Some speaker driver measurements...

The measurements of SB Acoustics SB12CACS25-4 woofer:

SB Acoustics SB12CACS25-4 | HiFiCompass
Hmm... I wouldn't use this driver above 2kHz (and that with a 4th order LP), given the shelf in on-axis and the dropping off-axis. Doesn't seem to be a very good performer in the bass, so the SS 10F/4424 (8424) overall looks to be much better as the mid in a 3-way, or in a 2-way the full-copper-sleeve SB drivers are superior as well.

Although the 12CACS performance isn't bad the motor clearly isn't in the same league as that of the 15BNAC.

I'm glad that SB actually added a shorting ring to the CAC Vs SBs other 12 series drivers but am still at a complete loss as to why they don't go with the copper sleeve of the 15 and 17.

Reactions: 1 user
Although the 12CACS performance isn't bad the motor clearly isn't in the same league as that of the 15BNAC.

I'm glad that SB actually added a shorting ring to the CAC Vs SBs other 12 series drivers but am still at a complete loss as to why they don't go with the copper sleeve of the 15 and 17.
Yeah, you'd think the "xAC" series should all have them... oh well. Missed opportunity.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The cone materials are different, so the sounding is very different too.

Have you compared the SB 15/17 N(B)AC, CAC, CRC, MFC, NRX2?

I've always been curious about they sound
I have a SB15NBAC and MW13PNW.
I'd like to EQ them to within 0.1dB from in their useable frequency ranges (50Hz to ~2KHz) and compare them via listening.
No tweeter

Have you compared the SB 15/17 N(B)AC, CAC, CRC, MFC, NRX2?

I've always been curious about they sound

I have a SB15NBAC and MW13PNW.

I'd like to EQ them to within 0.1dB from in their useable frequency ranges (50Hz to ~2KHz) and compare them via listening.

No tweeter

Yes, one day I compared CRC, CAC, MFC and NRX.
I would place them in this order by my personal taste:

1. CRC and NRX
2. MFC
3. CAC

Hi, may i ask if you prefer a specific cone material sound ?
Personally i think that aluminum has a big potential for really great sound
thanks a lot
More often I prefer hard paper cone and sandwich cone speakers, but it is not a dogma. Overall sounding is very depend on the rest components in a setup. Personally, I don't like aluminum or ceramic based loudspeakers in conjunction with BJT-amplifiers, but if one have them paired with warm sounding amplifier and they will sound very nice[emoji846]

More often I prefer hard paper cone and sandwich cone speakers, but it is not a dogma. Overall sounding is very depend on the rest components in a setup. Personally, I don't like aluminum or ceramic based loudspeakers in conjunction with BJT-amplifiers, but if one have them paired with warm sounding amplifier and they will sound very nice[emoji846]

Hi thanks a lot for the very important advice. I like metal for its stiffness. The pistons are in aluminum :D
Seriously i like them heard in Canton speakers for instance. If the problem is ringing then an electronic x-over can cut more precisely the range.
Only issue to find a good one able to go up to 2kHz and reasonable price.
But i really would like to try one.
Kind regards, gino

SB12CACS for a nearfield mini monitor

I was in search for a small midwoofer to mate with OW1 crossing around 2.5-2.8kHz and was considering SB12CACS. The measurements created a little bit disappointment. Maybe I should reconsider SB12NRXF. But I'm afraid its distortion profile would be worse than the CACS, by not having even a shorting ring at all.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes, one day I compared CRC, CAC, MFC and NRX.
I would place them in this order by my personal taste:

1. CRC and NRX
2. MFC
3. CAC

Thank you Yevgeniy for your valuable insight.

I recall seeing some measurements of the SB17CRC, somewhere, having the best intermodulation distortion when compared to NAC. I can't recall where now.

I'm reminded of Einstein's
Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted

I get sense there's a favouristism towards hard cones, but some of the most listening beautiful experiences I've had is from paper-based cones eg. Scan-Speak, Satori...

I have learnt a lot to learn about measurements (numerical/visual representation of acoustic phenomena) since I started in this hobby (~2000), and looking forward to learning more.

Thank you for your continued work.

Last edited:
Thank you Yevgeniy for your valuable insight.

I recall seeing some measurements of the SB17CRC, somewhere, having the best intermodulation distortion when compared to NAC. I can't recall where now.

I'm reminded of Einstein's
Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted

I get sense there's a favouristism towards hard cones, but some of the most listening beautiful experiences I've had is from paper-based cones eg. Scan-Speak, Satori...
In theory, given the same size cone and when talking about cone response only (e.g. excluding interactions with the surround), all cones should sound the same when reproducing within the pistonic range. Of course, this also includes any harmonics as well, which is why nowadays you typically cut off a hard cone driver before its HD5 starts rising.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yevgeniy,

I'm sure I've missed this, and apologies in advance if this has been asked or reported on your website somewhere-

What's the measurements conditions-
eg.
What's your baffle size when taking measurements? IEC?
And all your graphs are reported as "Smoothed" - is this 1/12th octave smoothed?

In theory, given the same size cone and when talking about cone response only (e.g. excluding interactions with the surround), all cones should sound the same when reproducing within the pistonic range. Of course, this also includes any harmonics as well, which is why nowadays you typically cut off a hard cone driver before its HD5 starts rising.
Mmm... not sure if I like what I wrote here. Another component of a cone's performance is how much of the rear wave it allows to pass through (amplitude vs frequency etc.). Don't know how audible this effect is, nor the threshold, but it certainly differentiates between a plain metal cone and perhaps a carbon fiber/foam sandwich.