Some speaker driver measurements...

Thanks to generosity of one forum member from US which donated midwoofer SB15NBAC30-4 for testing we can see the measurements of that excellent speaker:

SB Acoustics SB15NBAC30-4 | HiFiCompass

Probably out of modesty, that guy didn't want that his name be known for community.

First cone break-up mode far away at 9kHz falling into area of dustcap break-up mode, smooth and flat impedance rise without signs of internal reflections or structural resonances, lowest HD in critical 1-3k range, no HD exploding on higher voltages, silent CSD, on the other hand, only acceptable sensitivity giving its Re of 3.1 Ohm and a little bit off-axis problems due to pistonic hard cone and tallish surround (why still single-roll is used in domestic audio?) But most importantly, it is CHEAP! Great great driver.

Last edited:
It is interesting how the SBA Satori woofer version (MW16P-8) shows lower overall distortion than the midrange version (MR16P-4), especially if you are considering 2nd order slopes to a woofer in a 3 way ~ 200Hz crossover - with an extra 2mm xmax. Allowing for the 4 ohm difference, I estimate you are only losing ~ 1dB sensitivity.

It looks on paper that the woofer, is a better wideband upper bass / midrange driver than the midrange version?

First cone break-up mode far away at 9kHz falling into area of dustcap break-up mode, smooth and flat impedance rise without signs of internal reflections or structural resonances, lowest HD in critical 1-3k range, no HD exploding on higher voltages, silent CSD, on the other hand, only acceptable sensitivity giving its Re of 3.1 Ohm and a little bit off-axis problems due to pistonic hard cone and tallish surround (why still single-roll is used in domestic audio?) But most importantly, it is CHEAP! Great great driver.

I use the 8 ohm version in an open baffle ( even though the sensitivity is rather low) the clarity of this driver is just remarkable once one has notched out the peaks at the upper end. An amazing driver for the price.

C.M

wow, the 5th order almost does not move.
its only issue seem:
-lots of energy stored around 9.5K (see waterfall), meaning high lowpass order and/or low cross over points are necessary.
I am not sure if the 3rd order harmonic peak at 3k is harmful.
In any case, I d try a second order LP 1800Hz with a solid tweet.

its only issue seem:
-lots of energy stored around 9.5K (see waterfall), meaning high lowpass order and/or low cross over points are necessary.
I am not sure if the 3rd order harmonic peak at 3k is harmful.
In any case, I d try a second order LP 1800Hz with a solid tweet.

I did 3 kHz 4th order and 2.5 kHz 4th order for C90-6-724 in my different systems and have to say 2.5/4 sounds better.

its only issue seem:
Yeah, it's definitely not a plus, but at the same time, no one should be using a mid of that size up high enough where the fundamental or any of the significant harmonics would be reproducing audible, distinguishable music at that frequency.