Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

@next667

@Gaga,

Exactly what I thought! Your seems made sense to me!
I think they are only way forward tbh.
Did you maybe try "reverse engineering" some of the measured WGs in order to improve your models?
I did relatively detailed analysis of what's ongoing with the DXT-contour here and here.

To me it was rather helpful to learn what the different steps are 'doing' in terms of directivity control.

However, some of the eliptical waveguides I worked on were quite ok anyway. For example th eone described here (sorry, again in German).

Very briefly:
The eliptical WG
attachment.php

The quarter model to get an idea of the contour
attachment.php

SPL in an infinite baffle
attachment.php

Horizontal directivity in infinite baffle
attachment.php

Directivity from 2-20kHz with -6dB highlighted by lines
attachment.php

...and in an enclosure
attachment.php

Please note, that these simulations have been done using an 'ideal' flat membrane at the WG throat in order to concentrate on the impact of the WG contour first.

The tricky thing is then to adapt a WG to a specific tweeter, i.e. to a dome, invers dome or ring radiator. and to adapt the directivity of the WG to the directivity of a specific bass-mid-driver.
The observation, that a small 'step' at the WG throat is extremely helpful to achieve a constant directivity at higher frequencies was a result of the subsequent work on simulating domes, inverse domes, ring radiators etc...

Attachments

• WG gaga complete.png
    WG gaga complete.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,231
  • WG gaga 1.png
    WG gaga 1.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • WG gaga SPL 0-90deg.png
    WG gaga SPL 0-90deg.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,210
  • WG gaga directivity horiz.png
    WG gaga directivity horiz.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,194
  • WG gaga directivity 2-20kHz -6dB.png
    WG gaga directivity 2-20kHz -6dB.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • wg gaga in enclosure directivity.png
    wg gaga in enclosure directivity.png
    63 KB · Views: 1,190
@augerpro
I'm just testing a speaker prototype with the SB26ADC on your 6" waveguide "6x1 B v2.stl".

I would like to modify the mounting holes a little, so is it possible for you to post the STEP file, please.

I'll get it posted tomorrow morning, unless Matthias sees this and posts it first.

Hi Augerpro:

Have you made a new iteration of WG for SB26ADC lately?

I have. Haven't measured it yet though, I've been swamped with overtime and house work. I have some vacation in June and should be able to measure it.

If you look carefully its not bigger than mw13, actually I'd say its regular 104mm size... USXX commented on danish forums that simple conical is usually best, and that stac is designed to be wg loaded...
h6vDMcz.jpg

you can also see new 2.5" satori mid - Waveguide that haha

Can't say I'm terribly impressed with those. One is so small, the other so large, and both are circular for maximum CTC to the midrange :( Still, having a factory option is VERY welcome. OTOH the mid-dome has me drooling. I have half finished speakers using the fantastic TangBand 3" dome, which promptly went NLA. Hopefully these will surpass the TB, the 2.5" is a good start, the 3" domes are surprisingly directional above 2khz.

Take a look at what came out of the CNC machine here...

Those look fantastic! Any issues with fitment,etc?

@next667

I did relatively detailed analysis of what's ongoing with the DXT-contour here and here.

I like that wall contour, sort of JBL M2-esque. How did you model that?

Thanks a lot next667!
Kudos go to augerpro for his ongoing fantastic work here.
I'm really happy to support as far as possible. However, very little time actually. So, please be patient, if I respond with delay.
I'm working on a WG for an AMT actually. A bit slow, but I update in teh German forum from time to time. WGs for dome tweeters are very well covered here by augerpros work...:)

...and both are circular for maximum CTC to the midrange...

I agree that shaving some space to allow close mounting of the tweeter and midrange driver makes sense in general.

However, I just realised that with the drivers used in the Monkey Coffin project, the distance between the tweeter and the midrange is limited by the size of the (huge!) magnet of the midrange driver, not by the waveguide. I would therefore be very interested in a round version of the Scan Speak waveguide. Basically a "clone" of the WG148 would be cool. The advantage of this would be that it's easier for builders to make a circular cut-out of on the baffle, and it would be easy-peasy to fit the Scan Speak tweeter to the waveguide (which is a bit tricky with the WG148).

How much work would it be to modify the existing oval design (for example the 5" version A) to a circular waveguide with an external diameter of 148 mm?

probably easy, but it will measure differently.

Sure! I'd guess it would work out similar to a WG148.

I can work on it tonight and post something.

I might just have a go at it and compare measurements from the circular and oval versions, and also the WG148 (which I modified to fit the Scan tweeter).