Some speaker driver measurements...

Seems odd that SB has the MW16TX-4 as higher sensitivity than the paper version, but HFC's results are the opposite?

19cm version is also more sensitive according to SB, but only a bit and in HFC's results are basically a wash. That's good, I had a 3-way in mind and didn't want to spend the money on the TX version for the woofer if there wasn't a benefit.

Once again, thanks for the review :)

celef said:
It looks good but at this price point i would expect more, i have this feeling that sb acoustics is rather sloppy, why do not they fix obvious flaws?

This driver certainly is very (too ?) expensive.

But what obvious flaws do you see about it ? The 16 khz dip ? That would be a consequence of the waveguide's throat width. Not something you can easily correct unless you use a smaller tweeter. Maybe you are thinking about something else ?

Pida said:
I recall my results of TW29DN and Jantzen WG, there was no dip (actually it is more like diffraction) around 17kHz, and I always wonder if TW29BN would work well in that WG too. Definitely worth trying before bying this BNWG.
Jantzen WG has very different profile compared to BNWG.

The WG design has an influence of course. But, IMO, the main cause for the absence of the 17Khz dip in the TW29DN case probably comes from its more directive off axis response compared to the beryllium version (earlier break-up of the soft diaphragm). According to Hificompass test, the former has a deep null right 60° off axis where the beryllium is narrowing, but not as much. Ring radiator tweeters are even narrower than soft dome.

attachment.php
attachment.php

TW29DN soft dome FR above, TW29BN beryllium below. Because of its narrower directivity above 10khz, the soft dome version probably does not interact as much with the waveguide throat, which would explain the absence of the dip in your case.

Attachments

• tw29bn-4_offaxis_normalized_5-30db.png
    tw29bn-4_offaxis_normalized_5-30db.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,391
  • tw29dn-b-8_offaxis_normalized_5-30db.png
    tw29dn-b-8_offaxis_normalized_5-30db.png
    38 KB · Views: 1,420
Not close to ATC. If it had a more normal rear chamber, it would be very comparable to the Morel offerings with a bit more extended high end response, not sure that extended high end is super important for midrange use. As it is, the small tube chamber still throws me for a loop, so I would tend to lean towards Morel dome mids as my choice preference.

MD60N-6 is most comparable to the Dayton RS52 I think. Once you make the response flat the distortion below perhaps 700-800Hz is going to become unacceptable at high volume levels. It only looks OK there in the HD measurements because it's naturally heavily rolled off.

The only dome I've seen which can go low like the ATC is the Tang Band 75-1558SE and perhaps Morel MDM75. All of these are now relics of history so I'd give up on the idea of having a dome go lower than 700-800Hz at high volumes.

The Morels aren't nearly as good performers in non-linear distortion as any of the aforementioned drivers. Their frequency response is much easier to work with but personally I'd take the driver with better HD and a rougher frequency response. You can hammer a rough frequency response into shape but you can't remedy subpar non-linear performance.

One dome that I haven't seen tested but am somewhat hopeful for is the HiVi DMN-A, not to be confused with the DMB-A which is nothing to write home about and very Morel-ish in its performance.

Last edited: