Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2018, 09:00 PM   #41
Gaga is offline Gaga  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Brandon,

Quote:
Christoph> if you get a chance, work the sim more on the SB26ADC. Of interest: a shim at the throat to move the dome back, vertical wall radius, and to a lesser extent the horizontal wall radius - though I feel that is pretty right on.
Will do so. Try to do it during the next weekend and will come back with results soon.

Hi Ro808,
Quote:
Christoff, if it's not too much of a hassle, it would be interesting to see the effect of a small area of "low curvature" (or even flat) in a (rather deep) waveguide for a hemispherical dome tweeter.
Some space of 2-4mm around the surround "to breath" > might eliminate/cancel interferences.
I'm not sure if I get your idea. Could you possibly give a rough drawing of the profile you are suggesting with rough dimensions? This will help for a simulation.

Christoph
Old 21st February 2018, 01:25 AM   #42
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are the results for SB26ADC on the 8" waveguide. Note, I usually measure with and without phase shield, sometimes with a shim between mouth and tweeter, and sometimes check vertical responses on more promising/new designs. All of this is noted in the screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: png gwnAquQ.png (54.0 KB, 576 views)
File Type: png GJvEWpe.png (54.2 KB, 562 views)
File Type: png czc4Lz4.png (53.3 KB, 557 views)
File Type: png bqxpckk.png (54.6 KB, 552 views)
Old 21st February 2018, 01:29 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Much awaited results on the Transducer Lab N26CA! Probably the best of the bunch on the troublesome 5" waveguide. I think the squiggle around 10khz is a similar to issues I had with the SB26, might just need a small lip and/or some tape on the mounting face to stop vibration. Wish these weren't NLA, moving up in size will probably make some beautiful plots.
Attached Images
File Type: png SQBA632.png (53.4 KB, 555 views)
File Type: png RJbrz3p.png (52.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 21st February 2018, 01:33 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Here is the TW29RN on both 5" and 8" waveguides. With pinned center it's no surprise the phase shield does nothing. The top octave has me miserable. The difference version A and B is slightly different wall radius.
Attached Images
File Type: png FAcqIyk.png (55.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: png YiZ0Yi9.png (55.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: png UCw723H.png (55.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png LeH3rkP.png (55.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png 0yKtv6t.png (55.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: png vZy52Yi.png (54.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: png GtY3YUt.png (55.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: png t79TVKD.png (54.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 21st February 2018, 02:06 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

For anyone unfamiliar with the natural response of a horn loaded driver, here is the N26 after some simple filtering to flatten the "tilt":
Attached Images
File Type: png LWYrW3N.png (48.2 KB, 125 views)
Old 21st February 2018, 02:42 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Roland, Christoph> here some pics to show what I'd like to focus on (other than the ever present top octave dip in the on axis response so common in waveguides):

0uLAKGG.png

K95Fgvm.png

A couple posts back I mentioned the flawed phase shield. The support rod was off-center, and so the response was different when going off axis to one side or the other. Here are the plots going the opposite direction of F above, I *assume* the response with the fixed phase shield should be the average, if so, it should look real good:

DsPRuy3.png

BTW you can also see the ripple below about 4khz flip flop, so all that ripple is just the baffle diffraction.
Old 26th February 2018, 01:35 AM   #47
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Brendon, apart from the issues >10kHz these look promising, especially the elliptical.

Could you post some pics of these last 2 waveguides with the SB26ADC mounted?
Just to check the throath area: the distance of the surround towards the walls, the height of the dome vs the surround vs. the waveguide.
Old 26th February 2018, 06:58 AM   #48
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
Christoff, if it's not too much of a hassle, it would be interesting to see the effect of a small area of "low curvature" (or even flat) in a (rather deep) waveguide for a hemispherical dome tweeter.
Can't remember why, but when I was experimenting with waveguides I thought a bigger gap would solve the top octave issue too.
Old 27th February 2018, 12:50 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Roland> if I understand you, here is a closeup so you can see how much is outside the surround (about a 1mm):

d5LCyYm.jpg

It's tough to get a good pic of these, the nylon is always over-exposed
Old 17th March 2018, 07:44 PM   #50
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

I notice all your WG's are fully rounded. Have you noticed that Revel's waveguide for the SB26 aluminum tweeter has a vertical crease of sorts?

g265M105WH-o_other7.jpg

I don't know how much harder that would be to model, but wanted to throw it out there.

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!Hide this!Advertise here!