Some speaker driver measurements...

IMHO this midwoofer (the SB15MFC30-4) and the larger SB17MFC30 version are well executed poly cone drivers that can be purchased for a reasonable price. Not top of class in any one category, but good performance overall and easy to use (I use the SB17MFC30 as a nude dipole midrange).

BTW, thanks for continuing to publish your measurements. It's a luxury for DIYers to have access to a consistent set of data for a wide range of drivers! Kudos.
More interesting measurements to come...

Vifa NE series are a bit strange fruits.

NE comes from neodyme magnets in the motor. All are numbered after diameter of the mounting frame, like NE149. Actually it's radiating area is 4", measured from half of surround roll, despite you might guess it is 5". All have very deep cones that have very little resonances, but quite steep off-axis roll-off. Factory datasheet responses and all data is very reliable and consistent. Also distortion is low.

ne149w-04_8.jpg

https://www.tymphany.com/drivers/driver_functions/specsheet.php?id=624

Last edited:
Great, thanks! First things I check on your site (great site by the way) are on/off axis Fresp ; HD and waterfall.
Do you also plan to add the off axis measurements? I admit those are pretty predictable, but sometimes cone geometry plays a role.
Ufortunately, I can't add off axis data to those speaker measurements because I did them some years ago and in that times I didn't know what measurements I would use in my future web site. Since then many speakers have gone and all that I can do is to pull up some additional data from old measurements. All of today's and future measurements will include offa axis data.

Last edited:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
At least you need to consider putting “donate” button on your web page. With all your efforts and contributions to the community I think we should be able to support you. What you do is time and money consuming even if it is an activity you enjoy.

Thanks for the advices, guys:)
It seems there is a good rationalism in your words. Will try to add that button in future.
For whose who want their favourite drivers measured and published at hificompass.com - you are welcome! Feel free to contact me.
The way pointed by Charles Darwin will be OK.
I plan to add to the web site some form to ask my users which speakers they would want to see measured.