Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2018, 02:36 PM   #281
Mayuri is offline Mayuri  Finland
diyAudio Member

With the test versions I've printed, the phase shield is always printed faulty. Decided to remove it in the end, because at least on the 4" version it makes a minimal impact and it's much easier to print without it.

If you are having problems with flush mounting elliptical waveguide, just make it have a round base with some free CAD program, such as TinkerCAD.
Old 6th December 2018, 08:36 PM   #282
Bear5k is offline Bear5k  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Not sure what you are asking for regarding a flat surface? The face the tweeter attaches to has some centering pegs which could be optional and a sealing lip which is not.
Sorry. Apparently I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the, uh, business side of the waveguides. Your testing has shown a circular jig/mount into which the elliptical waveguides have gone.

If I were mounting the 6" on a baffle, I'd like to be sure that the major axis is perpendicular to the vertical edge of the baffle (Y-axis) of the baffle. Looking at the template-making instructions on the Reddit link, below:

Step 2 - Creating X and Y coordinate lines is straightforward. I can probably eyeball the long axis using the side screw holes. Index marks on the back of the waveguide would be valuable to align the X and Y axes of the waveguide to the X and Y axes of the disposable first template.

Step 13 - this translates the patterning to the baffle, but it will also translate any initial positioning error (e.g., if the waveguide was canted 5 degrees when the first template was made, this is what would be transferred to the baffle).

Index marks on the back of the waveguide (voids, rather than protuberances would probably be easiest) would help align the guide. A flat surface, 90 or 180 degrees for an inch or so, would also help with alignment using a square (e.g., carpenter's, framing). Think of it like truncating a driver frame, but it doesn't have to be on the face of the WG (though that is easiest.

Quote:
These are easy to make a routing template for: Tutorial: How to flush-mount irregular shaped speakers : diyaudio
Thanks! I just re-read the thread and picked up on that. I'll just take the brute-force template approach, rather than trying for a generalized solution for ellipses. I'm not sure why using template making techniques isn't already in my go-to arsenal, but I'm sure it soon will be. Also, this is the upside for having spare junk parts. I don't have to worry about hurting them cosmetically. :-)

Last edited by Bear5k; 6th December 2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:02 PM   #283
Bear5k is offline Bear5k  United States
diyAudio Member

On further thought, if I drill the mount holes first, rather than using the waveguide as a locator for my punch, then I should get it oriented close-enough to square so that I won't notice.

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!Hide this!Advertise here!