Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2018, 08:04 PM   #11
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'll start posting some .stl or .obj files after I measure a few guides I just received from the printer. No definitive designs, but at least people can play round with them and see what they think so far.
Old 31st January 2018, 11:14 PM   #12
jc2 is offline jc2
diyAudio Member

Very cool work. So these just mount on top of the existing tweeter faceplate? No disassembly of the tweeter?

I have access to a CNC machine, if you want to prototype a pair in aluminum let me know, I can probably make that happen. Not sure I can make the waveguide with integrated phase plugs though. Might have to be 2 pieces, or it might just be really difficult to do in any case. If you have 3d files in .stp format it's pretty trivial for me to see how bad the CAM work would be.
Old 1st February 2018, 01:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Mounting depends on the tweeter. For all the SBA/Satori drivers, their faceplate comes off easily and is not integral to locating the diaphragm like many tweeters are. So pretty easy to mate, and they have keyholes, so matching that in my design makes centering the dome pretty much plug-and-play. The Transducer Lab tweeters require the faceplate to stay attached or you'll rip the diaphragm off with it. Luckily there flat faceplate again makes mounting very easy.

Early on in the thread at PE, we discussed this, and it would be fairly easy to design the phase plug as a standalone item with cylindrical keys at the end, with a matching depression in the waveguide wall which would be easily made with the end mill of the CNC. I "hope" with some optimization the phase plug won't be necessary.
Old 1st February 2018, 04:19 AM   #14
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
I "hope" with some optimization the phase plug won't be necessary.
That's the next topic on the agenda, I guess

Last edited by Ro808; 1st February 2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 1st February 2018, 08:34 AM   #15
Rokytheman is offline Rokytheman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Have you thought making/simulating a waveguide for the SB29RDC-C000-4 tweeter?
Old 1st February 2018, 07:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokytheman View Post
Have you thought making/simulating a waveguide for the SB29RDC-C000-4 tweeter?
No I haven't. Are the diaphragm dimensions the same as the TW29RN?
Old 1st February 2018, 10:16 PM   #17
Gaga is offline Gaga  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,

First of all I wanted say that I'm very impressed about the work Brandon is presenting here.

Actually I'm in contact with Brandon and Ro808 and try to support this work here with respective simulations (see post #1 by Brandon).

Just some disclaimers:
- I'm probably not the most experienced person with respect to simulations around here. I started a 'how to use ABEC'-thread in a German DIY forum some time ago (see here if interested). There are some DIYs with much more experience on simulations and waveguide construction around in this German forum, who considerably contributed to the ABEC-thread. I'm still learning...
- However, I'll support Brendons great work as good as possible anyway.
- My replies my be late and some results may be communicated via Brendon and Ro808 as I have only very little time for the hobby actually...

@Zonnenschimmel
Quote:
Not sure if possible but I would be very interested in (and even pondered trying to sim it myself) a Seas DXT type waveguide.
I did quite some simulations on how the Seas DXT waveguide works here. Especially #199 to #206. May be this helps.

The linked thread is on how to construct a constant directivity waveguide. Funny enough, I ended up with elliptical waveguides as well, comparable to Brandons approach.

Regards,
Christoph
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:34 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help so far Christoph! I just applied for the student license of ABEC and see how far I can get. When you get a chance PM me with your basic workflow for going from the CAD file to ABEC sim. Nothing detailed is necessary, just a high level overview.

Thanks
Brandon
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:26 PM   #19
Zonneschimmel is offline Zonneschimmel  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link, I can read some German but it'll take some google-translate help to get all the details :-)
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:43 PM   #20
Gaga is offline Gaga  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Brandon, I'll PM you or will give the workflow here. May need some time though...

A critical step for ABEC simulations is getting a proper mesh from the *.stp file. I do this with Gmsh and described basic steps here.

Basic information on 'how to ABEC' can be found here (watch out, German) or in the extremely helpful () helpful and examples provided with ABEC.

Hi Zonneschimmel, Just let me know, if something get's lost in translation , I'll b happy to translate and clarify...

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!Hide this!Advertise here!