Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Some speaker driver measurements...
Some speaker driver measurements...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2019, 07:55 PM   #501
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the PPT only makes sense in a high-priced small two-way loudspeaker design.

Maybe as a lower mid in an extreme spl design that's relatively compact.
Old 16th November 2019, 08:03 PM   #502
danny_66 is offline danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Correct.
From the PPT I like the even FR, no cone breakup, low distortion.
I dislike the low sensitivity, it's 4ohm (3.7rdc) and only 88db.
So it's rather positioned as a driver for 2 ways and active.
Old 16th November 2019, 08:13 PM   #503
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I agree with danny_66. I judge this driver as a midrange in a 3 or 4-way or as the midwoofer in a 2-way. It has among the best falloff patterns I've seen and no cone breakup to talk about. Harmonic content is well controlled. Group delay is not the best but not horrible either.
Old 16th November 2019, 10:32 PM   #504
diyAudio Member

Perspectives from Danny Richie from GR-Research.

Selecting Drivers and Why it Matters!
Old 16th November 2019, 11:05 PM   #505
audiogod66 is offline audiogod66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneminde View Post
Perspectives from Danny Richie from GR-Research.

Selecting Drivers and Why it Matters!
Watched that yesterday great video and very true you have to measure your drivers to get the best sound . Be curious to see Danny Richie put it through it's paces . I appreciate the opinions I think for a high end active compact these PTT are going to be killer I still would like the SB Dome midrange in there as well however if that proves to be not very impressive then I guess it is PTT all the way .
Do any company's offer really good driver matching , testing and sale's like North Creek Audio used to ? Seas has shown ordinary pair matching lately
Old 16th November 2019, 11:13 PM   #506
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
Then quite cheesy comment about stronger motor in Bugatti Chiron and how it is heavy but fast. I'm not worried about how will it move, but how will it stop with twice as large mass and inertia of regular 7" driver and Cms of 1.1mm/N.
People always seem to get this wrong. Just like the amplifier brings the cone into motion it also brings it to a stop. The amplifier and motor are continuously moving the cone back and forth through the zero crossing. It can easily bring it to a stop at the zero crossing if that's what the music dictates.

And yes, when a transient occurs within the music the decay of said transient, either down to nothing, or to quieter parts is actually part of the music.
Old 16th November 2019, 11:43 PM   #507
audiogod66 is offline audiogod66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk123 View Post
Honestly, I think the true value proposition of this driver is that it allows you to AVOID multi-driver arrangements. I really don't see an application where you'd need 4 of these per side, and even 2 might not be optimal when it comes down to it. If you need that kind of output, you're almost certainly better off augmenting with a multi-sub arrangement below 80Hz rather than pushing your mains down lower. Particularly considering the cost.

If you're in a domestic scenario where you absolutely can't add boxes, then I could see an argument for 2 per side - they'd have bass output similar to a pair of Anarchy drivers but with lower distortion, and 2xAnarchy is reportedly very satisfying for music. I'd still consider going with a true 3-way though - even something as (relatively) pedestrian as a RSS265HO handling sub-80 can be done in a small ported cabinet. (or a side-firing 12 if you want to go sealed - easy to do with a DEQX)

My real question is whether the overall system cost with the PTT will be all that much higher than some of the competitors. It seems like a pretty easy driver to work with, and hence you might save on the xover cost to some degree (probably not $150/side though). PTT + DA25 might be interesting.
Good point I could just use the dual NHT XDA bass systems that I have 2 active opposing 10 inch Seas a side and just go with a simple 2 way and save a ton of money on extreme cabinet build.
Old 16th November 2019, 11:47 PM   #508
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
And yes, when a transient occurs within the music the decay of said transient, either down to nothing, or to quieter parts is actually part of the music.
Great statement The only way (as far as I know) to have full control is to allow the amplifier to have full control (active) and with a decent DF of >100. I am sure lots of people will claim that they like the flavor passive components add but if we are talking superior performance, neutral or naked rendition, then passive components cannot compete. Not only that, the benefits of active should be more evident as the temperature of the inductors and voice coil starts to do its thing. Lock in the FR response and bandwidth before the signal is amplified. The cabinet play a huge role as well, but that is for another debate
Old 17th November 2019, 12:08 AM   #509
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
People always seem to get this wrong. Just like the amplifier brings the cone into motion it also brings it to a stop. The amplifier and motor are continuously moving the cone back and forth through the zero crossing. It can easily bring it to a stop at the zero crossing if that's what the music dictates.
I've always found it helpful to envision a speaker as a "spring centered position servo". That is, it's job is to position the cone according to the (constantly changing) output voltage of the amplifier, making it a servo not a motor.
Old 17th November 2019, 12:34 AM   #510
dwk123 is offline dwk123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogod66 View Post
Good point I could just use the dual NHT XDA bass systems that I have 2 active opposing 10 inch Seas a side and just go with a simple 2 way and save a ton of money on extreme cabinet build.
Ha, interesting. I have a pair of the Xd monitor tops that I'm currently figuring out what to do with. I would have loved to get a set of the bass modules, but if those were ever available during the closeout firesale they were long-gone by the time I got engaged.

The Xd monitors work very well on top of RSS210hf woofer modules crossed around 200Hz. I'm running passive xovers on the Xd and active to the Daytons. I have a minidsp SHD that I need to get set up to drive this system, and then decide whether to leave it in this form or get ambitious and rebuild the drivers into something new - I'm aspiring to something like the Sonus Faber Elipsa form factor. (probably with RSS256HO replacing the 210 if I go that way)

In the context of the PTT, I get drawn in to the idea of higher end drivers, but then go back and remind myself just how good the Seas Excel sound and wonder whether it's really worth getting wound up over wanting to upgrade.

Some speaker driver measurements...Hide this!Advertise here!