline BobtheBuilderMLG  United States
diyAudio Member

Where can I find it for sale?
Old 9th February 2018, 05:35 PM   #124
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

18 Sound distributor in Florida. Universal Music USA.

Recommended crossover is 1000hz and up but you won't be using more than a watt in home use. I can see it easily working down to 800 or even lower in a home setting.

Last edited by ErnieM; 9th February 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 9th February 2018, 05:57 PM   #125
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobtheBuilderMLG View Post

A complete Faital build would be awesome I'm thinking the 140 as well and it claims it will go down to 900hz.
Note that 900Hz is only correct when you use a horn with 90deg dispersion.
A narrower dispersion would ideally want a higher crossover point to keep the transition smooth.

That said a sudden, limited narrowing is nowhere near as bad as a sudden widening like you would get with a dome tweeter.

Lastly I have no idea how to calculate beaming beyond 90deg but it is largely predictable as it is mostly a geometric problem if you disregard cone break up and very minor influences from cone shape.

In the end it is a compromise: The higher you run the 15s the more of the midrange will be muddled a bit due to intermodulation (hence my preference of 3ways) , the lower you put the more you stress the compression driver. In conclusion I'd be tempted to forego an idealized dispersion in favour of not running the 15 higher than 900Hz if cd and horn can handle it.

PS: Don't know what the 18Sound ND3 costs in North America but here it goes for 275 or the same as another 18Sound cd which costs US$400 in the States.

Last edited by Charles Darwin; 9th February 2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 9th February 2018, 06:21 PM   #126
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

15" 2-way Ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
Check out the 18 Sound ND3ST on Test Bench. Looks even better....very reasonable price as well.
Test Bench: Eighteen Sound ND3ST 1.4” Compression Driver

George
Old 9th February 2018, 06:41 PM   #127
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

The Faital HF146 has a Ketone polymer dome, plus a new shorter phase plug, which produce a smoother high frequency response than the titanium dome on the Faital HF140. Compare the SPL graphs, and the Impedance graphs for resonance bumps. The Faital LTH142 is a well reviewed aluminum tractrix horn which perfectly matches the exit angle of Faital compression drivers.

So you have 1.4" CD choices for an all Faital system. See my post #5 for a few cabinet shapes.

With DSP and Bi-Amps for the woofer and tweeter you do not need to put a passive attenuator on the 109db SPL compression driver, but you might find it desirable to balance the large 109db vs 97db difference in efficiency - the large difference in low listening level amplifier power. You will want to study crossover options for the HF146/HF140 compression driver to understand why some designs use resistor L-pads and some designs use multi-tap transformers for attenuation. The HF CD will also require treble boost at 15Khz to get a flat, extended SPL.

There are a few threads on building non-resonant cabinets with the best dimensions for 2-way horn designs.
Old 9th February 2018, 07:07 PM   #128
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Damn, I see I wrote '140, I really meant the '146.
I completely agree on the ketone polymer, it is superior in every way. Good to know people are awake here.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:24 PM   #129
Mleod is offline Mleod  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello!

I do not know what his needs are, but in the choice of drivers keep in mind the nature of the diaphragm, each type has its own sound shadow ... try to listen to at least some of them to figure out which one will best meet his expectations. I think it should pay attention to the sensitivity between CD and WO, the smaller the difference between them will be the corrections and the consequent acoustic alterations, especially if the crossover will be passive. I hope I have been of help, greetings.

Mleod
Old 9th February 2018, 10:03 PM   #130
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just noticed that Faital rates all their 1.4" cds down > 650Hz albeit at half power compared to the >900Hz number.

However that is still between 35-50W so you should be more than ok domestically.

15" 2-way IdeasHide this!Advertise here!