Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2018, 09:54 PM   #121
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Don't forget inter-driver spacing vertically in relation to about an octave above the crossover freq. +. (..at least relative to the type of crossover). <snip>
Yes one reason I wanted to try the elliptical mouth was to help driver offset. That it ended up being the best measuring was just icing on the cake. All of my designs now are elliptical mouths for these reasons.

I also moved the screw holes a few months ago just so I could cut into the bottom flange a bit just as you said.
Old 26th August 2018, 10:03 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

SB26ADC in 5" G and SB21SDC in 5" A in .STEP format, which should be easier for the CNC people:

Dropbox - 5x.75 G SB26 v5.step
Dropbox - 5x.75 A SB21 v5.step

And SB26ADC in 8" C, .stl and .step:

Dropbox - 8x1.5 C SB26 v3.step
​​​​​​​Dropbox - 8x1.5 C SB26 v3.stl
Old 26th August 2018, 10:14 PM   #123
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Yes one reason I wanted to try the elliptical mouth was to help driver offset.
Ah, didn't read it fully

-another reason why the deeper profile (1.5") isn't showing the characteristic dip of a fully concentric (round) design that I'd expect.

Well done!
Old 26th August 2018, 10:34 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

If there is interest, I can cut down the model to basically just the actual waveguide, so it can be readily ported to a CNC and cut directly into the baffle.
Old 26th August 2018, 10:48 PM   #125
andy19191 is offline andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

To add to information about applications, the possible group speaker design mentioned earlier is intended to be suitable for inexperienced builders. Sending a file to the printers for a waveguide and then bolting it on is fine. CNC work is probably more for an experienced builder.
Old 27th August 2018, 12:48 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Easy yes, but 3D printing is still really expensive for a model like this. Might be easier for some to take a baffle and file down to their local CNC shop and have them mill it for a lot cheaper. At least that has been my experience so far.
Old 27th August 2018, 09:45 AM   #127
andy19191 is offline andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hmmm... You are quite correct. I have rather confused myself with the cost of printing at the local hackspace shop. I checked a quote for an SLS print of a pair of your waveguides from a random commercial supplier and it was £432. At £20 or so for a pair it makes sense but obviously not at twenty times the price. Interesting and more thought required.
Old 27th August 2018, 09:52 AM   #128
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Open source Waveguides for CNC &amp; 3D printing!
Elliptical woofer: http://sonido.hu/adat_pdf/SWR-096A_Product_sheet.pdf
Old 27th August 2018, 09:53 AM   #129
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Open source Waveguides for CNC &amp; 3D printing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy19191 View Post
Hmmm... You are quite correct. I have rather confused myself with the cost of printing at the local hackspace shop. I checked a quote for an SLS print of a pair of your waveguides from a random commercial supplier and it was £432. At £20 or so for a pair it makes sense but obviously not at twenty times the price. Interesting and more thought required.
Ask Winbo in China for large prints. They are about 65$ each.
Old 27th August 2018, 04:24 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy19191 View Post
One option I considered early on was to mill two scallops into the waveguide wall. Then design the phase shield separately that had matching ends so it could be keyed to the waveguide in perfect alignment. That way you CNC the waveguide, but have a high quality print done of the phase shield.

Open source Waveguides for CNC &amp; 3D printing!Hide this!Advertise here!