Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Some speaker driver measurements...
Some speaker driver measurements...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2021, 06:41 PM   #1161
454Casull is offline 454Casull  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholl68 View Post
While I agree that the SB17NBAC has a much better price/performance ratio, and is probably just as good in the mids as those Textreme Satori, I don't think they are going to be quite as good in the low-end, because of their motor and suspension.
But that's what we are talking about. When you take the low end out of the equation, there's no real reason to pick the Satori over the NAC/NBAC.
Old 21st January 2021, 06:42 PM   #1162
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

^^^^^
This one.
Old 21st January 2021, 06:48 PM   #1163
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I'd really like to see SB15CRC30-4 measurements.

That one could be the winner on multiple fields.
Old 21st January 2021, 06:51 PM   #1164
Scholl68 is online now Scholl68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
But that's what we are talking about. When you take the low end out of the equation, there's no real reason to pick the Satori over the NAC/NBAC.
I cannot be sure since I haven't listened to them, but probably true indeed, based on measurements.
Old 21st January 2021, 10:56 PM   #1165
briskly is offline briskly  United States
diyAudio Member

Some of these SB Acoustics drivers have off-axis suckouts in the midrange that match up with the near field dips. What is that null coming from?
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:29 AM   #1166
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Like this one?
SB Acoustics SB17CRC35-4 | HiFiCompass

That dip at 1500Hz or so is usually a result of the half-roll surround, and it exists on-axis too. At some frequency the surround starts operating out of phase with the cone, causing some cancellation. The surround construction here has a lot to do with it, it's common in many speakers, not just SB. The wavy pro-style surround help here, or something extra crazy like what Purifi does or some Fostex models had complex surround construction to combat the effect.

The good news is that the dip is short band, and won't offended since it's a dip rather than a peak. People usually aren't put off by what they don't hear.

Last edited by DcibeL; 22nd January 2021 at 12:36 AM.
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:36 AM   #1167
briskly is offline briskly  United States
diyAudio Member

I did think it would be the surround/edge resonance almost immediately after posting, but the more important part I forgot to put in would be how to address the edge resonance. Cone reinforcement or injecting the surround with damping material?
And yes it is common, but the SB units are otherwise more well-behaved than most others in the midband that it stands out.
In any case, the off-axis dip limits convenient x-over transition wrt directivity. In that case, the Textreme behaves too much like the NAC cone as measured instead of the datasheet, which seemed a little poorly fit as a midrange driver.
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:40 AM   #1168
YSDR is offline YSDR  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The dip between 1-2 kHz is not the surround, it's a cone (edge?) flexing resonance of the soft cone, the hard cones doesn't have this behavior. Easy to see with comparison, just check the alu vs paper from the same driver family, everything is the same except the cone, hard vs soft, same as with SEAS (alu vs paper) drivers.

Last edited by YSDR; 22nd January 2021 at 05:48 AM.
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:41 AM   #1169
Martigane is online now Martigane  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Yes, in my view, this 1.2k dip is a compound of edge resonance that affects not-so- rigid cones.

The suck-out in directivity aspect is interesting, i think it comes down to cone geommetry and dust cap.
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:27 PM   #1170
tktran303 is offline tktran303  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the review Yevgeniy,

Looking forward to the MW19TX-4 review.

Some speaker driver measurements...Hide this!Advertise here!