Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2018, 07:39 PM   #151
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

You have to consider the surround diameter also, since that is what sets the throat diameter.

I don't know why some tweeters do well and others not. Like that 833000 on a round wave guide. I have some ideas though, I think I'm going to revisit using a partial ellipse for the profile of the wall.
Old 14th September 2018, 08:05 PM   #152
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Is the SB26ADC supposed to be used with its own faseshield?
Old 14th September 2018, 08:29 PM   #153
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
You have to consider the surround diameter also, since that is what sets the throat diameter.

I don't know why some tweeters do well and others not. Like that 833000 on a round wave guide. I have some ideas though, I think I'm going to revisit using a partial ellipse for the profile of the wall.
Take a look at the Sd specs, which should take into account half of the surround. The 833000 Sd is 8cm, the 6640 Sd is 7cm. This suggests the diameter of the 6640 is less than that of the 833000. But that's just hand waving... I'll have to put that waveguide on my 6600 and see for myself how this works.
Old 14th September 2018, 08:32 PM   #154
Gaga is offline Gaga  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I think I used a Mac-based speaker measurement software you developed many years ago... nice to meet here.

Quote:
I actually prefer Be dome tweeters like the ScanSpeak 6640 or the Satori TW29BN. From screening this thread I tend to believe that those tweeters don't play well with (custom?) waveguides. Is that correct? Why? What makes a tweeter a good tweeter for waveguides?
Well, not easy to answer. Some issues here (disclaimer - with quite some speculations): Mechanically it's about the adaption to the WG-throat, i.e. is the front plate of the tweeter plane or rounded around the dome? Can you remove the faceplate ('Zwangszentrierung') to fit the dome tho the WG-throat? A good fit of the dome/surround to the throat. With a custom WG that's just by chance.
A second criteria might be the directivity of the tweeter at high frequencies. A higher directivity tends to minimize interaction with the WG throat which help to get a smooth high frequency range. That might be the reason, why ring radiator tweeter often work well with custom waveguides.
And I'll definitely second augerpro: the diameter of the tweeter (including surrounding).
As you are familiar with German language, you might be interested to take a look at the thread on 'how-to constant directivity'-thread at the German DIY-hifi-forum - quite some information here. Some of the simulations indicate that it might be beneficial, if the tweeter membrane is perpendicular to the WG throat (even if it needs to implement a 'step' at the WG-throat to achieve this).
Bottomline: It's kind of tiral and error to ideally match a tweeter to a custom WG - or you construct the WG to a specific tweeter
Old 14th September 2018, 08:34 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is the SB26ADC supposed to be used with its own faseshield?
You can put off the faceplate of the SB26ADC and mount the dome directly to a WG.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:06 PM   #156
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga View Post
You can put off the faceplate of the SB26ADC and mount the dome directly to a WG.
Thx I forgot that you have to remove the faceplate to mount the tweeter on the waveguide.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:21 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some of the simulations indicate that it might be beneficial, if the tweeter membrane is perpendicular to the WG throat (even if it needs to implement a 'step' at the WG-throat to achieve this).
This is exactly what I was thinking and why wanted to revisit the ellipse as profile. I can be steep (90 degree) at the dome, but than smoothly transitioning to the baffle.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:24 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
Take a look at the Sd specs, which should take into account half of the surround. The 833000 Sd is 8cm, the 6640 Sd is 7cm. This suggests the diameter of the 6640 is less than that of the 833000. But that's just hand waving... I'll have to put that waveguide on my 6600 and see for myself how this works.
I wish SB would just release the Be version of the SB26 they are making for Revel!
Old 15th September 2018, 01:38 PM   #159
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,
I think I used a Mac-based speaker measurement software you developed many years ago... nice to meet here.
Oh, wow, that was a looooong time ago!

Quote:
Well, not easy to answer. Some issues here (disclaimer - with quite some speculations): Mechanically it's about the adaption to the WG-throat, i.e. is the front plate of the tweeter plane or rounded around the dome? Can you remove the faceplate ('Zwangszentrierung') to fit the dome tho the WG-throat? A good fit of the dome/surround to the throat. With a custom WG that's just by chance.
A second criteria might be the directivity of the tweeter at high frequencies. A higher directivity tends to minimize interaction with the WG throat which help to get a smooth high frequency range. That might be the reason, why ring radiator tweeter often work well with custom waveguides.
And I'll definitely second augerpro: the diameter of the tweeter (including surrounding).
As you are familiar with German language, you might be interested to take a look at the thread on 'how-to constant directivity'-thread at the German DIY-hifi-forum - quite some information here. Some of the simulations indicate that it might be beneficial, if the tweeter membrane is perpendicular to the WG throat (even if it needs to implement a 'step' at the WG-throat to achieve this).
Bottomline: It's kind of tiral and error to ideally match a tweeter to a custom WG - or you construct the WG to a specific tweeter
I had a look at that thread, which seems interesting. However, the figures don't show and it's a bit difficult to understand what you did without the figures.
Old 15th September 2018, 05:26 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had a look at that thread, which seems interesting. However, the figures don't show and it's a bit difficult to understand what you did without the figures.
Ah yes, sorry, you would have to register. I can post some relevant info and images here, if augerpro does not mind...

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!Hide this!Advertise here!