Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Some speaker driver measurements...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2019, 10:37 AM   #631
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneminde View Post
How do you get access to such inside info, did they publish it ?
They explained in a post on facebook, either one of the DIY pages or the SB fan page. Pls dont ask me to search for it..
Old 14th December 2019, 10:40 AM   #632
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Okay - thanks for the update - appreciated
Old 14th December 2019, 10:56 PM   #633
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I'll just remind of rule 11 (not allowed)

Quote:
11. Posts concerning moderator's directives or decisions, including reposting of such actions. Please use the Private Message or Report Post button to contact moderators with questions.
Old 15th December 2019, 02:22 AM   #634
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
Giya G2 measures ridiculously good regarding distortion at Soundstage. I'd really like to se how Giya G1 spirit measures distortion wise with new 6" midrange cone breakup being at 10.5kHz and 2" dome midrange with breakup above 20kHz. As a reminder, NRC measured distortion in Giya G2 at 95dB/2m distance - equivalent to 101dB at 1m distance. Not naive conditions for any loudspeaker out there.

Best measuring of all (that i was interested to look) at Sounstage are Giya G2, Kef R11 and Focal Sopra No2. Blade 2 measurements i can not comment untill i see the whole distortion profile and where it comes from. I'd really like to see that driver measured - what ever the outcome might be.
I don't see anything special about these the measurements. The graphs only have the ability to show 50dBs of difference from the top to the bottom. In most cases we're getting spikes up at around -40dB with some showing what would appear to be an overall flatline level of -45 to -50dB. That's par for the course with well designed drivers showing 2nd order dominance. That's for the good speakers.

Mostly we see tragic performance with drivers being mis-used among manufacturers who both make their own drivers or buy in from 3rd parties. Then again we see nothing surprising, distortion spikes from cone edge surround resonances, distortion peaks from metal drivers going too high and tweeters being pushed too hard.
Old 15th December 2019, 06:21 AM   #635
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

What's notable about the Giya G2 with respect to non-linearity is that the design is:

1. a 4-way.
2. utilizes 4th order filters.
3. the upper and lower mid drivers span only 2 octaves each.
4. the upper-bass has 2 drivers.

It's a design that's going to keep out most of the distortion from the drivers (..except the bass drivers below 60 Hz).
Old 15th December 2019, 09:09 AM   #636
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I have mentioned Giya G2 as a concept that is heavily upgraded in G1 spirit if Laurence Dickie is to be trusted. Interview can be found here:

YouTube

As for Kef R11 and Focal Sopra No2 - there is not even a hint of distortion rise even at 101dB/m. Revel Ultima Salon 2 or Studio aren't nearly as good. YG Acoustics Anat Reference also, but i see now, they're using Revelators. Sonja is the one that uses Iluminator with cones made from aluminium block.

Last edited by Zvu; 15th December 2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 15th December 2019, 10:02 AM   #637
diyAudio Member

I didn't know Vivid Audio is a Laurence Dickie creation, the man behind one of my favorite loudspeakers
Old 16th December 2019, 09:38 AM   #638
HiFiCompass is offline HiFiCompass  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

The measurements of the silk 2" dome midrange Dayton Audio RS52FN-8:

Dayton Audio RS52FN-8 | HiFiCompass
Old 22nd December 2019, 07:02 PM   #639
diyAudio Member

This will be interesting against the SBA 2.5” MD60N-6 - I wish SBA offered tube loading / tube absorbers on all drivers
Old 25th December 2019, 06:27 AM   #640
454Casull is offline 454Casull  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you are deciding on what drivers to measure in the future, it would be great if you could focus on 1.5"-3" compact mids. I'm looking at mids for a near-field application with minimal lobing.

e.g. Morel MDM55 / TM4055-8, Dayton RS52AN, Vifa TA/TC series (especially TC7FD and TC9FD), SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 / SB10PGC21-4, Scan-Speak 5F/8422T-01, Peerless 830985 / 830986, Fountek FR88EX, etc. Basically anything that competes with the SS 10F-x424G00 in either performance or value.

Last edited by 454Casull; 25th December 2019 at 06:55 AM.

Some speaker driver measurements...Hide this!Advertise here!