Some speaker driver measurements...

HifiCompass: any idea what is going on with C25, C30, BD51 distortion around 9kHz? I would guess for some resonance, maybe front grill, but waterfall looks clean around that frequency.

I know for sure that no one can solve this problem on their own, so you should ask Accuton directly about this. I'm not sure that Accuton knows, otherwise they would have solved this problem a long time ago:)

Last edited:
I am currently using a very similar driver, the C173-6-096E, in a 4-way system as the midrange.
It has been very difficult to make it sound ok. It only operates up to 1600 Hz in that system. Choosing the xo frequency higher, the speaker is missing some power in its high medium region.
It sounds very powerful, especially at high power levels. The fine resolution in music could be better. But using a 5th order elliptical filter, it is quite ok.

I am currently using a very similar driver, the C173-6-096E, in a 4-way system as the midrange.
It has been very difficult to make it sound ok. It only operates up to 1600 Hz in that system. Choosing the xo frequency higher, the speaker is missing some power in its high medium region.
It sounds very powerful, especially at high power levels. The fine resolution in music could be better. But using a 5th order elliptical filter, it is quite ok.
I'm quite agree with you as spent many hours trying to tame it.
I can only recommend you to change that driver to C90-6-724 - my favorite Accuton midrange, as it has much warmer character. But it lacks sensitivity...:(

Last edited:
I'm quite agree with you as spent many hours trying to tame it.
I can only recommend you to change that driver to C90-6-724 - my favorite Accuton midrange, as it has much more warmer character. But it lacks sensitivity...:(
Agree, the C90 is a very good one. A friend of me is using it, also with elliptical filtering, with very good results. The C90 has a more open character than the C173.
While making the design with the C173, it takes a long time before it starts playing well. It needs a very long playing-in time, I was very surprised about that. Now it is playing much more warm.

Last edited:
The measurements of Accuton C173-6-096 midwoofer have been added:

Accuton C173-6-096 | HiFiCompass

The cleanest (midbass non-linear distortion level) woofer ever created finally measured by HiFiCompass! Nonetheless, I expected cleaner reproduction in the midrange for this ultra-expensive thing. This confirms that this company's transducers are extremely expensive but not necessary extremely well engineered.

The measurements of Accuton C173-6-096 midwoofer have been added:

Accuton C173-6-096 | HiFiCompass

I can see that your measured absolute SPL level is about 2 dB lower than the datasheet values at 2.83Vrms.
With Accuton drivers I have the experience that the SPL level in the datasheet is about 2dB higher than the SPL that is calculated out of the TSP parameters (at low medium frequencies) and the SPL measured at higher frequencies with own calibrated equipment.
I had that problem in the past with a C173-6-096E and a C90-6-724.
So, the TSP that I calculated out of the impedance measurement were conform the datasheet TSP values, but the SPL wasn't.
In attach my C173 and C90, measured at 2.83Vrms at 1m with my equipment on IEC baffle (red) versus the datasheet (black).
I have to contact Accuton on this issue.

Attachments

• C173-6-096E datasheet versus customer measurement.JPG
    C173-6-096E datasheet versus customer measurement.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 411
  • C90-6-724 datasheet versus customer measurement.JPG
    C90-6-724 datasheet versus customer measurement.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 375
I'm quite agree with you as spent many hours trying to tame it.(
It took also some time for me to get the C173-6-090 right.
I went from a closed 4 liter to a 10 liter cone shaped aperiodic cabinet stuffed with 30 grams Twaron angelhair to get it sounding good.

Thx for all those measurements !
Nice to see the difference between C173-6-090 and C173-6-096,

Regards,
Danny

I can see that your measured absolute SPL level is about 2 dB lower than the datasheet values at 2.83Vrms.
With Accuton drivers I have the experience that the SPL level in the datasheet is about 2dB higher than the SPL that is calculated out of the TSP parameters (at low medium frequencies) and the SPL measured at higher frequencies with own calibrated equipment.
I had that problem in the past with a C173-6-096E and a C90-6-724.
So, the TSP that I calculated out of the impedance measurement were conform the datasheet TSP values, but the SPL wasn't.
In attach my C173 and C90, measured at 2.83Vrms at 1m with my equipment on IEC baffle (red) versus the datasheet (black).
I have to contact Accuton on this issue.
Your measurements are quite reliable:up:
It is known "illness" of Accuton regarding stated in the datasheet sensitivity parameter. Its value is always 1-2 dB higher than in reality. You need to ask about that from Accuton.

It took also some time for me to get the C173-6-090 right.
I went from a closed 4 liter to a 10 liter cone shaped aperiodic cabinet stuffed with 30 grams Twaron angelhair to get it sounding good.

Thx for all those measurements !
Nice to see the difference between C173-6-090 and C173-6-096,

Regards,
Danny

The next coming are C168-6-990 and C173-4-091N...

The measurements of speakers:

C173-6-090
C173-6-096
C173-4-091N
C90-6-724
C168-6-990

were taken at once, so there can be a small error (+/- 0.5 dB) in the absolute level, but can't be any relative offset error in frequency response magnitude each to other.