Some speaker driver measurements...

A an act of "desperation" .. :D, well, if they have a backup plan or parts and solutions reserved for another series but want to use it now as they have multiple drivers planned for the Satori TX series. There are only two drivers besides the MW16TX which can be considered new and they were recently talk about in the thread. Other than that, not much.

I am sure we'll know soon enough what SBA is up to :)

Not at all. I firmly believe that manufacturers give performance by tea spoon and only when they absolutely have to. A simple detail like shape of the pole piece and copper sleeve or ring make class difference in measured performance (sadly, also in price). Those are well known things for decades now (Philips woofers that are about 30+ years old have copper sleeves over their pole piece). What about less known details you can use to further improve measured performance ? Doesn't make a difference in production cost but doing something certain way will/can improve performance (few known are shape and size of the pole piece vent, type of vc former and are there vents in it, symmetrical spider, cone edge cuts, and so on...). Going full on with performance, firing from all weapons i have seen only from small manufacturers of raw drivers and in flagship products of a few well known companies.

I really think that people would wet their panties if someone would measure dual concentric from Kef Blade II or any of the drivers from Vivid audio Giya G1 Spirit.

Last edited:
Giya G2 measures ridiculously good regarding distortion at Soundstage. I'd really like to se how Giya G1 spirit measures distortion wise with new 6" midrange cone breakup being at 10.5kHz and 2" dome midrange with breakup above 20kHz. As a reminder, NRC measured distortion in Giya G2 at 95dB/2m distance - equivalent to 101dB at 1m distance. Not naive conditions for any loudspeaker out there.

Best measuring of all (that i was interested to look) at Sounstage are Giya G2, Kef R11 and Focal Sopra No2. Blade 2 measurements i can not comment untill i see the whole distortion profile and where it comes from. I'd really like to see that driver measured - what ever the outcome might be.

Giya G2 measures ridiculously good regarding distortion at Soundstage. I'd really like to se how Giya G1 spirit measures distortion wise with new 6" midrange cone breakup being at 10.5kHz and 2" dome midrange with breakup above 20kHz. As a reminder, NRC measured distortion in Giya G2 at 95dB/2m distance - equivalent to 101dB at 1m distance. Not naive conditions for any loudspeaker out there.

Best measuring of all (that i was interested to look) at Sounstage are Giya G2, Kef R11 and Focal Sopra No2. Blade 2 measurements i can not comment untill i see the whole distortion profile and where it comes from. I'd really like to see that driver measured - what ever the outcome might be.

I don't see anything special about these the measurements. The graphs only have the ability to show 50dBs of difference from the top to the bottom. In most cases we're getting spikes up at around -40dB with some showing what would appear to be an overall flatline level of -45 to -50dB. That's par for the course with well designed drivers showing 2nd order dominance. That's for the good speakers.

Mostly we see tragic performance with drivers being mis-used among manufacturers who both make their own drivers or buy in from 3rd parties. Then again we see nothing surprising, distortion spikes from cone edge surround resonances, distortion peaks from metal drivers going too high and tweeters being pushed too hard.

What's notable about the Giya G2 with respect to non-linearity is that the design is:

1. a 4-way.
2. utilizes 4th order filters.
3. the upper and lower mid drivers span only 2 octaves each.
4. the upper-bass has 2 drivers.

It's a design that's going to keep out most of the distortion from the drivers (..except the bass drivers below 60 Hz).

I have mentioned Giya G2 as a concept that is heavily upgraded in G1 spirit if Laurence Dickie is to be trusted. Interview can be found here:

YouTube

As for Kef R11 and Focal Sopra No2 - there is not even a hint of distortion rise even at 101dB/m. Revel Ultima Salon 2 or Studio aren't nearly as good. YG Acoustics Anat Reference also, but i see now, they're using Revelators. Sonja is the one that uses Iluminator with cones made from aluminium block.

Last edited:
If you are deciding on what drivers to measure in the future, it would be great if you could focus on 1.5"-3" compact mids. I'm looking at mids for a near-field application with minimal lobing.

e.g. Morel MDM55 / TM4055-8, Dayton RS52AN, Vifa TA/TC series (especially TC7FD and TC9FD), SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 / SB10PGC21-4, Scan-Speak 5F/8422T-01, Peerless 830985 / 830986, Fountek FR88EX, etc. Basically anything that competes with the SS 10F-x424G00 in either performance or value.

Last edited: