Some speaker driver measurements...

I'm not impressed with the Satori mid dome at all.

Yeah...

The old discontinued TangBand 75-1558SE had much more impressive HD figures above 1kHz, more Xmax, and had better SD to faceplate diameter ratio (50/55cm² with 140mm faceplate vs 32/36cm² with 130mm faceplate).

TangBand 75-1558SE | HiFiCompass

I bet SB Acoustic could design a better driver than the famous ATC SM75-150S or the Volt equivalent if they wanted to. It is a bit as if they were limiting themselves.

Last edited:
How does the Satori mid dome compare to the Morel EM1308, I know the Morel is a 2.1” and not so sensitive but looks flatter, has less break up and has a Fs of 320hz so can be used down to around 750hz crossover.

The subjective views of Hificompass on the Satori mid dome are quite interesting and go against the general trend of the SB cone drivers where they were moving towards lower distortion and cleaner more revealing sound (NAC, CAC, satori paper and textreme).

Yeah...

The old discontinued TangBand 75-1558SE had much more impressive HD figures above 1kHz, more Xmax, and had better SD to faceplate diameter ratio (50/55cm² with 140mm faceplate vs 32/36cm² with 130mm faceplate).

TangBand 75-1558SE | HiFiCompass

I bet SB Acoustic could design a better driver than the famous ATC SM75-150S or the Volt equivalent if they wanted to. It is a bit as if they were limiting themselves.

I tried using the Tang band 3" mid's years ago, but they were just too difficult to work with. They also didn't sound very good. Having unmodifiable rear enclosures on drivers that operate in the 400 to 2khz range sucks too.

I have issues seeing the utility of such a small midrange. The transition to smaller cones is in concert with the drive to lower the useful frequency response of dome tweeters as mentioned in the review. There is increased interest in horn-loaded models, which also helps mediate the driver directivity transition. I also don't see why anyone would have wanted to use this with a small driver like the PTT6.5 either.
It could be useful for mating to a small ribbon, AMT, or a ring radiator. I still feel that this midrange could have been made larger even with those types of drivers in mind.

From the conversations with the designer they SB Satori seem to be happy with their new creation. Its a pity they do not describe how they wanted us to use it, I seem to remember the term filler driver being used. Which is possibly not what many wanted or how they intended to use it in a design.

How does the Satori mid dome compare to the Morel EM1308, I know the Morel is a 2.1” and not so sensitive but looks flatter, has less break up and has a Fs of 320hz so can be used down to around 750hz crossover.

morel em1308:

morel_em_1308_risp.jpg

morel_em_1308_thd.jpg

morel_em_1308_imp.jpg

I tried using the Tang band 3" mid's years ago, but they were just too difficult to work with. They also didn't sound very good. Having unmodifiable rear enclosures on drivers that operate in the 400 to 2khz range sucks too.

Yes, I agree it's still not good enough below 1khz, also it's very good above. I would not even consider trying to cross it at 400hz. Unless it is the ATC or Volt models (which are still too large IMO), mid-domes aren't really that interesting for most use compared to well designed small cones.

From the conversations with the designer they SB Satori seem to be happy with their new creation. Its a pity they do not describe how they wanted us to use it, I seem to remember the term filler driver being used. Which is possibly not what many wanted or how they intended to use it in a design.
The MD60 is not a bad driver but, as others already said, I find its performance a bit underwhelming and its size quite large for its intended (and limited) use. IMO it could have either :

- An uncompromised compact, sensitive, very low distortion midrange dome for use in a 4 way speaker (like 800hz to 4/5k). In it current form it is too large (cannot cross as high without lobing) and it distortion is not good enough. I'm thinking like a better (and cheaper) Accuton Cell C51 in some way. It could even be designed in a pre-made dual direct radiating or waveguide plate with a tweeter like this morel model : TweeMid TM 4055-8 - Morel

- A competitor to the ATC/Volt midrange crossed at 400hz. Larger with more Xmax than the 4 way "filler" role, but better suited for 3way speakers.

Last edited:

It looks like the designer himself from Danesian Audio is most happy with the driver without using copper cap. Correct me if I am wrong, but Ulric Schmidt was former designer of Revelation line in Scan-Speak and probably responsible for 12M midrange design with similar technology solution and mostly H2 distortions.

Thanks Mr. K!

Seems like top performance across the board except for the disappointing IMD and low-end. What are your thoughts on its audibility, and do you think the IMD would be an issue if the Xmax were kept to 1 mm or below (same test conditions as in your review)?

For me, it doesn't seem like it beats the Purifi as the bottom of a 2-way, but could make for a really nice low-midrange in a 3-way or 4-way.

Nice set I’d data and looks very interesting, however, every picture I have seen of the TX seems to show the carbon weave not lining up with one set of holes, this would drive me mad from and aesthetic point of view in a finished speaker. Can anyone confirm that it is an effect on the layup and camera angle and in real life the quality control confirms that the weave does in fact line up?

Sadly, the mediocre low-end performance pushes it into dedicated mid duty, where the SB17NBAC is superior at much less $$$.
While I agree that the SB17NBAC has a much better price/performance ratio, and is probably just as good in the mids as those Textreme Satori, I don't think they are going to be quite as good in the low-end, because of their motor and suspension.

Erin from ASR did an in depth review of the SB17CAC SB Acoustics 6-inch Midwoofer SB17CAC35-4 Review - YouTube (virtually the same driver) and found that limited excursion (Klippel verified) was pretty much its only weakness. According to an AudioXpress/VoiceCoil review of the Satori MR16 midrange, the latter had better excursion (also Klippel verified) than the SB17. The woofer versions would also probably have better excursion. It would be interesting to compare the Satori and SB17 as far as IMD is concerned.

That being said, a small two way speaker is compromised anyway for both low-end and midrange reproduction IMO. A SB17/SB15NBAC or Textreme Satori between 200 and 2000Hz in conjuction with a waveguide equipped tweeter and a subwoofer is a much superior option (obviously bigger, more complex and expensive, I know :))

Last edited: