Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Some speaker driver measurements...
Some speaker driver measurements...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2021, 03:46 PM   #1191
Scholl68 is offline Scholl68
diyAudio Member

Once again, thanks for the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef
It looks good but at this price point i would expect more, i have this feeling that sb acoustics is rather sloppy, why do not they fix obvious flaws?
This driver certainly is very (too ?) expensive.

But what obvious flaws do you see about it ? The 16 khz dip ? That would be a consequence of the waveguide's throat width. Not something you can easily correct unless you use a smaller tweeter. Maybe you are thinking about something else ?
Old 15th February 2021, 04:43 PM   #1192
HiFiCompass is offline HiFiCompass  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
I would like to know too, what is so wrong with TW29BNWG-4? I think, they pulled out the maximum of possible from mating a stock tweeter with a waveguide. If it was a design from scratch, they could achieve much better performance. But who needs it?
Old 15th February 2021, 04:48 PM   #1193
Pida is offline Pida  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I recall my results of TW29DN and Jantzen WG, there was no dip (actually it is more like diffraction) around 17kHz, and I always wonder if TW29BN would work well in that WG too. Definitely worth trying before bying this BNWG.
Jantzen WG has very different profile compared to BNWG.
Old 15th February 2021, 05:20 PM   #1194
HiFiCompass is offline HiFiCompass  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

The fabric dome behaves quite differently in the top octave compared to the beryllium dome, so the difference may be not only due to the waveguide shape
Old 15th February 2021, 05:27 PM   #1195
Scholl68 is offline Scholl68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pida
I recall my results of TW29DN and Jantzen WG, there was no dip (actually it is more like diffraction) around 17kHz, and I always wonder if TW29BN would work well in that WG too. Definitely worth trying before bying this BNWG.
Jantzen WG has very different profile compared to BNWG.
The WG design has an influence of course. But, IMO, the main cause for the absence of the 17Khz dip in the TW29DN case probably comes from its more directive off axis response compared to the beryllium version (earlier break-up of the soft diaphragm). According to Hificompass test, the former has a deep null right 60 off axis where the beryllium is narrowing, but not as much. Ring radiator tweeters are even narrower than soft dome.

Some speaker driver measurements...-tw29dn-8_offaxis_normalized_5-30db-png Some speaker driver measurements...-tw29bn-4_offaxis_normalized_5-30db-png

TW29DN soft dome FR above, TW29BN beryllium below. Because of its narrower directivity above 10khz, the soft dome version probably does not interact as much with the waveguide throat, which would explain the absence of the dip in your case.
Attached Images
File Type: png tw29bn-4_offaxis_normalized_5-30db.png (40.2 KB, 984 views)
File Type: png tw29dn-b-8_offaxis_normalized_5-30db.png (38.0 KB, 985 views)
Old 15th February 2021, 05:37 PM   #1196
Pida is offline Pida  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

All good points and I am well aware of them. I just mentioned that jantzen plus bn combo could work well. It is very easy to mount tw29 on jantzen wg.
Old 8th March 2021, 08:07 PM   #1197
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

#Puriwave
Old 21st March 2021, 11:51 PM   #1198
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiCompass View Post
The Satori MD60N-6 review:

Satori MD60N-6 | HiFiCompass
Thank you for reviewing this unit, very interesting. Looks like this unit would not be an alternative to ATC. Not too different though...
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:04 AM   #1199
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Not close to ATC. If it had a more normal rear chamber, it would be very comparable to the Morel offerings with a bit more extended high end response, not sure that extended high end is super important for midrange use. As it is, the small tube chamber still throws me for a loop, so I would tend to lean towards Morel dome mids as my choice preference.
Old 22nd March 2021, 02:58 AM   #1200
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
MD60N-6 is most comparable to the Dayton RS52 I think. Once you make the response flat the distortion below perhaps 700-800Hz is going to become unacceptable at high volume levels. It only looks OK there in the HD measurements because it's naturally heavily rolled off.

The only dome I've seen which can go low like the ATC is the Tang Band 75-1558SE and perhaps Morel MDM75. All of these are now relics of history so I'd give up on the idea of having a dome go lower than 700-800Hz at high volumes.

The Morels aren't nearly as good performers in non-linear distortion as any of the aforementioned drivers. Their frequency response is much easier to work with but personally I'd take the driver with better HD and a rougher frequency response. You can hammer a rough frequency response into shape but you can't remedy subpar non-linear performance.

One dome that I haven't seen tested but am somewhat hopeful for is the HiVi DMN-A, not to be confused with the DMB-A which is nothing to write home about and very Morel-ish in its performance.

Last edited by TMM; 22nd March 2021 at 03:08 AM.

Some speaker driver measurements...Hide this!Advertise here!