Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2018, 09:42 PM   #171
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know if you seen the results in this thread for the SB21, but THAT is nice. Great response on a waveguide AND a shorting ring which the SB19 lacks.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:59 PM   #172
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah I need to get me some of those. I bought the SB19 for a cheap project and wound up using them over and over and over, because they're so waveguide friendly. They're cheap and low-tech but they work really well.
Old 9th October 2018, 05:25 PM   #173
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
I don't know if you seen the results in this thread for the SB21, but THAT is nice. Great response on a waveguide AND a shorting ring which the SB19 lacks.
Yes, this measures VERY well. But what if I would like something a bit more "high end" (yes, thats difficult terminology)? What about a Scanspeak 20mm ring radiator (R2004/602000)? Or the mysterious Satori 21mm Be dome? Any other suggestions?
Old 9th October 2018, 07:40 PM   #174
Pida is offline Pida  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Do you mean something like that? It is D2004 in 150mm WG.
Shamal :: Pkaudio

I think that R2004 would perform well too. I plan to measure it. Here is R2004/D2004 comparison in 120mm WG.
WG mereni :: Pkaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post

But what if I would like something a bit more "high end" (yes, thats difficult terminology)? What about a Scanspeak 20mm ring radiator (R2004/602000)? Or the mysterious Satori 21mm Be dome? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Pida; 9th October 2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 9th October 2018, 08:31 PM   #175
Gaga is offline Gaga  Europe
diyAudio Member

I have very good experience with the SB26ADC for use in waveguides. The SB26ADC measures very well in terms of distortion and has good wide directivity at high frequencies (see linked datasheet). In addition, the faceplate can be removed andthe tweeter can be coupled directly to the WG throat. Though not exactly high end-priced...

If you prefer something more 'fancy', the SB26cdc should work as well. Seems tp be based on the same motor and faceplate as the SB26ADC - though I did not use it so far.

From my limited experience,
- and as already said, a small diameter membrane is preferable;
- ring radiators seem to be 'easy' to couple to WGs, as they narrow directivity at high frequencies, which minimizes possible mismatch with the WG throat (at cost of narrow directvity at high frequencies);
- check if the faceplate surface is flat or if it can be removed (if the tweeter is 'zwangszentriert') - a rounded faceplate might hamper good fit to the WG-throat;
- I'd avoid tweeters with large surrounds - they again hinder easy fit of tweeter and WG-throat;
- if you like to use a tweeter with faceplate, I'd use a tweeter with flat faceplate and a slightly countersinked, relatively flat dome (see discussion on the 'Step' at the WG throat within this thread) and small surround...

Personally, I actually have a close look at tweeters with concave, inverted membranes for use in WGs, like Accuton C25-6-012, old Focal tweeters or the TB 25-2234S...

May be the Transducer Lab tweeters are worth to have a closer look. However, I did not work with them so far...

Best would be to develop the WG specifically for your tweeter of choice.

PS: Alexander Hei▀mann published quite some tweeter-WG-measurements on his homepage...

Last edited by Gaga; 9th October 2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: PS
Old 10th October 2018, 08:30 AM   #176
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Pida> thanks for those links! Some of those Scans do quite well on a waveguide. I would be open to designing something if someone wanted to donate a tweeter. Assuming my printer doesn't put the brakes on all the waveguides I'm sending him.

Mbrennwa> I think Pida and Gaga make some good suggestions. Don't disregard the SB26 family just because of price. I'm going to grab the ceramic (anodized aluminum really) SB26CDC for future measurements. Also forgot I had the fabric variant SB26STAC all this time too!
Old 10th October 2018, 09:46 AM   #177
diyAudio Member

My favorite would be a Scanspeak 6640, but high efficiency, high impedance, and smaller diameter :-)

No, seriously, a Scanspeak R2904/7000 ring radiator with a waveguide might be interesting for the Monkey Coffin project due to it's highish efficiency. It's still not a small diameter, but it seems ring radiators are a bit more relaxed with this.

Thoughts?

Last edited by mbrennwa; 10th October 2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11th October 2018, 07:06 AM   #178
Gaga is offline Gaga  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thoughts?
Well, as you ask...

As far as I understand, you defined the 3'' Volt midrange dome VM752 as midrange driver for your project. This has relatively wide directivity around the intended crossover region - obviously I'd try to aim for the same directivity for the tweeter there and keep this wide directivity to the high frequencies as far as possible.

This will not be possible with a deep waveguide or vise versa, a possible waveguide should probably only have a slight effect on directivity around the crossover region.

A ring-driver with it's inherently narrowing of directivity to high frequencies seems not the logical choice here.

Said that, I'd suggest the Bliesma T34A (or T34B if you like to go for Berillium) for your project. Directivity measurements can be found here or here for example.

This tweeter has high efficiency, wide directivity up to high frequencies and is definitely on the high-end side...

Use it with no or a very shallow waveguide in order not to interact with it's very good HF directivity. The WG should 'just' adjust directivity at crossover. A good development can be seen here at German DIY forum. Note: They use a Accuton C168-6-990 Cell as midrange. I could do a simulation if you really consider the Bliesma as HT.

Sorry for the slight off-topic here.
Old 11th October 2018, 08:41 AM   #179
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga View Post
Sorry for the slight off-topic here.
I took your post over here Open Source Monkey Box
Old 16th October 2018, 09:03 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

Sorry for insisting... I found Troels' tests with some of the 'large' Scanspeak tweeters in Jantzen waveguides. Most of them gave results that looked quite a bit better than mine with the Monacor WG300 (see post 167). Is it possible that the shallow Jantzen waveguide is more 'forgiving' than the deeper WG300?

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!Hide this!Advertise here!